GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emery back to NHL?

+4
pgood
smash88
PTFlea
Riprock
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Emery back to NHL? - Page 2 Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:57 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:I just did a lookup of the khl.ru at http://cqcounter.com/whois/. This gave me 89.111.189.140. Typed that into the location bar and got to the site. So it's definitely a DNS lookup problem. I wonder if I can manually add that to some local DNS table.

What location, in Ottawa, are you? I'm out here in Morgan's Grant. I bet we're on different DNS servers.
Rogers has been having DNS issues lately. Last week they had a lot of problems and a lot of sites were inaccessible. Your "local DNS" is your "hosts" file. You can update that if you want to and it will resolve the IP for you. But I'd suggest you try and find out what's going on first.

Are you connected to a router? I'd suggest you give that a power cycle.

I'm on Rogers as well but don't use their DNS. I use OpenDNS.

17Emery back to NHL? - Page 2 Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:01 am

jamvan

Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/2008/10/07/ray_emery_back_in_nhl/

One team has apparently already inquired into his services, though Emery, who is on a two-year deal with an out clause at the end of thsi year, is intent on finishing out this season with Atlant of the KHL.
According to Pierre McGuire this was completely false.

18Emery back to NHL? - Page 2 Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Acrobat

Veteran
Veteran

Shabbs - is OpenDNS as fast as Rogers? I'm on Sympatico, but occ. have the same problem (although not as bad as wprager, from what it sounds).

I was looking at trying to build my hosts file, but it seemed like such a PITA; OpenDNS seems like such an easier option.

19Emery back to NHL? - Page 2 Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="shabbs]Rogers has been having DNS issues lately. Last week they had a lot of problems and a lot of sites were inaccessible. Your "local DNS" is your "hosts" file. You can update that if you want to and it will resolve the IP for you. But I'd suggest you try and find out what's going on first.

Are you connected to a router? I'd suggest you give that a power cycle.

I'm on Rogers as well but don't use their DNS. I use OpenDNS.[/quote]

No, I'm connected straight through to the modem (I've got a wireless router sitting there as well but that's for my laptop -- the desktop is wired to the modem).

Is it fairly obvious how to replace Rogers DNS server with OpenDNS?

20Emery back to NHL? - Page 2 Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:30 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Acrobat wrote:Shabbs - is OpenDNS as fast as Rogers? I'm on Sympatico, but occ. have the same problem (although not as bad as wprager, from what it sounds).

I was looking at trying to build my hosts file, but it seemed like such a PITA; OpenDNS seems like such an easier option.
OpenDNS claim to offer safer and faster DNS services. Give it a spin if ya like. Just change your DNS settings to make use of theirs and try it out.

More info: http://www.opendns.com/

21Emery back to NHL? - Page 2 Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:No, I'm connected straight through to the modem (I've got a wireless router sitting there as well but that's for my laptop -- the desktop is wired to the modem).
That seems like an odd setup. The connections should be Coax cable --> Cable Modem --> Wireless Router --> Computer(s). Your wired computer should be plugged in to your wireless router. Did you set it up that way on purpose? Or did Rogers do that?

wprager wrote:Is it fairly obvious how to replace Rogers DNS server with OpenDNS?
It's a matter of updating your TCP/IP settings to use the OpenDNS servers. They have instructions on their web site:

https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start/

Take a look to get an idea of what needs to be done.

22Emery back to NHL? - Page 2 Empty Re: Emery back to NHL? Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
That seems like an odd setup. The connections should be Coax cable --> Cable Modem --> Wireless Router --> Computer(s). Your wired computer should be plugged in to your wireless router. Did you set it up that way on purpose? Or did Rogers do that?

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that. It is how you said it should be.

shabbs wrote:It's a matter of updating your TCP/IP settings to use the OpenDNS servers. They have instructions on their web site:

https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start/

Take a look to get an idea of what needs to be done.

That's what I thought, but the web page talked about various bells'n'whistles that implied something to download.

It's all set up as I type. Just tried khl.ru and it works. Thanks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum