GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2011 WC discussion

+9
Ev
tim1_2
PTFlea
NEELY
SDH89
spader
wprager
SensHulk
Riprock
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

12011 WC discussion Empty 2011 WC discussion Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Darren Pang Tweeted that both Alex Pietrangelo and Chris Stewart were named to Canada, and Shattenkirk on USA. However, nobody else has confirmed.

22011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:10 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Darren Pang Tweeted that both Alex Pietrangelo and Chris Stewart were named to Canada, and Shattenkirk on USA. However, nobody else has confirmed.

Ryan shannon also confirmed this week on the radio that he was asked to be on team USA and he has already agreed. So add that name to the list Smile

32011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Good for Shannon.

42011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I wonder if they'll pick Kessel last Smile

52011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:
Dash wrote:Darren Pang Tweeted that both Alex Pietrangelo and Chris Stewart were named to Canada, and Shattenkirk on USA. However, nobody else has confirmed.

Ryan shannon also confirmed this week on the radio that he was asked to be on team USA and he has already agreed. So add that name to the list Smile

I was firmly in the "don't re-sign Shannon in the off-season" camp earlier in the season. I'm just taking this opportunity to say that I really hope he gets signed again. He's such an asset. He can play in any situation, on any line, provides some offense, has wheels like nobody's business, etc. I used to think that he was easily replaceable, but at his salary and considering what he brings to the table, this guy is like found money (to borrow one of everyone's favourite sportscaster's lines).

62011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:18 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:

I was firmly in the "don't re-sign Shannon in the off-season" camp earlier in the season. I'm just taking this opportunity to say that I really hope he gets signed again. He's such an asset. He can play in any situation, on any line, provides some offense, has wheels like nobody's business, etc. I used to think that he was easily replaceable, but at his salary and considering what he brings to the table, this guy is like found money (to borrow one of everyone's favourite sportscaster's lines).

My concern with Shannon is that he's had a run like this with the Sens before. After Clouston came aboard at the end of the 08-09 season, Shannon was thrusted into a top 6 roll and succeeded. Then for about a year and a half he toiled in obscurity and wasn't much of a factor at all. All of a sudden we find ourselves in a similar position as we were in during the 08-09 season, where Shannon is yet again getting top 6 minutes and flourishing. The thing is, looking at the roster for next year, it's almost a guarantee that Shannon won't be getting his top minutes again, and I'm afraid he'll just revert back to being the "invisible" Shannon who needs big minutes to make an impact.

72011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:23 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SDH89 wrote:
spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:

My concern with Shannon is that he's had a run like this with the Sens before. After Clouston came aboard at the end of the 08-09 season, Shannon was thrusted into a top 6 roll and succeeded. Then for about a year and a half he toiled in obscurity and wasn't much of a factor at all. All of a sudden we find ourselves in a similar position as we were in during the 08-09 season, where Shannon is yet again getting top 6 minutes and flourishing. The thing is, looking at the roster for next year, it's almost a guarantee that Shannon won't be getting his top minutes again, and I'm afraid he'll just revert back to being the "invisible" Shannon who needs big minutes to make an impact.

You might be right. However, I'm more than happy to have him be a bit invisible on the third or fourth line (or even in B-town) as long as he'll provide some offense if and when he's called upon to replace an injured top-6 guy. He's a good utility guy and he's cheap.

82011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:44 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:

You might be right. However, I'm more than happy to have him be a bit invisible on the third or fourth line (or even in B-town) as long as he'll provide some offense if and when he's called upon to replace an injured top-6 guy. He's a good utility guy and he's cheap.

I'm not against re-signing him, I just think it's best if we don't expect his current offensive output next season.

92011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:28 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SDH89 wrote:
spader wrote:You might be right. However, I'm more than happy to have him be a bit invisible on the third or fourth line (or even in B-town) as long as he'll provide some offense if and when he's called upon to replace an injured top-6 guy. He's a good utility guy and he's cheap.

I'm not against re-signing him, I just think it's best if we don't expect his current offensive output next season.

Oh, agreed. I don't expect that, nor do I think that it's safe to do so. Like I said, I think he's the ideal depth signing.

102011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:17 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

When Shannon was "toiling" on the 3rd/4th lines he was outscoring the likes of Regin and Foligno. The year he seemed to disappear -- wasn't that the year he started out hot, playing the point on the PP and then he got smoked? Concussions can do that to players. As long as he doesn't slide up the pay scale to $2M I'm quite happy to have him back there, ready to fill in as needed.

112011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:30 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Shannon's struggles last year had a lot to do with his concussion problems. He didn't have the same kind of confidence going into corners and moving at full speed like he did before. I was a big "Shannon is useless" guy but he has shown he can fill spot duty on every single line and in every single situation.

Shannon isn't the end all and be all in Ottawa but he's a pretty valuable player. He's the type of guy that will keep other players on their toes in terms of their work ethic because one slip up, Shannon will jump into their spot. Healthey copitition between players is a good thing and last thing Ottawa needs is more guys like Fisher who just seem totally complacent in their roles.

I wouldn't bat an eye if Shannon wasn't resigned but he has earned another contract even if it's for only another year. He's a solid player and he will be in The NHL next year either with Ottawa or someone else.

It would be tough to not reward his hardwork at this point though, don't think it sends a very good message. I would take him over Regin to be sure.

122011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

^ You don't have to choose between Regin and Shannon, you can have both.

132011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:51 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

We'll see but Regin is in a lot of trouble going into camp next season.

142011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:We'll see but Regin is in a lot of trouble going into camp next season.

Of course, we've all talked about it a lot, he needs to come in with legs like two f-ing tree trunks and the desire to lay it out on the line. Too much competition to go 'offensively cold' for more than a handful of games at a time next year.

152011 WC discussion Empty Re: 2011 WC discussion Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:55 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Safe to assume Spezza will be named to the World Championship team this year? He's been on quite a run since he came back and would make a great number 1-2 center. I'm assuming Eric Staal will be the other center.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum