GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Year of the Champs - Binghamton Senators

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

The Binghamton Senators had one heck of a season in 2010-2011 – nobody thought they would do much, they hadn’t won anything in their 34 year existence – this year would prove to be much different and a Cinderella story like no other.

A little history: The Binghamton Senators were founded in 2002 previously known as the Binghamton Dusters from (77-80 the year they were founded), also at one point known as the Binghamton Whalers (80-90) and the Binghamton Rangers (90-97). Binghamton was without a team between 97-02 – in which time the market was served by the B.C. Icemen of the United Hockey League.

2010-2011 Season – one to be remembered forever

2010-2011 started like every other season in the past 7 or so years for the Binghamton Senators, of course there were some serious differences in players who led the charge and the coach – Kurt Kleinendorst, who would become one of the stars of the post-season along with rookie goalie Robin Lehner.

The beginning of the season started with some new faces; Corey Locke C, Patrick Wiercioch D, Robin Lehner in goal (in a backup role to Barry Brust), Bobby Butler RW, Colin Greening LW, Barry Brust in goal (starter), Roman Wick RW, Eric Gryba D (in his first full season – played only 6 games in 09/10), David Hale D and Andre Benoit D. The departure of Denis Hamel was thought to have been really serious for Binghamton, thankfully Bobby Butler and Corey Locke were able to replace his offense, and then some. (please forgive me if I have forgotten anyone) Jared Cowen D came in for the 2nd round of the playoffs and was a force and a big help in bringing them to the promised land.

In seeing the list of new faces there, it surely made a big difference and injected the lineup with some big prospects and youth and energy. We were certainly all hopeful to at the very least, to make the playoffs with these Baby Sens and their new coaching staff, but still not too expectant considering the issues we’d been having with the parent club with injuries in the past…

Injuries: Wow, talk about having some major problems in that area, the Ottawa Senators could not for the life of them stay healthy, every single one of our corps went down at least once, sometimes all at once. Our defense was brutal and oft-injured, our offense was non-existent and oft-injured and our goaltending with “Porcelain Pascal” and “Sieve Brian” was in dire straits.

It was nightmarish to say the least, and completely (at least to me as I’m sure to many others) unexpected. So began the carousel of the Ottawa Senators and Binghamton Senators, Ottawa starts taking Bingo’s players away, as they were surging in the AHL, in a playoff spot, almost barely, but still in a spot, fighting – their best began being taken away, first Bobby Butler, then Robin Lehner (which was okay in the sense that Brust was on fire, but still seemingly halting Lehner’s development), then Andre Benoit, David Hale, Locke for a tryout, Roman Wick for a tryout, Greening, Condra etc…the list goes on and on and the revolving door would not stop. Here we were watching this unfold, frustrated with the fact that it was looking less and less likely that Bingo would survive this. Ottawa barely any fun to watch anymore, in a tailspin, icing an AHL team, the veterans clearly struggling possibly more than the younger guys – very concerning and extremely frustrating. Couldn’t we hold onto some kind of hope? At least for our Baby Sens to make the playoffs and give us something to cheer about!? Unlikely….or was it?

Coaching and the outcome: One person that we cannot forget and who got the Baby Sens to continue fighting for their playoff dreams and for their pride was one Kurt Kleinendorst or KK as most of us referred to him as. What a phenomenal man and coach, he along with his assistants Steve Stirling and video coach Matt Meacham along with the whole of the Hockey Operations below;
• Tim Murray
Ottawa Senators assistant general manager
• Glen Kinney
Athletic therapist
• Tom Severance
Equipment manager
• Alex Kermidas
Assistant equipment manager

Along with others, including of course the Baby Sens themselves, made certain that the goals were met and that the boys were on the right track, mentally, physically, emotionally to get through all of the ups and downs that they experienced throughout the season.

That hard work paid off in a big way for all involved.

Round 1 – Binghamton Senators (e5) vs Manchester Monarchs (e2) (Kings AHL team)

The B-Sens made the playoffs, though not an easy task, they did it. They began their post-season journey with a series against the Manchester Monarchs (Baby Kings) who finished 1st in the Atlantic Division, Bingo went on to win this series 4-3 – not at all an easy task, they were down 3-1 in this series going into game 5, KK made a big decision and decided to put Rookie goalie Robin Lehner in to start this game (nothing to lose at this point) as Barry Brust struggled to find his game. Well, Mr. Lehner went on to win game 5 – correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this is the game that Lehner made the biggest save of his young career so far on a penalty shot – then went on to win the game in Overtime on a goal by Daugavins from Benoit.

I could go on about every single game in this series, but I’ll stick to 1 or 2 per series – we can fill out the rest if necessary at a later time. :o)

Game 7 of round 1

Game 7 so truly began the collapse of the Monarchs and the Cinderella story of the B-Sens

Who thought we would have gotten to this point – it just doesn’t happen, or rarely so….

The Binghamton Senators became only the 2nd team in AHL history to win 4 OT games in 1 series, that’s how close this one was. Lehner stood on his head and the boys in front of him did what they had to do when they had to do it, winning this series after being down 3-1 to become the 16th team in AHL history to do so.

Recap of this historical game – Jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the 1st period (undoubtedly because of a rattled Monarchs team and some serious adrenaline on the B-Sens side.

Then came the 2nd period where the Monarchs started mounting their comeback – to eventually take a 5-4 lead by midway through the 3rd period.

Erik Condra scored with 1:45 left in regulation to send the game to 5th OT of the series.
Ryan Potulny then scored 3:07 into OT to win the series!!

http://www.binghamtonsenators.com/news/recaps/?article_id=1049 to read more on this historical game and all the statistics.

Now that’s a feat in itself, but their work wasn’t done yet!

Round 2 – Portland Pirates (a1)(Sabres) vs Binghamton Senators (e5)

This series went 6 games. Series was won by Bingo 4-2

The last game was won by a landslide and marked Robin Lehner’s first shutout of the Playoffs – 3-0 win for them.
All games won in regulation this time.

The series winning goal came from Jim O’Brien from Daugavins and Cowen

Round 3 – Binghamton Senators(e5) vs Charlotte Checkers (Canes)(e3)

SWEEP! Not that it was easy, but this series ended in a sweep for the B-Sens – Lehner posted his 2nd shutout of the post-season with this one and game 4 was the only one that went to extra time with Captain Keller scoring the game winner on a feed by Z. Smith.

Round 4 – Binghamton Senators (e5) vs Houston Aeroes(Wild) (w2) CALDER CUP FINAL!

They made it to the final for the first time in their history.

They won this series in 6 games surprisingly, I think we all thought it could easily go to 7 – the games were all close with the exception of games 1&5 where Houston won 3-1 in game 1 and Binghamton 4-2 in game 5. That’s the furthest it got marginally. This was a hard-fought series on both sides, with the Binghamton Senators coming out on top and being the hungriest team in the end. They couldn’t have done it without the heroics of one Robin Lehner – everyone knows who he is now.

Calder Cup Champions!!! – Series winning goal – Bobby Butler (we hope to see this name a lot with the Ottawa Senators for years to come) from Condra on the PP – followed quickly by the final goal of the series and playoffs by none other than Captain Keller from Benoit on the PP again.

This whole season from game 1 to the final game of this Championship Season was a whirlwind for both clubs – but really it was the coming out party for many of our future Ottawa Senators. Who would’ve thought that in the end Condra and Greening would each sign one-way contracts? Who would’ve thought that Robin Lehner, who barely played enough to warm up during the regular season – would win the Calder Cup and Playoff MVP (think about that for a while), who would’ve thought a brand new coach would bring such a group of young guys together enough to win it all? Through all of the adversity, blood, sweat and tears – revolving door, depleted lineup – how?
It happened, and it goes to show the character on this young team and the future of our parent club, will we hoist the Stanley Cup one day? Will it happen soon?

Nothing is impossible as these guys have shown – all you have to do is believe.

The Year of the Champs - Binghamton Senators  Binghamton-champs

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Share this post on: reddit

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 pm by sandysensfan

Great write up...

That was a great run. Made it to Bingo for game 5 of both the Portland & Houston series.

Great fans in Bingo... made us feel very welcome.

Lehner.... the future.....

PTFlea

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:38 pm by PTFlea

Great stuff. Brought back some awesome memories! Ahhhhh!

Remember almost crapping myself at the end of Game 6.

Ev

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:12 pm by Ev

I was just in Binghamton on Wednesday. What an awful place.

tim1_2

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:21 am by tim1_2

Big Ev wrote:I was just in Binghamton on Wednesday. What an awful place.

Welcome to small-town USA.

ddt

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:58 am by ddt

SensGirl11 wrote: Mr. Lehner went on to win game 5 – correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this is the game that Lehner made the biggest save of his young career so far on a penalty shot – then went on to win the game in Overtime on a goal by Daugavins from Benoit.

Yeah, Lehner stopped a penalty shot, in the 2nd OT no less!

wprager

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:21 pm by wprager

ddt wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote: Mr. Lehner went on to win game 5 – correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this is the game that Lehner made the biggest save of his young career so far on a penalty shot – then went on to win the game in Overtime on a goal by Daugavins from Benoit.

Yeah, Lehner stopped a penalty shot, in the 2nd OT no less!

In his fits post-season game, no less. It's when I posted "A legend is born?"

wprager

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:22 pm by wprager

Good article on Lehner here: http://senatorsextra.com/main/the-world-doesnt-know-the-real-robin-lehner-yet/

In his latest chat, Lehner reveals Tim Murray approached
him prior to his first Binghamton Senators playoff game and said
something to the effect of “now we’ll see if you have the makings of a
star.”

wprager

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:23 pm by wprager

Full article (in French) here: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/sports/senateurs-dottawa/201108/30/01-4430226-robin-lehner-ne-cache-pas-son-ambition.php

wprager

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:23 pm by wprager

Awesome pic in that article:

The Year of the Champs - Binghamton Senators  338792-robin-lehner-jared-cowen-tous

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:33 pm by Cap'n Clutch

Big Ev wrote:I was just in Binghamton on Wednesday. What an awful place.

Did you visit the Broom County arena?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum