GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chris Kelly Traded to Boston for 2nd Round Draft Pick

+25
spader
SensFan71
ddt
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
wprager
stempniaksen
CockRoche
SensHulk
22_4_ever
The Silfer Server
Hoags
dennycrane
Flo The Action
jawal
Ev
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
SDH89
garblar
Oglethorpe
PTFlea
LeCaptain
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 17]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I just really hope he doesn't take out a page in the paper for a thank you letter Ahhhhh!

Edit: supposed to be Laugh1

Last edited by Big Ev on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

SDH89

Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:Fisher I understood. $4.2 mil, not really clear if he was a top 2 centre. A playoff performer more than a regular season guy. A tough move, but one that had to be made. Plus, a 1st makes it worthwhile.

Kelly, I don't get. This guy is a leader, steady as they come, plays all roles, affordable, loyal. A 2nd is not enough for those things. If that all the offers are, just keep him.

My feelings exactly.

jawal

Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:Fisher I understood. $4.2 mil, not really clear if he was a top 2 centre. A playoff performer more than a regular season guy. A tough move, but one that had to be made. Plus, a 1st makes it worthwhile.

Kelly, I don't get. This guy is a leader, steady as they come, plays all roles, affordable, loyal. A 2nd is not enough for those things. If that all the offers are, just keep him.

I agree entirely with your post.

Kelly is a bonafide NHL player and our best PKer traded for a mid to late 2nd round pick which is a lottery ticket, some times you get NHLer with the pick sometimes you don't.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Yuck.

There's nothing redeemable about this. A 2nd for Kelly. Diddle.
What would you expect the return to be. He's not worth a 1st.

I expect you don't trade a guy like Kelly for anything less than a big-time overpay.
So you keep him around for 1 more year so that he can play 3rd line centre in front of Smith or Winchester ?

I get that Chris Kelly was a good player, but he isn't worth more than a 2nd, he wasn't going to be around when the team is competitive again and he is a big part of the culture that EVERYONE has been clamouring to change.

This is going to be a complete rebuild and it's about time. I hope Kelly and Fisher excel with their new team's, but we will be better off in the long run blowing this thing right up.

I agree, a 2nd is actually a good return for someone of Kelly's skill level.

But to me, you need guys to build around, for all kinds of reasons, and Kelly was one of them. Kelly, Neil, Spezza, Alfie, Karlsson. Personally, I've got Phillips in there too, but with this trade, all bets are definitely off.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It is sad to see him go, but it's time for a rebuild for sure. If they feel they needed to get rid of guys like Kelly, then so be it I guess. Maybe they will package picks to move up in each round, who knows.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Yuck.

There's nothing redeemable about this. A 2nd for Kelly. Diddle.
What would you expect the return to be. He's not worth a 1st.

I expect you don't trade a guy like Kelly for anything less than a big-time overpay.
So you keep him around for 1 more year so that he can play 3rd line centre in front of Smith or Winchester ?

I get that Chris Kelly was a good player, but he isn't worth more than a 2nd, he wasn't going to be around when the team is competitive again and he is a big part of the culture that EVERYONE has been clamouring to change.

This is going to be a complete rebuild and it's about time. I hope Kelly and Fisher excel with their new team's, but we will be better off in the long run blowing this thing right up.

I agree, a 2nd is actually a good return for someone of Kelly's skill level.

But to me, you need guys to build around, for all kinds of reasons, and Kelly was one of them. Kelly, Neil, Spezza, Alfie, Karlsson. Personally, I've got Phillips in there too, but with this trade, all bets are definitely off.

I hope so or this trade is even more Cussed.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jawal wrote:

Kelly is a bonafide NHL player and our best PKer traded for a mid to late 2nd round pick which is a lottery ticket, some times you get NHLer with the pick sometimes you don't.

My only hope is that what we're doing is acquiring bargaining chips we can us to move up a few spots in the first round, whether on the NSH pick or some other pick. I could handle giving up Fisher & Kelly if it meant we could parlay those 2 picks into a top 10 pick in the first round. Something like that, anyway.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

If Kelly were to be an RFA after next year rather than UFA, I would imagine he would not have been dealt.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:It is sad to see him go, but it's time for a rebuild for sure. If they feel they needed to get rid of guys like Kelly, then so be it I guess. Maybe they will package picks to move up in each round, who knows.

Great minds.... Smile

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

loved what kelly brought to ottawa. IMO we should of kept him as he's a good role-model... i'm not sure how i feel about this trade though, it remains to be seen who's left on the team come july 1st. if half the team is gone then maybe it's a good thing? meaning if we are looking at full rebuild, then you get all you can get.
that 2nd also packaged with nash 1st could maybe jump us in the top 15th 1st at the draft? who knows...
there's still alot of ifs and buts. i do like that murray doesn't have his thumb up is Donkey and is moving and not stagnating. as of now he looks like we have the right guy for the job in the GM chair. i haven't seen him that aggresive since he's been here. i think this might shut a few people up on what he's able to do.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

I have a feeling we'll see Neil on the move as well, now.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

If I'm an Ottawa Senator over the age of 30 I'm getting a real estate agent.

I was never as fond of Kelly as most on this site though I can't argue with a lot of the attributes being pointed out. Still, I think it's a decent deal and a clear sign that this team has recognized that a full rebuild is necessary. As well, you deal from strength and I think they still have five natural centers on their roster.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

CJ_Stevenson‎

Murray: "I'm not trying to trade everybody. This is not a housecleaning...we're retooling the budget, retooling the organization."

Coulda fooled me with this deal, in particular.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:I have a feeling we'll see Neil on the move as well, now.
I think it's only a matter of time for Neil for sure. A 2nd rounder would probably be a real solid return.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
jawal wrote:

My only hope is that what we're doing is acquiring bargaining chips we can us to move up a few spots in the first round, whether on the NSH pick or some other pick. I could handle giving up Fisher & Kelly if it meant we could parlay those 2 picks into a top 10 pick in the first round. Something like that, anyway.

Just throwing a gut feeling out there, but my guess is they're going for Jonathan Huberdeau. On top of our top 3 pick.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Personally I (think) I love it.

Can't have a rebuild without changing the culture in the room, that means getting of most of the so called 'leadership' here.

I love how aggressive BM is, I was worried he wouldn't do what must be done.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:If Kelly were to be an RFA after next year rather than UFA, I would imagine he would not have been dealt.

Good points brought up by you.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ian_mendes Ian Mendes
Murray says "he's not trying to trade everybody." But by striking at the core here, he is sending a significant message.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum