GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon

+8
jawal
dennycrane
tim1_2
wprager
SeawaySensFan
Ev
NEELY
SensHulk
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should the sens re-sign Ryan Shannon?

The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Vote_lcap264%The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Vote_rcap2 64% [ 7 ]
The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Vote_lcap236%The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Vote_rcap2 36% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:45 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Okay so there's been enough discussion....I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Considering not just his recent hot streak, but his entire tenure with the sens, his utility as a serviceable forward and penalty killer....

To sign or not to sign? And if so, how much do you think he'd agree to? Just because sens want him doesn't mean Del Shannon signs on the dotted line....right?

Season Stats

Career Stats
Year Team League GP G A PTS +/- PPG PPA SHG SHA GWG PIM Shots PCT Hits
2010-11 Ottawa NHL 77 11 15 26 2 5 4 1 0 1 18 115 9.57 34
2009-10 Ottawa NHL 66 5 11 16 -12 1 1 0 0 1 20 109 4.59 -
2008-09 Ottawa NHL 35 8 12 20 -1 3 4 0 0 1 2 61 13.11 -

2The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:53 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Don't see how you can't at this point. You have a guy like Regin may or may not fall out of favour with The Sens come training camp and you need a guy that can fill that role... a guy to move up and down the lineup and play special teams.

Shannon is a fantastic inurence policy if nothing else.

3The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He should be but he won't be. That's my guess. He'll get a pay raise somwhere else.

4The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:55 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would re-sign this guy in a heartbeat but... the Senators just have too many guys ready to take a step forward and he would be taking up some valuable minutes from those guys.

Decent, useful player though.

5The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:56 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Sens just nominated him for the Masterton. Does that change opinions?

6The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:The Sens just nominated him for the Masterton. Does that change opinions?

I believe the Sens media like Garrioch nominated him

7The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:01 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Who else were we going to nominate? Kovalev?

He won't be in the discussion for the Masterton, and that has no bearing on this discussion.

If he have room for a utility player, he should be signed. That depends on the other free agents we sign.

8The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:16 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:The Sens just nominated him for the Masterton. Does that change opinions?

I Cussing called that Dung!

9The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:32 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Probably 2 years at around 850K per.

10The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:02 pm

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

dennycrane wrote:Probably 2 years at around 850K per.

I agree with these figures and resigning him. A useful player, can play pp and pk.

11The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:21 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

I would definitely sign him.

We can almost bet the Alfie and Michalek will probably get injured at some point next season. Same as Spezz.

He would be a good insurance policy. He is under 30. Can play every forward position. Good on PK & PP.

12The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:53 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I'm more of the thought process that he shouldn't be, but he will be. I agree with SSF. We are in a rebuild. Why give up a valuable roster spot to a player who has reached his potential. Good on the guy, he's maybe 5'8 playing with guys bigger than him, and doesn't get intimidated. It's impressive, but that still means he'll be taking the spot of one of our other young forwards.

We have Alfie, Spezza, Michalek, Neil, and Foligno as locks for next year. 4 of them as top six (if you count Foligno, if not then fine, he could be on a 2b line). Then we also have Regin who will most likely be given another chance to succeed. Personally I feel he will be better than he was this season. His effort was not the problem.

Then competing for possibly one top 3 job and 3 or 4 2a/b jobs are Condra, Greening, the two 1st rounders from this year and possibly the 2nd, Da Costa, Butler, Wick.

Then we'll most likely have Smith on the 4th line, with Winchester and either a castoff from the competition for the top lines, or someone like O'brien, Bass, or Bailey.

And this doesn't include any free agent we might sign, or any surprise nice surprise we may find in Training camp, like one of the Swedes (Petersson or Silfverberg) decide to come over, or Hoffman, Grant or someone else completely surprises. It's possible, but not likely, which is why I did not include it before.

Anyway, all this to stress that we are in a rebuild. Shannon was good for us, but he's better suited as a depth player on a team like Atlanta than a rebuilding team like ours. We need to go with the youth, and give them a chance to attain their potential by giving them minutes to play in different situations.

13The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

one year deal no more. sure 850 sounds about right. but by a second year chances are he'd be expandable.
basicaly he's a 13th forward ready to replace someone in the top 6 when injuries happen.

14The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:01 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:one year deal no more. sure 850 sounds about right. but by a second year chances are he'd be expandable.
basicaly he's a 13th forward ready to replace someone in the top 6 when injuries happen.

So don't give him a NTC. This guy has earned a 3 year term.

Edit: Chris Kelly was getting $2M+. Offensively they are similar over their career (0.36 ppg vs. 0.33 for Shannon). Shannon has played point on the PP and done a good job, so for a team lacking in that capacity he has an even higher upside. Recall that he scored 20 points in 35 games his first year with the Sens -- played quite a bit on the PP.

I'm not suggesting he deserves Chris Kelly money (not even Chris Kelly deserves that much), but this is a guy with similar offensive production but more versatility (PP/PK, wing/center).

15The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Empty Re: The Future Of.....Ryan Shannon Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:23 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:one year deal no more. sure 850 sounds about right. but by a second year chances are he'd be expandable.

So don't give him a NTC. This guy has earned a 3 year term.

Edit: Chris Kelly was getting $2M+. Offensively they are similar over their career (0.36 ppg vs. 0.33 for Shannon). Shannon has played point on the PP and done a good job, so for a team lacking in that capacity he has an even higher upside. Recall that he scored 20 points in 35 games his first year with the Sens -- played quite a bit on the PP.

I'm not suggesting he deserves Chris Kelly money (not even Chris Kelly deserves that much), but this is a guy with similar offensive production but more versatility (PP/PK, wing/center).
yes but he's not used as much as kelly. he's nothing more then a 13th forward. He's really just an injury call-up. If he played constantly the way i've been hearing he's playing now... well then maybe. this isn't the Shannon we've had the past 2 years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum