GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+17
Cap'n Clutch
Hobiesens
SensHulk
Bramlet07
Flo The Action
Ev
tim1_2
Hoags
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
sandysensfan
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
spader
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 67]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Kadri asking for 5 x 6 is the definition of a Cussing joke.    How about no?  Prove you can do it for more than a half season first.  Bridge contract, take it or sit out punk.  
A delicious joke. I hope he holds out and causes a season long distraction. Eat it, Laffs.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

It will be like the Subban situation, he will sit out, realize he isn't getting paid or playing, and sign a 1 year or 2 year deal and see how things go after that. Clock work.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:It will be like the Subban situation, he will sit out, realize he isn't getting paid or playing, and sign a 1 year or 2 year deal and see how things go after that.  Clock work.
Like P.K. Cowen?

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:Anyone listen to the Luongo interview on TSN yet (they are airing it in parts, not all together).  Apparently when the trade fell through he cried in front of Gillis.  Then he went to the PA contemplating walking away from the $40M he has left on that contract.  

So why doesn't he just renegotiate the contract?  Lots of cases where contracts were negotiated upward, to the players' benefit; why not renegotiate it lower, again, to the player's benefit?
This Luongo story is getting old fast.  He cried?  Shut up and play goal.  Damn...
Teams and players are not allowed to re-negotiate contracts any more> CBA won't allow it..

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Think Cowen is a little different because he and the Sens are in the same ball park and playing on the same team. Sens offered the guy 28 million and Cowen technically wants less than that all things being equal. That's a guy that wants the bridge deal.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think the Adam Henrique deal is the perfect baseline for Cowen. Give him 6 x $3.5M per and it's a win-win for everyone.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sounds about right. Rather get a 7th year in, but whatever.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Sounds about right.  Rather get a 7th year in, but whatever.
The cap is supposedly going to $80M by 2015. By his 7th year the league minimum is going to be $1.5M and the max (20% of cap) will be $25-30M. Chara was making $7.5M in 06-06 when the cap was around $50M. The difference between $3.5M x 6 and $3.5M x 7 could, literally, be $20M or more.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Sounds about right.  Rather get a 7th year in, but whatever.
The cap is supposedly going to $80M by 2015.  By his 7th year the league minimum is going to be $1.5M and the max (20% of cap) will be $25-30M.  Chara was making $7.5M in 06-06 when the cap was around $50M.  The difference between $3.5M x 6 and $3.5M x 7 could, literally, be $20M or more.
No.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
The cap is supposedly going to $80M by 2015.  By his 7th year the league minimum is going to be $1.5M and the max (20% of cap) will be $25-30M.  Chara was making $7.5M in 06-06 when the cap was around $50M.  The difference between $3.5M x 6 and $3.5M x 7 could, literally, be $20M or more.
No.
It could be. You can say "Not it won't" but you can't just say "No" because that implies "No, it couldn't".

It would, of course, take at least a linear cap growth ($80M in 2 years, $100M in 4 and $120M in six) and Cowen becoming the next Chara. 20% of $120M (max a player can get) is $24M, which is $20.5M more than $3.5M. I'm not suggesting Melnyk would pay that, but someone might.

Anyhow, it very likely won't be a difference of $20M, but it very likely will be a significant difference. Much more significant than the difference between $21M and $24.5M.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Well, that's pretty extreme - plus you're using variables to get to 80 million, but yes, that's the basic point of trying to eek out a 7th or 8th year.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeKing wrote:
wprager wrote:
LeKing wrote:It's Franson not Frattin
Yes, it is. Sarcasm 
And you wonder why you get minused Sarcasm
Laugh1 Laughing3 

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
LeKing wrote:
wprager wrote:
LeKing wrote:It's Franson not Frattin
Yes, it is. Sarcasm 
And you wonder why you get minused Sarcasm
Laugh1 Laughing3 
My rep keeps going up. My decrementers are failing.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
No.
It could be.  You can say "Not it won't" but you can't just say "No" because that implies "No, it couldn't".

It would, of course, take at least a linear cap growth ($80M in 2 years, $100M in 4 and $120M in six) and Cowen becoming the next Chara.  20% of $120M (max a player can get) is $24M, which is $20.5M more than $3.5M.  I'm not suggesting Melnyk would pay that, but someone might.

Anyhow, it very likely won't be a difference of $20M, but it very likely will be a significant difference.  Much more significant than the difference between $21M and $24.5M.
How many NHL teams will fold or be relocated/sold if those Owners can't meet the league minimum of over 60M if the Cap goes up to 80M.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

sandysensfan wrote:
How many NHL teams will fold or be relocated/sold if those Owners can't meet the league minimum of over 60M if the Cap goes up to 80M.  
Revenue sharing will take care of the teams who literally cannot afford to spend to the floor. It's equal to 6% of HRR, half of it comes from the top 10 teams in the NHL and the other half comes from playoff revenue(35% of playoff ticket sales goes to revenue sharing).

NHL would never allow the bad press of a franchise folding, we may see a relocation or two but if Phoenix is staying for a while, the others are staying too.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Jesus people, why do you keep talking about Melnyk and him losing money on the Sens. The OTTAWA SENATORS and CTC do no lose money, they turn a profit almost every year. Now, how Melnyk and his creative accounts want to recognize revenue's and expenses is totally up to them.

How much money does Melnyk make off the capital tickets fees for Sens games? You can play with the numbers, record revenues in other places, expenses under the Sens and boom, you have a big loss each year. He could easily be making the 10 mil he claimed he lost last year if he reports it a certain way.

People still fail to acknowledge that Melnyk's other business' are hurting, he can't develop his land, and he's using the Sens as a whole for leverage against the city. Alfie leaving town was a shot across the bow, Melnyk flexing his muscle to put people in a panic and clearly it worked. The guy may refuse to spend money out of spite, we'll see but the Sens are in no trouble financially... again, THE OTTAWA SENATORS MAKE MONEY.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So, it's like you're trying to say that our owner is creating problems for our hockey club. You almost make it sound like he had something to do with Alfie leaving. Which might actually make people angry...but that can't be possible, can it?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Jesus people, why do you keep talking about Melnyk and him losing money on the Sens.  The OTTAWA SENATORS and CTC do no lose money, they turn a profit almost every year.  Now, how Melnyk and his creative accounts want to recognize revenue's and expenses is totally up to them.  
He probably is but you have no way of knowing that for sure and how much. The franchise value has gone up, and if estimates are correct that it's worth $300M that's an indicator but again only an estimate.

More like he should be making money, because a hockey team losing money in Canada is unfathomable.

Crippling the team out of spite makes no sense either.  He can scare the fans and use them as leverage but intentionally running the team like Charles Wang won't help him or the franchse(value) either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum