GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY #81: Panthers @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Thursday, April 7th 2016

+3
PTFlea
tim1_2
wprager
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:You don't sit Ryan, you either trade him or pray he gets better with Turris or the C you bring in next year.

Lazar is developing, he should have developed in the AHL, he took a step back, but he's a player.  

The decision will be about Zibanejad and Hoffman, what to do with them, are they good enough?  Do we just add a big time winger to them?  Do we try to parlay them into Duchene?  Do we make a play for Statsny?  Etc.etc.etc.etc.
I'm really not convinced on stastny and duschene I just don't see what part of our defense gets sacrificed in acquiring him.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:You don't sit Ryan, you either trade him or pray he gets better with Turris or the C you bring in next year.

Lazar is developing, he should have developed in the AHL, he took a step back, but he's a player.  

The decision will be about Zibanejad and Hoffman, what to do with them, are they good enough?  Do we just add a big time winger to them?  Do we try to parlay them into Duchene?  Do we make a play for Statsny?  Etc.etc.etc.etc.
I'm really not convinced on stastny and duschene I just don't see what part of our defense gets sacrificed in acquiring him.

None. I see Zibanejad being sacrificed. Getting a playmaking LH Centre will help Ryan a ton.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

None. I see Zibanejad being sacrificed. Getting a playmaking LH Centre will help Ryan a ton.

That would be ideal. Zibanejad, Hoffman and perhaps the 1st rounder should be in play for quality upgrades.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

That would be ideal.  Zibanejad, Hoffman and perhaps the 1st rounder should be in play for quality upgrades.
guys can we stop playing the homer card for a second? the big reason colorado is going to maybe need to trade a player is because their D sucks and needs an upgrade. in what world do they make a trade with one of their most valuable assets without addressing an area they are desperate to assess. this isn't a case where they need to trade him or where no one else is interested. if duschene is put on the market they will get a D back in the trade. and a good one at that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

That would be ideal.  Zibanejad, Hoffman and perhaps the 1st rounder should be in play for quality upgrades.
guys can we stop playing the homer card for a second? the big reason colorado is going to maybe need to trade a player is because their D sucks and needs an upgrade. in what world do they make a trade with one of their most valuable assets without addressing an area they are desperate to assess. this isn't a case where they need to trade him or where no one else is interested. if duschene is put on the market they will get a D back in the trade. and a good one at that.

Depends on who's available with the 10th pick. If it's ZBad + 10th OV and a big time Dman is on the board, I could see it happening. The time from getting a top 10 pick to them playing in the NHL has been reduced substantially and Colorado would probably try to acquire a 2 year stop gap until he's ready.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm just saying don't be afraid to do make the hard decision -- it may be too late now to send Lazar to Bingo (waivers) but if not, if someone is outplaying him, don't be afraid ti hurt his feelings or somehow show up the GM by sending him down or sitting him. Can he try harder? Maybe not, but he can certainly learn to be more aggressive on the offensive side of the ice, take chances when it's warranted and not play just to not make a mistake.

As for Ryan, I don't know but some players are motivated by icetime reductions or being scratched. Who knows, maybe he needs to be motivated. Just don't be afraid of doing it.

A veteran coach is so important.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

You want to trade a 20/50 guy who is still developing and a 30-goal winger *and* a 1st rounder to get a 30-goal over-celebrator?

Last edited by wprager on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

You want to trade a 20/50 guy who is still developing and a 30-goal winger *and* a 1st rounder to get a 30-goal over-celebrator?

Of course not.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Depends on who's available with the 10th pick.  If it's ZBad + 10th OV and a big time Dman is on the board, I could see it happening.  The time from getting a top 10 pick to them playing in the NHL has been reduced substantially and Colorado would probably try to acquire a 2 year stop gap until he's ready.

Colorado can't afford Duchene. That's why he's on the block. EJ's massive contract comes into play next year and McKinnon's ELC runs out.

I wouldn't be too keen on trading Zib, Hoffman and a 1st in one off-season. Col may decide that trading for Hoffman and not re-signing Boedker is a better move. I also think Zib is still young and we should hold on to him while he's still an RFA. So does Hoff and a 1st get you Duchene? Probably not. We might need to sweeten the deal with a prospect. Maybe Claesson/Puempel goes the other way as well?

I am not sure that adding Duchene is enough though. I would still want to add a LW via trade (Hall) or Ericsson (UFA). But that would mean a lot of salary coming in, which works when you figure that you won't have Phillips and Wiercioch anymore, and you don't have to qualify Chiasson. Dzingel and Paul likely sticking around also. But it all depends on if Euge is willing to spend.

Ericsson-Duchene-Ryan
Mac-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Zib
Dzingel-Paul-Lazar
Neil

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Wideman-Boro
Englund

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No, I say they should all be in play for quality upgrades.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Depends on who's available with the 10th pick.  If it's ZBad + 10th OV and a big time Dman is on the board, I could see it happening.  The time from getting a top 10 pick to them playing in the NHL has been reduced substantially and Colorado would probably try to acquire a 2 year stop gap until he's ready.

Colorado can't afford Duchene. That's why he's on the block. EJ's massive contract comes into play next year and McKinnon's ELC runs out.

I wouldn't be too keen on trading Zib, Hoffman and a 1st in one off-season. Col may decide that trading for Hoffman and not re-signing Boedker is a better move. I also think Zib is still young and we should hold on to him while he's still an RFA. So does Hoff and a 1st get you Duchene? Probably not. We might need to sweeten the deal with a prospect. Maybe Claesson/Puempel goes the other way as well?

I am not sure that adding Duchene is enough though. I would still want to add a LW via trade (Hall) or Ericsson (UFA). But that would mean a lot of salary coming in, which works when you figure that you won't have Phillips and Wiercioch anymore, and you don't have to qualify Chiasson. Dzingel and Paul likely sticking around also. But it all depends on if Euge is willing to spend.

Ericsson-Duchene-Ryan
Mac-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Zib
Dzingel-Paul-Lazar
Neil

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Wideman-Boro
Englund

I don't see a scenario where we get to keep Zibanejad and get Duchene, but that's the kind of roster I want - badly. Duchene and Eriksson (+ Julien) = big changes in Ottawa = what everyone knows we need and wants = huge increase in ticket sales and a legit chance to not only make the playoffs, but maybe go a round or two in.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Listen, we have the tools and cap space to do it. All depends on whether or not Melnyk opens the wallet, and whoever our GM is is willing to part with some futures.

You're probably right though. We may need to give up a C going back.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm scared to trade Chabot and White. Chabot I'd do if I needed to, but White I wouldn't, I don't think. That probably really hurts any negotiation on a big trade.

Otherwise, just wait until the playoffs start and Melnyk realizes again that he's missing out on a huge wad of money by missing. Let him stew in that until it's time to make some major changes/trades/moves.

It's go time - I guess even if that means Chabot...

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:I'm scared to trade Chabot and White.  Chabot I'd do if I needed to, but White I wouldn't, I don't think.  That probably really hurts any negotiation on a big trade.

Otherwise, just wait until the playoffs start and Melnyk realizes again that he's missing out on a huge wad of money by missing.  Let him stew in that until it's time to make some major changes/trades/moves.

It's go time - I guess even if that means Chabot...
I almost prefer Chabot over white since he could possibly turn into a top 2 or at least top 4 Dman. The hype around white is getting out of hand with his projected ceiling now being of a number 1 C. I'd be really careful with that. Of course a number 1C is just as hard to acquire as a top Dman. The difference being that Dmen are in such greater demand when you get to top 4 than 2C or 3C. And we are much deeper in terms of forwards than blue chip on the blue line.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Of course not.

My reply went in the wrong place; I highlighted it above. I was replying to SD who said "Zibanejad, Hoffman and perhaps the 1st rounder", corrected now in my original post.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Karlsson with assist #65 and points #81. Then Buddy with his first NHL goal.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Mika with his 20th Ceci with his 10th. Can we get an empty net for hoff's 30th?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sometimes Zib and Hoffman can look so tantalizing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum