GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Senators @ Jets - Dec 3, 2017, 7:00PM

+4
Ev
PTFlea
Flo The Action
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Looks like maybe the team wasn't too happy about losing such a key part and standup guy?

If that’s really the reason than they need to suck it up and be professional. It’s part of the game.

I think the real reason is that we did overachieve playing under the system last year. The book is out on the Sens and we can’t duplicate that this year, teams are ready. Things will have to change. We relied on karlsson being godly and now he’s just awesome. We likely need a top 4 D man and another top 6 forward to be a contender. Is that gonna happen? Unlikely.

More worriesome is that slowly it seems karlsson is showing signs of wanting to leave the org.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Looks like maybe the team wasn't too happy about losing such a key part and standup guy?

If that’s really the reason than they need to suck it up and be professional. It’s part of the game.

I think the real reason is that we did overachieve playing under the system last year. The book is out on the Sens and we can’t duplicate that this year, teams are ready. Things will have to change. We relied on karlsson being godly and now he’s just awesome. We likely need a top 4 D man and another top 6 forward to be a contender. Is that gonna happen? Unlikely.

More worriesome is that slowly it seems karlsson is showing signs of wanting to leave the org.

I dont see those signs at all, but if he keeps it up then the org should show signs of moving in from him.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

As Prags said, it was nice to get it over with early so I could watch something else. There is just nothing working for the team right now and it's sad to watch.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:As Prags said, it was nice to get it over with early so I could watch something else.  There is just nothing working for the team right now and it's sad to watch.

I still watch the games. Trying to catch a glimpse of a turn around. Whatever it is this team isn’t working. I find it hard to believe that they have already tuned out Boucher.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Typical step back after going deep last year.  Sure there are problems with the roster but every team has those. Hopefully EK doesn't believe what he said after the game.  It's time for the better players to step up and lead, I saw it from Stone last night but we need to see it from EK, Dion, Brass and Anderson vs the Kings.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Duchesse might need to be moved to the wing and Pageau moved up or Smith moved to the middle.  Can't have your centre playing in zone like a winger.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:Typical step back after going deep last year.  Sure there are problems with the roster but every team has those. Hopefully EK doesn't believe what he said after the game.  It's time for the better players to step up and lead, I saw it from Stone last night but we need to see it from EK, Dion, Brass and Anderson vs the Kings.

What did EK say? I was watching the French stream so I did not hear any post game comments

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Just the typical, we started the 2nd period better and the usual bad bounces nonsense. They were Wing Dang Doodle and they didn't seem to care. Stone was on point saying they weren't prepared and there was a complete lack of effort.  Could this be a turning point where Stone takes on the #1 leadership role in the room.  Let's hope.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

At the end of the day, you usually need a Canadian captain to win a Cup...

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:At the end of the day, you usually need a Canadian captain to win a Cup...

Are you suggesting a transfer of captaincy to stone or even more inflammatory, trading karlsson?

I saw all the captaincy I needed out of karlsson in the playoffs last year.
I’m fine with him wearing the C. What needs to happen is likely having more than a few leading voices in the locker room.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Find a way to trade Smith, Ceci and Harpur/Paul for Scandella and Kane. Would solve a lot of problems for both teams.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:At the end of the day, you usually need a Canadian captain to win a Cup...

Are you suggesting a transfer of captaincy to stone or even more inflammatory, trading karlsson?

I’m fine with him wearing the C. What needs to happen is likely having more than a few leading voices in the locker room.

Now is the time to make that determination. I'd personally rather a player like Tavares over Karlsson. Karlsson's had some pretty serious injuries. Without his speed (which we are seeing now) Karlsson loses his ability to be dynamic.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:

I have nothing against him personally, but if this is the Karlsson we can expect going forward, he isn't worth shelling out $12+ million in my opinion.

I was just saying, there has been something like 8 non Canadian captains who won the Cup.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Find a way to trade Smith, Ceci and Harpur/Paul for Scandella and Kane. Would solve a lot of problems for both teams.

The Sens would never take on Kane. You can forget about that right now.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Find a way to trade Smith, Ceci and Harpur/Paul for Scandella and Kane. Would solve a lot of problems for both teams.

The Sens would never take on Kane. You can forget about that right now.

Yeah I’m not a fan of Kane. Of the ice mostly. You can leave a guy like that off our team.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I have nothing against him personally, but if this is the Karlsson we can expect going forward, he isn't worth shelling out $12+ million in my opinion.

I was just saying, there has been something like 8 non Canadian captains who won the Cup.
I think you are partially right. But there lies the question, is karlsson going to stay that way? Is this still because he has a nagging injury?
Because yeah, he’s not worth 12 mill but he will want it.

I have a feeling he can come back and be he player he was but it might need another year and another operation. That’s a lot to deal with.
I don’t think he’s the next Bobby Ryan of this team but if he lacks his mobility than he’s more likely an 8mill Dman not 12. Tough call. But I can’t see this team without kalrsson. I guess if a team offers us the moon in échange you have to think long and hard but it could still very much backfire on us.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I think Karlsson gets back to his old self by next season but the Sens wind up dealing him anyway.  Newport has Carey Price and if they want the same deal for Karlsson at 10.5 per year then Melnyk will likely not sign off on it.  The cap hit and term aren't the problem it's the structure. Heavily front loaded with signing bonuses.  15M in year 1 and 2 with 13M paid on July 1st of each of those years. I can't see Melnyk dropping 13M before generating any revenue.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:I think Karlsson gets back to his old self by next season but the Sens wind up dealing him anyway.  Newport has Carey Price and if they want the same deal for Karlsson at 10.5 per year then Melnyk will likely not sign off on it.  The cap hit and term aren't the problem it's the structure. Heavily front loaded with signing bonuses.  15M in year 1 and 2 with 13M paid on July 1st of each of those years. I can't see Melnyk dropping 13M before generating any revenue.

Good point but Melnyk has to know the value of Kalrsson to this team in the sale of he franchise. He is an asset if he’s under contract and a valuable one in terms of marketing this team. I think this goes both ways. What’s a few millions now if it means he gets higher value in a sale.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum