GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011

+17
spader
DefenceWinsChampionships
LeCaptain
TheAvatar
strachattack
Hobiesens
Ev
rooneypoo
NEELY
Hoags
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
shabbs
wprager
Da lil Guy
Riprock
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 11]

106Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:40 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Thoughts on that game:

-- Cowen looked a little tired, I thought, and wasn't quite his dominating self. The back end in general, tho', looked a little jumbly.

-- Can't see ZBad not making this team now, at least for those first 9 games. And that independent of the Regin injury situation, which I hope isn't too bad. The two guys (Regin & Winchester) who needed to come in and play strong to stay on this team end up getting hurt, and now their future on the Sens, and in the NHL, is in serious jeopardy.

-- Best game (well, periods 1 & 3) from Filatov. He's got Spezza-esque hands, that's for sure. Love to see him bury one to build that confidence and comfort level up.

-- Better game from Butler, getting some chances, but still not as noticeable out there right now as in March and April.

-- Very good games from Condra and Greening. Both guys are very good are the fore-check, forcing turnovers and digging pucks out of corners.

Query: where's Konopka? Don't think I've seen that guy since the 1st Leafs game...

Sore back for Konopka.

I was thinking the same about Cowen. I think he must have played 20+ last night and he started to look tired. Rundblad took a step back tonight, no question. Z-Bad was very impressive, Spezza made some bad plays, but some good ones too. I like to see him simplify in the reg. season, too many turnovers tonight.

Greening, Condra, Smith, Daugavins - all really effective, but they too seemed to lose their stamina in the latter part of the game.

Lehner was really strong, but you can't leave him out to dry like that. Our D was amazingly poor.

Pre-season. I imagine some of these guys aren't used to the amount of ice-time they're getting.

Z-jad looked great again. Was skeptical when we passed up on Couturier but this guy can really play.

107Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:42 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

@SpezD, I didn't even think of the Rags for Wolski. More off-season money for Sather to spend if they take Kuba. Hell, I would have traded Kuba for Drury. The guy is just plain awful.

108Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:@SpezD, I didn't even think of the Rags for Wolski. More off-season money for Sather to spend if they take Kuba. Hell, I would have traded Kuba for Drury. The guy is just plain awful.

I dunno...I still want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he doesn't look good, that's for sure.

I think Wolski straight up by January or December makes sense. Less so for the BJs, but I think the Rangers can do some real damage in the post-season and Torts might see Kuba as a great 5/6 man.

109Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Respect where it's due, Grabovski has become an excellent hockey player.

110Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:17 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Missed the game. How was Zibanejad outside of his goal? Did he keep the puck on his stick for any extended period of time?

111Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:Missed the game. How was Zibanejad outside of his goal? Did he keep the puck on his stick for any extended period of time?

Not really, but he made a brilliant play to drop as pass to Spezza 10 feet in front of the goal and it bounced at the last second. I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't Spezza making the pass. He certainly doesn't keep the puck on his stick long as far as I've noticed. He made one dipsy-doodle and make a nice play to get around one of the Leaf D-men, played a solid forecheck and didn't look out of place at all at any point in the night IMO.

112Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:32 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

-- Cowen looked a little tired, I thought, and wasn't quite his dominating self. The back end in general, tho', looked a little jumbly.

-- Can't see ZBad not making this team now, at least for those first 9 games. And that independent of the Regin injury situation, which I hope isn't too bad. The two guys (Regin & Winchester) who needed to come in and play strong to stay on this team end up getting hurt, and now their future on the Sens, and in the NHL, is in serious jeopardy.

-- Best game (well, periods 1 & 3) from Filatov. He's got Spezza-esque hands, that's for sure. Love to see him bury one to build that confidence and comfort level up.

-- Better game from Butler, getting some chances, but still not as noticeable out there right now as in March and April.

-- Very good games from Condra and Greening. Both guys are very good are the fore-check, forcing turnovers and digging pucks out of corners.

Query: where's Konopka? Don't think I've seen that guy since the 1st Leafs game...

Sore back for Konopka.

I was thinking the same about Cowen. I think he must have played 20+ last night and he started to look tired. Rundblad took a step back tonight, no question. Z-Bad was very impressive, Spezza made some bad plays, but some good ones too. I like to see him simplify in the reg. season, too many turnovers tonight.

Greening, Condra, Smith, Daugavins - all really effective, but they too seemed to lose their stamina in the latter part of the game.

Lehner was really strong, but you can't leave him out to dry like that. Our D was amazingly poor.

He looked even more uncomfortable and unsure of himself on the left than the right side. Don't think that experiment is going to work out.

Honestly, if Kuba is brutal, I could see Boro getting a shot over Rundblad for that final left-side D spot. Guy has looked pretty steady all camp, tho' tonight wasn't his best night either. Looked like he, Cowen, and Karlsson were all a little dogged.

113Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:40 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Just watched post game comments on the Sens website.

Question to Zibanejad: Peter Regin getting hurt, do you see it as an opportunity?

What kind of stupid question is that Eyebrow

114Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Sore back for Konopka.

He looked even more uncomfortable and unsure of himself on the left than the right side. Don't think that experiment is going to work out.

Honestly, if Kuba is brutal, I could see Boro getting a shot over Rundblad for that final left-side D spot. Guy has looked pretty steady all camp, tho' tonight wasn't his best night either. Looked like he, Cowen, and Karlsson were all a little dogged.

To be honest with you, I think they're pretty exhausted right now. Training camp is always pretty hard, and they played a lot of games.

115Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:49 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

La Femme wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Sore back for Konopka.

To be honest with you, I think they're pretty exhausted right now. Training camp is always pretty hard, and they played a lot of games.

I hear that, but there were more than a few times where Rundblad got turned around largely because, it would seem, he was in unfamiliar territory defending on that left side. A few times, guys when from his outside (where his left hand is) and then cut in on him, and he looked like he was having a hard time doing anything against that.

The advantage of being a lefty of the left side is, of course, that you hold your stick in your right hand, which helps you defend against a guy trying to cut in on the inside. If you're a righty on the left side, your stick is on the outside, in your left hand, so the move to the inside from the forward is a little easier to manage.

Getting used to NA ice is hard enough for someone in Rundblad's position, and it doesn't look to me like asking him to play his offside is helping.

116Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:19 am

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie

Spezza was -3 tonight. Outside of a few shifts, though, I don't think he's putting the full effort in.

Kind of funny when MacLean says he's counting on Spezza to work hard and lead by example.

It's pre-season but it's late enough now that I'd like to see him giving it all.

117Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't think Rundbld took a step back. He was just average.

118Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:37 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:When have they given up a lead this pre-season....? They are scoring goals right now, working out kinks, without a forward, and the defense is very young. Once all the pieces are in place I think people will be plesently surprised.

They were up 3-0 in Montreal before losing 4-3.
wait I was at that game and we won 3-2...

119Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:18 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:Would you even trade Kadri for Silvferberg right now...? Probably not.

I don't think so.

Exactly. I'm not saying Kadri can't turn things around and be a good NHLer, I'm saying he is the biggest unknown of that draft and even then, he seems like his development has stalled.

That's not true. Glennie, Scott. Kassian, Zack. De Haan, Calvin. Holland, Peter. Caron, Jordan.

As you can see most players from that draft still have done nothing. Kadri was good in the AHL last year

Not really unknowns at this point. Glennie was an awful pick and will be a fringe NHLer, Kassian will be a power forward and will top out at a 2nd line player at best. I'm not saying Kadri is an unknown for negative reasons, just people have no idea if he will be a legit 2nd line player (which I personally doubt) or a total bust as an NHL player.

Kadri is 100% the biggest unknown of that draft. No clue what he is or will turn into.

120Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:21 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:Respect where it's due, Grabovski has become an excellent hockey player.
He was their best player last year. That's for sure. Give the guy credit, he never gives up.

121Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:22 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I also appologize for forgetting about the lead lost in the Montreal game. I was on the 401 at a dead stop at 9 at night.

122Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:25 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I thought Zibanejad was the best player for The Sens all night. The kid is 100% legit. Daugvanins also got my attention, that was an all-star play he made on that 2nd goal.

It will be interesting to see what this team looks like with the full lineup. Not sure what to expect but if Anderson plays well and the guys like Filatov, Zibanejad, and Da Costa bring what they are doing into the regular season, this is a very competitive team and will be able to win on any night.

123Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 - Page 8 Empty Re: Toronto vs. Ottawa - 09/27/2011 Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:27 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:The Sens kept the pace for almost 2 periods too, damn, that was a shame. And all the goals I can remember were good on Lehner - no chance. Maybe the final goal, but it seemed like a laser.
I thought the couple that went glove side should have been had. That ping pong had no chance. A few pucks got in behind Lehner but he did a good job covering up and keeping them out. He probably wasn't expecting to play so take that for what it's worth.

SpezDispenser wrote:Filatov is a rock star. He has to continue playing like that, but that's exciting stuff.
Yeah, hopefully he'll continue to improve and start putting some pucks in the net.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum