GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

who or how to replace an injured spezza...

+10
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
SensHulk
PTFlea
CockRoche
wprager
stempniaksen
LeCaptain
dennycrane
Flo The Action
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

obviously this isn't news by now but i figured we'd need a topic to follow the sens through the 6 weeks or so that spezza remains out of the line-up.

will Regin grab the number 1 centering role?
will they move up Fisher to the first line?
will BM make a big move? Sarcasm

OTTAWA -- The Ottawa Senators will be without one of their top forwards for several weeks.

Centre Jason Spezza is out indefinitely after suffering a right shoulder injury in Sunday night's 3-1 win over Pittsburgh.

Spezza said it doesn't look like surgery will be required but there is still no timetable for his return.

"We'll just take it day by day and see but it's not going to be any time soon," Spezza said Monday.

He suffered the injury early in the second period after being hit into the boards by Penguins defenceman Kris Letang. Spezza left the ice and did not return to the game.

"I knew something was wrong," Spezza said. "The shoulder didn't feel good and I just knew when I got off the ice that something was pretty bad."

Spezza said he thought the hit was "a little bit dirty." Letang got a two-minute boarding penalty on the play.

"He doesn't have to push me there," Spezza said. "My back is to him the whole time, I'm going for the puck. I think he even realized that he pushed me and he tried to catch me, I think.

"It is what it is and it happens. The league will look at it I'm sure."

There was no immediate word from the NHL on potential discipline.

Spezza, who was hampered by a groin injury earlier this season, has 20 points (nine goals, 11 assists) in 32 games. The Senators (16-17-4) are ninth in the Eastern Conference with 36 points.

"It's been a tough year for me, a tough year for the team," Spezza said. "I'm pretty disappointed with how things have gone. Now for this to happen, I'm definitely frustrated for sure."

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wasn't it last year that the sens wen't on a 10 game winning streak when spezza got his injury?

something to think about... Sarcasm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Give Regin a run at his natural position and bring up Z. Smith to give a presence up front.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

06-07, we need someone who puts the team on his back, playing with Chris Kelly and Daniel Alfredsson. His name is Dany H...
Dung, we're Cussed who or how to replace an injured spezza... 159628

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Can't replace him, hope like hell they don't trade valuable pieces for a plug.

So what's the next step moving forward? Enjoy RNH

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

A variation of what I said in another thread:

Alfie - Regin - Foligno

That's not a top line; it could be a decent second line if everyone plays up to their abilities. And they could play "Who let the dogs out" whenever they're on the ice.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

stempniaksen wrote:Can't replace him, hope like hell they don't trade valuable pieces for a plug.

That's how I feel as well. Hoping for a team effort to step up and replace Spezza's presence is mighty optimistic.

In the estimated 16 games that Spezza will miss, I wouldn't be shocked to see a 5-10-1 record; putting the Sens further behind the playoff picture. Carolina and Florida will most likey pass Ottawa while Spezza rehabs his shoulder.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think Clouston will just make the Fisher - Alfredsson - Foligno the top line by default, with Michalek - Regin - Kovalev as the 2nd line.

I still think Greening gets a look as the replacement for Regin on the 4th line, but Z.Smith wouldn't surprise me either.

SpezDispenser wrote:I think Clouston will just make the Fisher - Alfredsson - Foligno the top line by default, with Michalek - Regin - Kovalev as the 2nd line.

I still think Greening gets a look as the replacement for Regin on the 4th line, but Z.Smith wouldn't surprise me either.

One true top line forward out of 6 guys. We be Cussed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:I think Clouston will just make the Fisher - Alfredsson - Foligno the top line by default, with Michalek - Regin - Kovalev as the 2nd line.

Let's hope that the Michalek - Regin - Kovalev line doesn't miss the mark Sarcasm

They need goals; which of Greening/Smith/O'Brien/Butler gives you that? They also need a center who can win a face off -- Regin started out great in that respect but has done precious little since then. We all know where Fisher is. Foligno? Who knows. All I know is that we *don't* have a center ready in Bingo -- heck, their roster has only three centers in O'Brien, Bass and Locke. Locke is too slow by all accounts, and we've seen Bass here -- nothing more than a 4th liner. So that leaves O'Brien.

O'Brien is doing well in Bingo, 12-13-25 in 32 games and second on the team with +13. I can't find any faceoff stats for the AHL, though.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i wouldn't expect locke to get a shot at the top line but what is it going to take for him to get a call up? i wonder what they promised him when he signed here?
"ok, if spezza, fisher, regin and smith get injured you're a shoe in buddy. and you know that's going to happen, so just put you're name on the dotted line..."
i feel bad for the guy.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:

Let's hope that the Michalek - Regin - Kovalev line doesn't miss the mark Sarcasm

They need goals; which of Greening/Smith/O'Brien/Butler gives you that? They also need a center who can win a face off -- Regin started out great in that respect but has done precious little since then. We all know where Fisher is. Foligno? Who knows. All I know is that we *don't* have a center ready in Bingo -- heck, their roster has only three centers in O'Brien, Bass and Locke. Locke is too slow by all accounts, and we've seen Bass here -- nothing more than a 4th liner. So that leaves O'Brien.

O'Brien is doing well in Bingo, 12-13-25 in 32 games and second on the team with +13. I can't find any faceoff stats for the AHL, though.

He is decent, nothing spectacular IMO. He likes to tie up the opponents stick and use his feet to win draws; not too many clean wins tho' IIRC.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:i wouldn't expect locke to get a shot at the top line but what is it going to take for him to get a call up? i wonder what they promised him when he signed here?
"ok, if spezza, fisher, regin and smith get injured you're a shoe in buddy. and you know that's going to happen, so just put you're name on the dotted line..."
i feel bad for the guy.

Never seen him play myself, but from what we've all heard he is a career AHL player because his size and speed are not for the NHL. He is 5'9" 175, which is small to begin with (St. Louis is one in a million and he's 180 lbs at 5'8") and not very fast. A lethal combination for the NHL.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Zack Smith recalled. Speculations over.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:i wouldn't expect locke to get a shot at the top line but what is it going to take for him to get a call up? i wonder what they promised him when he signed here?
i feel bad for the guy.

Don't feel too bad for him; he makes one of the highest purely AHL salaries in the league. $250,000 is almost unheard of for a player signed to an AHL contract.

Locke knows his role and his limitations; trust me on that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum