GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Derek Boogard passes away

+5
Tuk Tuk
SensHulk
Flo The Action
PTFlea
Riprock
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Derek Boogard passes away Empty Derek Boogard passes away Fri May 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

RealKyper Nick Kypreos
I'm saddened to hear #Rangers Derek Boogaard was found dead early this morning. A formal announcement is expected as early as tonite.

Wow, that is very tragic.

Last edited by Dash on Sat May 14, 2011 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

2Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Fri May 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Only 28 years old. Only a year older than I am. Scary.

Condolences to the Boogaard family, his friends and the hockey world.

3Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Fri May 13, 2011 10:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's terrible. Condolences to his family. What a damn shame.

4Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Fri May 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

holy! that's out of left field. i wonder what the causes his. tragic for those close to him.

5Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Fri May 13, 2011 10:58 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

holy Dung....this is not right. just not right at all. condolences all around to his family.

6Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Fri May 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Concussion related at all?

7Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Sat May 14, 2011 12:35 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Official statement/announcement from the Rangers:

The New York Rangers are very saddened to announce the passing of Derek Boogaard.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=562775&navid=DL|NYR|home

“Derek was an extremely kind and caring individual,” said New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather. “He was a very thoughtful person, who will be dearly missed by all those who knew him. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates during this difficult time.”

Boogaard began his NHL career with Minnesota and appeared in 255 career games with the Wild from 2005-06 to 2009-10. He joined the New York Rangers on July 1, 2010, appearing in 22 games in the 2010-11 season.

Throughout his career, Boogaard sought to make a difference in the communities he played in, taking part in numerous charitable endeavors.

Derek Boogaard
Derek Boogaard is shown in this photo after he scored an unforgettable goal for the Rangers against Washington on Nov. 9, 2010, at MSG.
Boogaard was a supporter of the Defending the Blue Line Foundation, a non-profit charitable foundation whose mission is to ensure that children of military members are afforded every opportunity to participate in the great sport of hockey.

While with the Rangers, he created “Boogaard’s Booguardians,” hosting military members and their families at all New York Ranger home games. In addition, he made multiple appearances with partner organizations of the Garden of Dreams Foundation, the non-profit charity that works closely with all areas of Madison Square Garden, including the New York Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, MSG Media, MSG Entertainment and Fuse “to make dreams come true for kids facing obstacles”.

The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan native was originally Minnesota’s seventh round choice, 202nd overall, in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

8Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Sat May 14, 2011 7:44 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Very sad news. He was so young.

9Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Sat May 14, 2011 7:59 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Did he play again after Carkner fought him? If it's concussion-related this is going to tough on Carkner, too.

10Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Sat May 14, 2011 8:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

When no details are released like this, it's usually not a good story. Autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow.

11Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Sat May 14, 2011 8:08 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Did he play again after Carkner fought him? If it's concussion-related this is going to tough on Carkner, too.

it cannot be a direct link to concussions as death from concussions happen after a relative short period of time after the injury. not months after. but prolonged activities which result in concussions have many long term problems for patients. loads of wrestlers have these sort of problems. it could of caused a depression and then that leads to other things.
until further information is knowned i would be very careful to start linking it to certain events in particular.

12Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Sat May 14, 2011 8:22 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Depression, headaches which may lead to dependency on medication. Reminds me of John Kordic who died at 27, but probably different circumstances.

13Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Sat May 14, 2011 8:24 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Did he play again after Carkner fought him? If it's concussion-related this is going to tough on Carkner, too.

it cannot be a direct link to concussions as death from concussions happen after a relative short period of time after the injury. not months after. but prolonged activities which result in concussions have many long term problems for patients. loads of wrestlers have these sort of problems. it could of caused a depression and then that leads to other things.
until further information is knowned i would be very careful to start linking it to certain events in particular.
Yeah, we'll have to wait for the autopsy... it could be anything...

14Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Sat May 14, 2011 10:42 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Damien Cox has hit a new low... he tweets about the Boogaard death and then his next tweet is about the injury from the Carkner fight, subtly suggesting they are linked. He then runs away from the criticism saying "let's wait for the autopsy results" etc... Careless tweeting there by Damo. Very poor.

15Derek Boogard passes away Empty Re: Derek Boogard passes away Sat May 14, 2011 11:15 am

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

I don't believe he did... I hope it was not concussion related.
My husband heard reports that he had depression as well.

No matter how it happened.. this is tragic. My condolences to his family, friends, teammates.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum