GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gaborik was offered in trade

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gaborik was offered in trade Empty Gaborik was offered in trade Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:39 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Well the Marian Gaborik trade rumors are about to get bigger than they already are.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=253306&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_main

2Gaborik was offered in trade Empty Re: Gaborik was offered in trade Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:42 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

With his cap hit at this early in the season, lingering injury (and history), lack of contract and salary demands, I think he's a pretty hard sell at this point.

3Gaborik was offered in trade Empty Re: Gaborik was offered in trade Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:44 pm

mattbond wrote:With his cap hit at this early in the season, lingering injury (and history), lack of contract and salary demands, I think he's a pretty hard sell at this point.

I don't. The hard part is getting value back to Minny. Finding someone to take him is easy. Finding someone to give up the farm for him will be very tough, especially with Minny being at a disadvantage.

4Gaborik was offered in trade Empty Re: Gaborik was offered in trade Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:24 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock34 wrote:
I don't. The hard part is getting value back to Minny. Finding someone to take him is easy. Finding someone to give up the farm for him will be very tough, especially with Minny being at a disadvantage.

So, who's got the cap room to take him now? Or would they look for similar salary coming back? If I was Minnesota's GM (is it still Dougie out there?) I'd want to stay away from another big contract. Cap is likely to go down next year -- it's just a matter of how much.

5Gaborik was offered in trade Empty Re: Gaborik was offered in trade Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

They'd better be getting some offense back. I don't know how they plan on replacing his offense with anything nearly as good at a fraction of the cost. Doesn't make sense. Everyone and their grandmother in the NHL is overpaid...

6Gaborik was offered in trade Empty Re: Gaborik was offered in trade Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:38 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

If they don't feel they have a realistic shot at the cup this year (I don't believe they do, but they may feel they do) and they are in a rush to dump him, then they may be willing to take picks, prospects, and a cap dump that they can bury. This would be contingent on Gaborik extending, and would likely be to a team that feels they are "one piece away". Then, if they end up doing better than expected, they still will have the space to bring in one, or even two, rentals with the picks and prospects they picked up. If not, they reloaded for the next few years, as the next draft is fairly strong again.

If I'm in the GM's shoes, though, I hold him. Take a chance that he stays healthy, maybe don't play him as much close to trade deadline, because his value will peak then. In the meantime, you know he is motivated to perform, as his next contract depends on what he does now.

7Gaborik was offered in trade Empty Re: Gaborik was offered in trade Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:42 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Gaborik is essentially like Havlat. Skilled player, but injury plagued. Would be fair to assume that Gaborik would fetch a similar return as Havlat?

8Gaborik was offered in trade Empty Re: Gaborik was offered in trade Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:44 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Yup. Havlat is making what, $6M? At the time that was what elite players were making. At $6M, many would consider that fair $$ for Gaborik (It's less than what he's making now I think), but he's looking for a raise.

Someone will pay the man. I just hope it's not the Sens.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum