GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stamkos not close to deal - offer sheets being prepared?

+11
dennycrane
DefenceWinsChampionships
rooneypoo
shabbs
Flo The Action
Riprock
Ev
spader
NEELY
SensHulk
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

60 million X 8 year (7.5 per) for Stamkos coming? Nice deal if true.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:TBay will match any offer sheet presented... book it.

The two most nonsensical suggestions I've had to endure for the last week or so are 1) that Stamkos is going to play anywhere other than TB for a long while to come, and 2) that PHI has lots of cap space right now and can sign B. Richards. I'm not sure which one hurts my head the most.

If the Flyers want to, they'll clear the room to add him and be f-ing ridiculous next season. They have some signings to make, but Versteeg on line 3 for 3+ million isn't something to keep around when you can get Richards.

The Stamkos 'rumours' were the dumbest thing I've heard in a while though.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:TBay will match any offer sheet presented... book it.

The two most nonsensical suggestions I've had to endure for the last week or so are 1) that Stamkos is going to play anywhere other than TB for a long while to come, and 2) that PHI has lots of cap space right now and can sign B. Richards. I'm not sure which one hurts my head the most.

If the Flyers want to, they'll clear the room to add him and be f-ing ridiculous next season. They have some signings to make, but Versteeg on line 3 for 3+ million isn't something to keep around when you can get Richards.

The Stamkos 'rumours' were the dumbest thing I've heard in a while though.

Agreed. Philly does have some moveable pieces in Versteeg, Coburn, and Carle. They can also dump someone like Laperriere in the minors or on LTIR. They could also trade Leino, Voracek, and/or Simmonds. If they really wanted to make a push for Richards they could realistically do it. That being said, I think he ends up a Ranger. No way he goes from two small market teams in Dallas and Tampa to Toronto; New York seems like the perfect fit for him. Big market, but still not in a media-crazed hockey environment. Good wingers on each side, good depth on the team, Tortorella... it just makes sense.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

As for Stamkos, he will be a Bolt. Yzerman knows better than to let a young goal scorer slip away. A 5 year, $33 million contract isn't out of the question in Tampa. If he wants to stay in Tampa afterwards, St. Louis will be off the books and they'll have the capability to sign him to a longer contract after that.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I'm curiouis what the cost would be for someone to trade for Stamkos. If Yzerman called other GM's, the bidding could be insane. What would they want from the Sens?

FWIW, a friend of mine met Stamkos in LV at the NHL Awards and Stamkos said he wanted to stay in TBay.

dennycrane wrote:I'm curiouis what the cost would be for someone to trade for Stamkos. If Yzerman called other GM's, the bidding could be insane. What would they want from the Sens?

FWIW, a friend of mine met Stamkos in LV at the NHL Awards and Stamkos said he wanted to stay in TBay.

What's he supposed to say though? He hates the sunshine and bikinis? Even if he wanted out, he hasn't publicly acknowledged it, so he can't really say anything right?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

dennycrane wrote:I'm curiouis what the cost would be for someone to trade for Stamkos. If Yzerman called other GM's, the bidding could be insane. What would they want from the Sens?

I don't even think that we have the assets. The most we can offer would be something like Spezza, Karlsson, a solid prospect (Rundblad, Silversurfer, lehner) and a 1st round pick but that deal doesn't make sense for Ottawa or for Tampa. Maybe Spezza, 1st, Solid prospect.

I really have no idea ... Wink

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Way, way too much.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Tampa would say way too little. And I'd agree.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

dennycrane wrote:Tampa would say way too little. And I'd agree.

Which comes back to my original statement ... we don't have the assets needed to make this trade.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

It's too bad the "good old days" are gone. We could have traded Spezza, Foligno and $20Million for Stamkos Wink

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Stamkos is not a generational player and ths not worth 4 1st rounders. Not like he's gonna player somewhere else than Tampa anyway.
EDIT: So 4 1st rounders: Zibanejad, Karlsson, Cowen and Rundblad...and not one of those guys are even top 5 draft picks.
No thanks. Laugh1

Last edited by marakh on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

NEELY

Mod
Mod

marakh wrote:Stamkos is not a generational player and ths not worth 4 1st rounders. Not like he's gonna player somewhere else than Tampa anyway.

Almost reminds me of Spezza's situation in Ottawa. Guy is playing with amazing players, especially St.Louis and now he's going to be paid way more than he every should have been. St.Louis is Alfi, just better.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:Stamkos is not a generational player and ths not worth 4 1st rounders. Not like he's gonna player somewhere else than Tampa anyway.
EDIT: So 4 1st rounders: Zibanejad, Karlsson, Cowen and Rundblad...and not one of those guys are even top 5 draft picks.
No thanks. Laugh1

Yost made a great point in a recent article. He said that, for teams that expect to compete for the Cup, offer sheets make more sense. I'd rather trade 4 players that are comparable to Foligno (late first), than 4 that are comparable to Cowen (earlyish first). Trading four FRPs that are going to fall in the late stages (20-30) of the first round is a lot better than Burke-ing and giving up FRPs at the wrong time.

That said, Ottawa clearly isn't in a position that would make this move make sense.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Picking 20-30 for 4 straight years means hoping your team wins the division or makes the Conference finals 4 years in a row. How many teams can do that?

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:Picking 20-30 for 4 straight years means hoping your team wins the division or makes the Conference finals 4 years in a row. How many teams can do that?

Not many. All that I'm saying is that an offer sheet for a player that would command the type of salary that Stamkos would command would only make sense if the GM was certain that that's where he'd be picking.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I disagree that a non-contender shouldn't make an offer. I'd like to see the NYI make an offer. they have the space. and a line with tavares and stamkos??? ppfffff. crazy.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Like it has been said, Stamkos isn't a generational talent. He's a solid player but has had a ton of help. In all honesty, he isn't exactly proven in a lot of ways. His playoffs were not the greatest either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum