GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

AHL ECF GAME ONE: Binghamton @ Charlotte, Thursday, May 12,

+8
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
PTFlea
Riprock
Ev
tim1_2
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So, it has come to this:

AHL ECF GAME ONE: Binghamton @ Charlotte, Thursday, May 12,  Brackets11_488

and this:

AHL ECF GAME ONE: Binghamton @ Charlotte, Thursday, May 12,  Aggressive-SENS-450px-

VS

AHL ECF GAME ONE: Binghamton @ Charlotte, Thursday, May 12,  Checkers1a

The Binghamton Senators will represent the Atlantic Division in the Easter Conference Finals of the AHL against fellow Eastern Division team Charlotte Checkers. In quirk of the AHL playoff format two teams from the same Division are in the Conference Finals. Two teams that were not expected to be here but who, nonetheless, knocked off the favorites.

Sorry for keeping this brief. Check out Joy's blog for all the info, updates, previews, etc.

Last edited by wprager on Thu May 12, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gryba participated in the full workout on Monday and KK says he will play in Game 1.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Forward lines at practice:

Zack Smith-Ryan Potulny-Ryan Keller
Colin Greening-Corey Locke-Bobby Butler
Kaspars Daugavins-Jim O'Brien-Erik Condra
Mike Hoffman-Cody Bass-Roman Wick

And the Black Aces:
Corey Cowick-David Dziurzynski-Jason Bailey/Pat Cannone

D-pairings were "fluid" as they had 9 defensemen participating. Wiercioch practiced but may need a bit more time.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Good article on the Five Things to know about this series:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/10/2287338/5-things-to-know-on-checkers-senators.html

1. They're giant-killers

Charlotte and Binghamton got here by knocking off higher-seeded opponents.

The East Division's third-seeded Checkers took down the two-time defending AHL champion Hershey Bears four games to two, then eliminated the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, the league's best regular-season team with 58 wins, 4-2.

The Senators, seeded fifth in the East Division, defeated the Manchester Monarchs 4-3 and the Portland Pirates 4-2, the second-best and top teams from the Atlantic Division.

2. They're dramatic

The Checkers twice have won playoff games with four-goal third periods, once during each series.

The Senators and Manchester went to overtime five times, with Binghamton winning four.

3. They've been tested

Charlotte and Binghamton were in the eight-team East Division. Fifth-place Binghamton got a playoff berth because its record was better than fourth-place Worcester in the Atlantic Division.

4. They score when it counts

Charlotte has outscored its opponents 17-8 in the third period or overtime.

The Senators have scored 46 goals in the playoffs, more than any other team.

5. They have stars ...

... with the puck: Center Zac Dalpe leads the Checkers in playoff scoring with 12 points (five goals, seven assists). Senators center Ryan Potulny leads all AHL playoff scorers with 10 goals and 19 points.

... and in goal: Charlotte's Mike Murphy leads all goalies in save percentage (.944), ranks third with a 1.79 goals-against average and holds a 7-3 record. Senators goalie Robin Lehner is 7-2, .926 save percentage and 2.59 GAA.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/10/2287338/5-things-to-know-on-checkers-senators.html#ixzz1M8Z0boZh

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Now that's good coverage! Nice job, Prags.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We're getting raped.

Sarcasm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

That's the Spirit... durp.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have said that the last 2 series and we won, so I gotta keep it up.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SD's Red Line Report:

Colin Greening and Jim O'Brien...

Both have played the game well, but neither has found their scoring touch yet (3 points for Greening, 4 for O'Brien). If the B-Sens are to advance, they need these two guys to step up offensively and really rattle the cage of Murphy, who's put up superlative numbers as the Checkers' netminder.

With the addition of Corey Locke and his 6 assists in 6 games, it's time for everyone on the B-Sens to get themselves into the scoring and make life as difficult as possible on Charlotte. It'll never come to a moment where the B-Sens can ride Potulny and Keller and Z.Smith for the entire post-season and now's as good a time as any to start firing on all cylinders with the lethal depth that the B-Sens possess up front.

GO B-SENS!!!!! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Charlotte Checkers Probable Lines:

Boychuk - Dalpe - Sutter
Bowman - Matsumoto - Terry
Osala - Dodge - Blanchard
Micflikier - Herauf - Pistilli

Apparently Charolotte loads up the top line from time to time 5 on 5, so the B-Sens will have to be very aware of this. When they throw this out, Cowen and Benoit will have to be ready to jump onto the ice.

Also, the additions of Gryba and possibly Schira could make a massive difference on the back end. No word on David Hale other than he seems to have a nasty virus that's keeping him out of action.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

B-Sens are the highest scoring team in the AHL playoffs (playing 13 games probably doesn't hurt). And I believe Charlotte's goalie has the best SV%. Just checked, yes, he does -- .944. Lehner is a bit behind there at .926, but if you look at the difference in GAA you begin to see the real story here.

Lehner is 7th of 20 goalies in SV%, but 12th in GAA. The discrepancy is mainly due to injuries on the back end, where the Sens played the entire 1st round with 5 defensemen, including a NCAA callup who played 5 minutes in the double-OT game. In other words, they were pretty much playing with 4D.

By the 2nd round Borowiecki was playing more minutes and they were able to bring in Turner/Sloane to play a few shifts. Basically they went from 4 regulars plus a low-minutes guy, to 5 regular plus a low-minutes guy. And it showed as they only lost twice and avoided OT.

Then Cowen came in for Game 6 (essentially replacing Wiercioch) and they got a shutout. Now with Gryba back as well, I think we'll see Lehner's GAA going down. Maybe even his SV% (he's 1.000 since Cowen arrived Wink )

SpezDispenser wrote:SD's Red Line Report:

Colin Greening and Jim O'Brien...

Both have played the game well, but neither has found their scoring touch yet (3 points for Greening, 4 for O'Brien). If the B-Sens are to advance, they need these two guys to step up offensively and really rattle the cage of Murphy, who's put up superlative numbers as the Checkers' netminder.

With the addition of Corey Locke and his 6 assists in 6 games, it's time for everyone on the B-Sens to get themselves into the scoring and make life as difficult as possible on Charlotte. It'll never come to a moment where the B-Sens can ride Potulny and Keller and Z.Smith for the entire post-season and now's as good a time as any to start firing on all cylinders with the lethal depth that the B-Sens possess up front.

GO B-SENS!!!!! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

okay I hate being nitpicky, but pleaaase can we put the 'G' back in 'GAME'??

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:B-Sens are the highest scoring team in the AHL playoffs (playing 13 games probably doesn't hurt). And I believe Charlotte's goalie has the best SV%. Just checked, yes, he does -- .944. Lehner is a bit behind there at .926, but if you look at the difference in GAA you begin to see the real story here.

Lehner is 7th of 20 goalies in SV%, but 12th in GAA. The discrepancy is mainly due to injuries on the back end, where the Sens played the entire 1st round with 5 defensemen, including a NCAA callup who played 5 minutes in the double-OT game. In other words, they were pretty much playing with 4D.

By the 2nd round Borowiecki was playing more minutes and they were able to bring in Turner/Sloane to play a few shifts. Basically they went from 4 regulars plus a low-minutes guy, to 5 regular plus a low-minutes guy. And it showed as they only lost twice and avoided OT.

Then Cowen came in for Game 6 (essentially replacing Wiercioch) and they got a shutout. Now with Gryba back as well, I think we'll see Lehner's GAA going down. Maybe even his SV% (he's 1.000 since Cowen arrived Wink )

The numbers on Lehner are skewed a bit because of 1 really bad game he had where he let in 4 goals in the first period or whatever it was, but the points you make are very valid. We've been talking about the return of Schira and D.Smith for a while now - and it looks like they might come back (I haven't heard anything yet about them today) and Gryba's the big surprise. He might take a couple of games to get into it full - perhaps playing 3rd pairing minutes - but he'll be a massive boost.

Turner and Sloane can sit back now and hopefully during the course of the series the D will start looking:

Cowen - Benoit
D.Smith - Gryba
Wierioch - Schira/Raymond

How the heck they got through the 1st round with 4 D is something I literally don't understand. Amazing...Lehner was awesome and a real team commitment to collapsing around the net (apparently).

I'm pumped! Go B-Sens!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Gryba is ready to go, Wiercioch is not skating this morning. Diddle me, that's incredible! Go Gryba!

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Gryba is ready to go, Wiercioch is not skating this morning. Diddle me, that's incredible! Go Gryba!

yeah that's awesome! Just wish Weircioch could have been ready to go too....we'd reaally then get a glimpse of our future defense core. Plus weircioch is a useful d-man

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum