GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Atlanta moving to Winnipeg?

+6
Number Twenty Nine
SensHulk
Ev
dennycrane
PTFlea
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This was broken yesterday by some twitter I'd never hear of, but it was re-tweeted by Dan Tencer, who followed up with his own info.

Apparently Phoenix is out as a potential team moving to Winnipeg, but Atlanta is almost a done deal. Could be announced as soon as Friday, but more likely to be the week of May 9, as the BOG requires a ticket drive in place.

As Rooney pointed out, an Eastern team moving to the Western Conference will require some realignment -- maybe Detroit back to the East?

And what does this mean to Phoenix?

Discuss.

2Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:32 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Do it, nothing more to really discuss.

3Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not so quick.

Even if Phoenix is not moving to Winnipeg, it's probably still moving. The other possible destination is Quebec City, which is also in the East. If that happens then you don't need to move Detroit to the East. Almost sounds like a rationalization -- to avoid having to re-align the conferences (and possibly doing it again when Phoenix *does* move) just do both moves at the same time.

But how would NBC -- having signed that $2B deal -- feel about losing two US markets before the deal kicks in?

By the way, unrelated to this move, but here is an article spelling out the deal that ESPN had on the table:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-ESPN-was-offering-the-NHL-before-NBC-megade?urn=nhl-wp3666

Some interesting ideas there. They would televise all SC games nationally, and would stream games to authenticated broadband and mobile devices. NBC picks and chooses which games they show (will they even show all games of the final round?) and (not that it affects me) they could not match the streaming component. I would imagine streaming every game could be something they could sell to Europe and emerging Asian markets.

4Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:05 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

City of Phoenix owes NHL $25 million bucks...and it's due Tuesday.
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2011/04/28/20110428nhl-phoenix-coyotes-bill-for-glendale.html

Quebec City does not have the financing in place yet. With Tom Glavine recently talking up a purchase, I can't see the Thrashers moving this season.

As for losing TV money, I'm sure the NHL is smart enough (EDIT: hmm....) to have language in their deals with CBC, TSN, and Sportsnet for more money should there be additional teams north of the border. I'm sure the numbers would wash. A 5th Sportsnet channel?

5Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:19 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

dennycrane wrote:City of Phoenix owes NHL $25 million bucks...and it's due Tuesday.
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2011/04/28/20110428nhl-phoenix-coyotes-bill-for-glendale.html

Quebec City does not have the financing in place yet. With Tom Glavine recently talking up a purchase, I can't see the Thrashers moving this season.

As for losing TV money, I'm sure the NHL is smart enough (EDIT: hmm....) to have language in their deals with CBC, TSN, and Sportsnet for more money should there be additional teams north of the border. I'm sure the numbers would wash. A 5th Sportsnet channel?

Tom Glavine can't afford to buy the Thrashers himself lol.

6Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
dennycrane wrote:City of Phoenix owes NHL $25 million bucks...and it's due Tuesday.

Tom Glavine can't afford to buy the Thrashers himself lol.

Same could be said of Gretzky and Lemieux.

7Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:58 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Who owes Gretzky?

8Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:28 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

we've heard waaay more about the phoenix situation and the fact that the nhl owns phoenix should really make it the likelier team to move....

how does atlanta suddenly become the team to move when the league hasn't exhausted all options to keep it there? I can't see it happening...not for this upcoming season.

9Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

The Yokes will be bought by Todd Yusso

10Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:33 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Number Twenty Nine wrote:The Yokes will be bought by Todd Yusso

How do the penguins nation tears taste?

11Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Michallica wrote:

Delicious!

I predicted their 1 round exit when they were struggling at the beginning of the season. They're only getting worse from here - they have crested. oh and I hate them....

12Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:01 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
Michallica wrote:

Delicious!

I predicted their 1 round exit when they were struggling at the beginning of the season. They're only getting worse from here - they have crested. oh and I hate them....

Your prediction would not have come true if Malkin and Crosby were playing.

13Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:59 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What about Phoenix moving to Kansas City. Isn't there an NHL ready building waiting there for a team? I mean PITT almost moved there didn't they?

14Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:52 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:

Delicious!

That's true. One time, I saw them turn 1 fish and 1 loaf into multiple fishes and loaves -- enough to feed an entire stadium full of fans. Ahhhhh!

15Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Empty Re: Atlanta moving to Winnipeg? Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:18 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:

Delicious!

bitter much? there's always next year Cheering

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum