GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Stars @ Sens - Thursday, Jan 29, 7:30pm, TSN5, RDS2

+7
Ev
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
dennycrane
wprager
NEELY
tim1_2
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, that's that for the season me thinks.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispensed wrote:Yeah, that's that for the season me thinks.
You should have posted that 2 weeks ago.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Farter
What a an ending!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Trade everybody.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Philips and Lehner on the 4th goal was Facepalm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think if we gave Lehner the starter job, he'd round into form pretty quick. I think he's the type of guy that just needs to play a bunch to find his groove. The problem is we have Anderson who is just better, so Lehner can't get the playing time. That 4th goal Lehner let in was such a heart-breaker, and one he should've had the angle on.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yah Lehner hasn't been strong but in that second he made some huge saves, the biggest being on Spezza. His inconsistencies you can tie to A) being off for 2 weeks (again) and B) not getting the reps needed to find that consistency. You see the potential in the kid each night but he's having a rough go so hopefully he snaps out of it.

Phillips on that last goal was just sad to watch... Hoffman needs to make the smart move there (rookie mistake not getting it in deep) but Phlilips just looks lost out there, can't keep up with the play, can't move the puck effectively, and because of this makes mistake after mistake. It sucks watching this because he used to be a very, very good D man that could log a ton of minutes. His time as a Sen is coming to an end I would suspect but again it's just sad right now.

Ryan, what a game again. He's the unquestioned leader up front, he makes players around him better which is the sign of a great player. What a trade by Murray. Ryan is a guy the Sens are going to be leaning on for years to come and it looks like he's 100% ready for that challenge, guy's a legit star.

You hope Murray starts making some moves soon, the vets don't really do themselves any favours but they also are not important enough at this point in the Sens rebuild or their careers to be getting ice time over guys like Pageau, Lazar, Cowen, and Ceci on a regular basis. Legwand and Phillips are two guys they need to find a home for for 2 or 3 reasons, the biggest being the roster spots and cap/money, the second being is they can contribute to a contender in a much smaller role then they are used to.

The playoffs are a pipe dream at this point, they lost more ground last night and I think most would agree it's impossible or close to impossible to bounce back from this. Hopefully Murray sees the writing on the wall too because it's pretty clear that this team needs to just play out the string and find out what works and what doesn't.

I still like the direction they are going, team still shows signs of great hockey and you see the potential from a lot of guys every single night. The key now is growing as a group and adding the right players in that group (I beg and pray Konecny is a Sen). I would assume Prince, Wideman, and Claeson all see some time this year after the deadline but we'll see.

Guys I think are moved out... Phillips, Legwand, and sadly Condra. Neil stays I think and that's not a bad thing to have him in that room, the guy still knows how to do his job and whether you get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him means little IMO.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:I think if we gave Lehner the starter job, he'd round into form pretty quick.  I think he's the type of guy that just needs to play a bunch to find his groove.  The problem is we have Anderson who is just better, so Lehner can't get the playing time.  That 4th goal Lehner let in was such a heart-breaker, and one he should've had the angle on.

He is off his angel a lot which is a sign of low confidence and lack of playing time.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Phillips isn't going anywhere this season, sorry to break that to you. Murray's not really afraid to make a bolder move, so there's no telling what we could see leading up to the deadline. I kind of doubt we see anything major, but you never know.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I think once Phillips hits that all time mark for games played as a Sen you might see Murray go to him... but you could very well be right because there isn't a lot to argue your point.

As for what you said about Lehner needing to play... well yah. That has been my whole point the entire time, people are quick to rip on him but you can't ask a guy to be great or even good every 2 weeks when he doesn't see a second of playing time between all that. Either give him the job and let him run with it for a couple years and see what you have or trade him. Again it's a disservice to both Lehner and the organization if you ruin his development or don't at least get something of value in a trade in one for or another.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think we'll see either Lehner or Anderson moved before training camp, but I don't really expect it to happen before the deadline.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Moving a goalie isn't a deadline move, I agree. Still don't buy that Anderson was signed to trade later on though, I think they truly want to go with him. Wait and see obviously but moving Lehner IMO is a mistake but letting him rot away in a backup role is a bigger one.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:what...the...f*** Phillips.  Hoffman needs to get it in deep there for sure after a nice defensive play but what... the... fuc* Phillips?  

I was screaming at the TV. Does he not realize he doesn't have the speed to get back if he overcommis like that? And why was he put there with Karlsson?

But Lehner has to make that save. He's 6'5" and there's no way a pick would be going over his should when there's no shooting angle. All he had to do there was stand.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I want to know why the hell Phillips is joining the rush like that or attempting to? I can't figure out if he was joining the rush, if he misread the play, or if he was just gliding to hold the blueline... Again Hoffman needs to get it in deep there, there wasn't a play to make but Phillips needs to recognize he's the last man back and hold up until the puck is in deep. For a vet and making that mistake I just don't get what's going on in his head.

As for Lehner, yah he's off his angel and only way to get comfortable back in the net is a consistent run of starts and play, no other way to fix it.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

While the line shake ups seemed to rejuvenate MacArthur, it seemed to suck the life out of Turris' new linemates. After going down 3 - 0 the Hockey Gods decided that they deserved to lose by 3, I guess. And they did.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:I want to know why the hell Phillips is joining the rush like that or attempting to?  I can't figure out if he was joining the rush, if he misread the play, or if he was just gliding to hold the blueline... Again Hoffman needs to get it in deep there, there wasn't a play to make but Phillips needs to recognize he's the last man back and hold up until the puck is in deep.  For a vet and making that mistake I just don't get what's going on in his head.

As for Lehner, yah he's off his angel and only way to get comfortable back in the net is a consistent run of starts and play, no other way to fix it.

Hoffman lost an edge, but Phillips was further across the blueline than Hoffman. If you look at the other side, the riverboat gambler that Karlsson is is holding the line, but Old Rig just barrels through it with no-one behind.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Again I have no idea what Phillips saw there, was doing, or thinking. He's lost it IMO and is doing himself and the team no good by hanging on the way he is right now. After he finishes that games played record they all need to sit down.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Imagine if we didn't sign Ryan lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum