GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day - Ottawa @ Carolina, 7:00PM, Tuesday, October 25, 2011

+17
asq2
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
Flo The Action
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
SDH89
Hoags
NEELY
PTFlea
SensHulk
cash
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Riprock
tim1_2
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 14]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:You know, Rundblad oozes offensive confidence and how many points does he have? Granted, he's played 2 fewer games than Zibanejad, but point remains -- offense is not guaranteed. The effort is there and, frankly, I thought he showed a bit more confidence last few games. I almost wish he'd been given a night off to watch from up above *before* his 9th game. It's too late now to give him a night off unless they decided to keep him here.

Last night he was carrying the puck more but he's still hesitant in the offensive zone and, as someone (probably asq2) said, seems to fall back to the defensive zone at the first sign of trouble -- not the worst thing in the world (especially given how the D and G had been playing until recently).

I also agree that the 9-game thing is causing some of his issues -- being afraid to make a mistake. He's on probation, and he knows it. I'd love to see what he'd be like when game 10 rolled around and he knew he was here to stay.

Who are you talking about? Rundblad doesn't have a 9 game try-out.

I'm talking about Z-Bad, of course. Just bringing Rundblad into the discussion to compare. No-one is saying Rundblad is not scoring, send him back. Offense will come.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Some good points about Zibanejad in this thread.

I agree, he doesn't handle the puck with the confidence of an NHLer and he doesn't make passes properly. He drives the net with authority, he's actually a very solid player in his own zone as well, but the offense will come when he matures to the NHL game - as we've already seen glimpses.

My personal opinion is that we need to be patient with him in North America. Let him play NHL hockey for a while and by January if we don't see a marked improvement, then we send him into the more than capable hands of KK.

North American hockey, NA rink size, speed, you can't teach that in Sweden. In fact, you can't teach what KK and MacLean would teach him 1 on 1, both during practice and during the game as we saw last night. Keep him, it's what Mac wants, and I assume KK would second that in a heartbeat. Screw the year of ELC.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
I'm talking about Z-Bad, of course. Just bringing Rundblad into the discussion to compare. No-one is saying Rundblad is not scoring, send him back. Offense will come.

For Rundblad it's losing one on one battles. The offensive creativity that he's shown - even if he hasn't scored - has been stellar. Passing has been stellar, rushing the puck has been great, the thing he needs to learn on the PP is to let it rip once in a while, but that'll come. If Rundblad gets sent down, it'll be to learn positioning on NA ice a little better and simply bulk up, everything else is real good IMO.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
He hasn't even proven which league he's more suited for at this point because he'd basically done nothing of consequence in either instance. The best place for him and the organization (if anyone cares about that) is the AHL. If that's an option at all, fine, if not send him back because the NHL is not a developmental league.

Yeah he hasn't really done a whole lot in the SEL. Usual way of thinking for such a prospect is let them dominate their pre-NHL league and then have them adapt to the NHL. Look at Rundblad he has nothing to prove in the SEL.

Zibby playing the NHL right now seems NHL seems stupid, he has little confidence out there like he's Dung his pants every shift. What's going to happen to his confidence if he gets rocked by a hit or suffers a serious injury ?

Only reason this is an issue is because Regin is injured again(probably long-term), Da Costa isn't ready, and we traded away all our depth at centre last season.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I think it's the offensive ability to produce right now. He didn't even light it up too much for Djurgarden in J20. He just needs some more time to develop his offence.

Pretty much. It's not a "nothing left to learn in Sweden" scenario.

Never has been. It's a "whats best for his development" scenario. Do they feel he will learn more playing the NA game (which he is much more suited for) or do they believe going back is the best option as they feel his offense can improve over there playing against lesser players.

He hasn't even proven which league he's more suited for at this point because he'd basically done nothing of consequence in either instance. The best place for him and the organization (if anyone cares about that) is the AHL. If that's an option at all, fine, if not send him back because the NHL is not a developmental league.

So players have to come in and be able to dominate right off the bat? Who ever said the NHL isn't a development league is wrong, that's a big part of it.

The other thing people are not taking into account are his attitude, practice habits, and general overall work ethic. Also it's important how the other players on the team view him.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yeah he hasn't really done a whole lot in the SEL. Usual way of thinking for such a prospect is let them dominate their pre-NHL league and then have them adapt to the NHL. Look at Rundblad he has nothing to prove in the SEL.

Zibby playing the NHL right now seems NHL seems stupid, he has little confidence out there like he's Dung his pants every shift. What's going to happen to his confidence if he gets rocked by a hit or suffers a serious injury ?
Only reason this is an issue is because Regin is injured again(probably long-term), Da Costa isn't ready, and we traded away all our depth at centre last season.

Who cares if he gets rocked? Again, it's about maturity and attitude. You bring up Regin being injured again, he's basically a china doll as opposed to Zibanejad who is built like a man already.

That's a cop out, "wrap him in bubble wrap" type response.

There are legit concerns for sure, him being hit too hard is not one of them.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

No worries there to be honest. There's not much of a gap between 2nd line C and 4th line C for us right now, if he's sent back, then someone will win the job. It could even be Foligno, but that can't be a part of the decision process - Z-Bad isn't a 2nd line C either. His confidence will come one game at a time, almost literally, until we get to late Dec. or around there and he puts it all together.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Who cares if he gets rocked? Again, it's about maturity and attitude. You bring up Regin being injured again, he's basically a china doll as opposed to Zibanejad who is built like a man already.

Because his confidence doesn't look all that good out there. Getting nailed or sitting on the IR won't help.

What's the rush ?? we don't need a Josh Bailey, Gilbert Brule, James Sheppard etc.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
No worries there to be honest. There's not much of a gap between 2nd line C and 4th line C for us right now, if he's sent back, then someone will win the job.

Ice time, PP time and linemates. How much will he learn playing a few mins a night on the 4th line ? when he could be getting top ice time in Sweden ?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Is it okay that I point out that those three came from crappy organizations?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
No worries there to be honest. There's not much of a gap between 2nd line C and 4th line C for us right now, if he's sent back, then someone will win the job.

Ice time, PP time and linemates. How much will he learn playing a few mins a night on the 4th line ? when he could be getting top ice time in Sweden ?

I think he would continue to get in the 12-15 minute range of icetime and start maturing offensively soon enough. There's a 4th line on this team, but the 3rd and the 2nd can be easily mixed.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Because his confidence doesn't look all that good out there. Getting nailed or sitting on the IR won't help.

What's the rush ?? we don't need a Josh Bailey, Gilbert Brule, James Sheppard etc.

I'm not saying there is a rush but lets not pretend this is a "normal" prospect either. Gilbery Brule is about the best comparable in terms of size, strength, and the type of game he plays vs Zibanejad. That said, any Columbus prospect in the last 10 years, 9 out of 10 never reach their potential or even really become everyday NHLers.

The other 2 guys you mentioned, I don't think they are even allowed on the ice after the second period. Zibanejad is out there in the last min of play.

Like I said, there are about 1000 things that go into the decision of keeping him in Ottawa. Not just how he looks in the offensive zone.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

NEELY wrote:

So players have to come in and be able to dominate right off the bat? Who ever said the NHL isn't a development league is wrong, that's a big part of it.

The other thing people are not taking into account are his attitude, practice habits, and general overall work ethic. Also it's important how the other players on the team view him.

Actually, he said it's not a "developmental league"...apparently there are concerns about his mental stability? He does seem to have a case of the "crazy eyes" but that's about the only indication I've seen...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Vandelay wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Actually, he said it's not a "developmental league"...apparently there are concerns about his mental stability? He does seem to have a case of the "crazy eyes" but that's about the only indication I've seen...

Then Ottawa should fold Binghamton and save a few bucks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum