GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+17
Cap'n Clutch
Hobiesens
SensHulk
Bramlet07
Flo The Action
Ev
tim1_2
Hoags
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
sandysensfan
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
spader
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 67]

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:He's still good, but man...there's no slower player in the NHL I don't think.
Not until Gill signs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Grabovski to the Caps; $3M (plus whatever he's making on the buy out -- he made $5.5M last year).

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:They are playing their 3rd and 4th string players too, lets not pretend Carleton can walk into the NCAA in conference play or the tourny and be anything more than average NCAA Div 1 team and that's even pushing it.
Carleton to the Sweet East or even the Big Seven?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! A dark horse for the March Mayhem?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! 
Let's see how they fare against Syracuse.  

NEELY, where do you get your "facts" about them playing their third stringers?  The lineup against the Ravens was Jackson, Brust, Gasser, Dekker, Kaminsky.  Three of those are in the top-5 on the Badgers' roster for PPG and have played all 35 games (Brust, Dekker, Jackson) and Kaminsky is up there as well (32 games).  The last one -- Gasser -- was supposed to be a starter but tore his ACL; this trip through Canada is his return to the lineup.

Who are the third/fourth stringers?

Now, I'll admit that I know next to nothing about basketball apart from a couple March Madness pools where I quickly learned how little I knew.  So I rely on info I can find online -- took me about 5 minutes to look up the starting lineup (from a replay of a live blog from the game) and from there to check out the Badgers' stats to see who their top players really are.  How long did you spend on deciding to dismiss this game as being just a win against a bunch of third stringers?
They are played sparingly to say the least for the most part.  These are tuneup games for NCAA teams and ya, Carleton is good enough to hang with them in ex games but put them into division play and Div 1 it would be a little different with those players you mentioned playing 35-40 mins a night.
Everything I read stated the opposite. Played their starters the majority of the game. CU put the most points up against Wisconsin in the last years - including tournament play, exhibition games, etc. I agree, wait to see what happens against Syracuse but Wisconsin has always been a great team - even their bench players can bring it.

This is not something to be swept under the rug. Carleton totally deserves the recognition right now.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Grabovski to the Caps; $3M (plus whatever he's making on the buy out -- he made $5.5M last year).
More than I thought he'd get and a solid pick up for Washington. He'll put up 40 and he'll be one of the best off-season acquisitions IMO

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:Grabovski to the Caps; $3M (plus whatever he's making on the buy out -- he made $5.5M last year).
More than I thought he'd get and a solid pick up for Washington. He'll put up 40 and he'll be one of the best off-season acquisitions IMO
In six NHL seasons he's scored a total of 94 goals. The chances of improving on his best season by 11 is pretty silly (he had 29 in 10/11). My guess is that he plays well and scores 20+ goals and 50ish points, since he's demonstrated that he's basically a 25/25/50 player.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
In six NHL seasons he's scored a total of 94 goals. The chances of improving on his best season by 11 is pretty silly (he had 29 in 10/11). My guess is that he plays well and scores 20+ goals and 50ish points, since he's demonstrated that he's basically a 25/25/50 player.
Don't think he meant 40 goals, just 40 points.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
Don't think he meant 40 goals, just 40 points.
If he's one of the best off-season acquisitions with 40 points, then this off-season was a bust.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
In six NHL seasons he's scored a total of 94 goals. The chances of improving on his best season by 11 is
If he's one of the best off-season acquisitions with 40 points, then this off-season was a bust.
If $3M was more than he thought he'd get then 40 goals is in the wrong decade.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Anyone listen to the Luongo interview on TSN yet (they are airing it in parts, not all together). Apparently when the trade fell through he cried in front of Gillis. Then he went to the PA contemplating walking away from the $40M he has left on that contract.

So why doesn't he just renegotiate the contract? Lots of cases where contracts were negotiated upward, to the players' benefit; why not renegotiate it lower, again, to the player's benefit?

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
In six NHL seasons he's scored a total of 94 goals. The chances of improving on his best season by 11 is
If $3M was more than he thought he'd get then 40 goals is in the wrong decade.
Fair enough. I basically just figured that it didn't make sense for him to be one if the best off-season acquisitions if he scores 40 points. This is particularly true when there are people like Eriksson, Seguin, Schnieder, and Bobby MF Ryan representing other off-season acquisitions.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

This will bring a smile to the faces of Sens fans after and up and down summer of who left.. and BR coming in...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/Kadri-Fires-Back/6/53532

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Perhaps he was talking UFA only, so all of the above don't count.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

sandysensfan wrote:This will bring a smile to the faces of Sens fans after and up and down summer of who left.. and BR coming in...

I was actually about to discuss this -- didn't see the HockeyBuzz blog but I saw the re-tweet from someone I follow.  According to Alter they asked for $6Mx6 but are willing to settle for $5Mx6 to help the club out of a tight spot.  Awww, how nice of them.  I realize it's not his fault that Nonis can't add, but the Leafs have about $5M for Kadri and Franson, and Kadri just showed that after a short season he had little left in the tank for the playoffs (if he contributed maybe they beat the Bruins, hmm?)  So to give Kadri $5M (which he doesn't deserve on a long term) they have to demote Gardiner, move/waive one of Orr/Frazer and possibly make another move.  And the reason that the Leafs feel they need Frazer *and* Orr is because of player *like* Kadri.

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league ZackSmithLunge

Last edited by wprager on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:This will bring a smile to the faces of Sens fans after and up and down summer of who left.. and BR coming in...

I was actually about to discuss this -- didn't see the HockeyBuzz blog but I saw the re-tweet from someone I follow.  According to Alter they asked for $6Mx6 but are willing to settle for $5Mx6 to help the club out of a tight spot.  Awww, how nice of them.  I realize it's not his fault that Nonis can't add, but the Leafs have about $5M for Kadri and Frattin, and Kadri just showed that after a short season he had little left in the tank for the playoffs (if he contributed maybe they beat the Bruins, hmm?)  So to give Kadri $5M (which he doesn't deserve on a long term) they have to demote Gardiner, move/waive one of Orr/Frazer and possibly make another move.  And the reason that the Leafs feel they need Frazer *and* Orr is because of player *like* Kadri.

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league ZackSmithLunge
TOR has to pay Frattin to play for LAK? What a brutal arrangement.

Sarcasm 

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

It's Franson not Frattin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 67]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum