GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+28
spader
Hockeyhero22000
shabbs
SensGal
Phoenix30
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
The Silfer Server
Flo The Action
Hoags
CockRoche
Tuk Tuk
stempniaksen
Ev
wprager
Straight Shooter
SensGirl11
SensHulk
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
Amnesia021
cash
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
PTFlea
PKC
sens4win
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 38 of 67]

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 38 649241 Party time for them 'Nucks and Cats!

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Souray assigned to Hershey of the AHL (Washington's farm team) - which sucks for Bingo because Hershey was good enough before this.

They can't really trade him as he'd have to clear re-entry first and odds are someone will grab him for half price.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Souray assigned to Hershey of the AHL (Washington's farm team) - which sucks for Bingo because Hershey was good enough before this.

They can't really trade him as he'd have to clear re-entry first and odds are someone will grab him for half price.

At this point, I'm sure they'd just be happy to be rid of him.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

Hoags wrote:

Its not a trade, its a loan. Why he's getting loaned to Hershey instead of playing for Oklahoma, I'm not sure. The only reason I can think of is because Hershey will pay part of his salary. But really, whats 60,000 out of 4.5 mill? Maybe they thought Souray would taint their prospects in OK?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Amnesia021 wrote:

Its not a trade, its a loan. Why he's getting loaned to Hershey instead of playing for Oklahoma, I'm not sure. The only reason I can think of is because Hershey will pay part of his salary. But really, whats 60,000 out of 4.5 mill? Maybe they thought Souray would taint their prospects in OK?

If they don't want him near their prospects on the Oilers I can't imagine they want him near their prospects in OK.

It's a loan but the Oilers still pay his salary. Hershey is the Capitals farm team but they have no rights to him (can't call him up etc.)

If the Oilers now want to trade him to another NHL team now he'd have to clear re-entry waivers at which point he comes at 50% salary.

Hard to trade him to team A if team B grabs him off re-call waivers first.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I was just saying that the return for Ottawa sucks. Don't use Heatley not being here as a return. He's still a much better player than Michalek, don't deny that. Michalek might be younger, might be grittier, but he's also got some serious health issues. His knees won't be able to take too much wear and tear, don't kid yourselves.

The Sharks got rid of a $3M waste of roster space, which Ottawa took and then bought out. SJ could have done that. Now that player's on an AHL tryout. Had SJ waived Cheechoo, they'd be paying him $3M. Now they are paying him AHL salary, while Ottawa pays him $1M? Dow do you not see the problem with that. The Senators are paying him more than the team he's on.

I'm still not arguing that keeping Heatley was a better option, but there's no way I am saying that we got the best deal, or even a great deal in return.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:
I'm still not arguing that keeping Heatley was a better option, but there's no way I am saying that we got the best deal, or even a great deal in return.

We didn't get a good deal but there's no way we could have a good deal in that scenario. Heatley's trade request was leaked and he had an NTC. Murray held out and got the best he could.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I was just saying that the return for Ottawa sucks. Don't use Heatley not being here as a return. He's still a much better player than Michalek, don't deny that. Michalek might be younger, might be grittier, but he's also got some serious health issues. His knees won't be able to take too much wear and tear, don't kid yourselves.

The Sharks got rid of a $3M waste of roster space, which Ottawa took and then bought out. SJ could have done that. Now that player's on an AHL tryout. Had SJ waived Cheechoo, they'd be paying him $3M. Now they are paying him AHL salary, while Ottawa pays him $1M? Dow do you not see the problem with that. The Senators are paying him more than the team he's on.

I agree Dash. We got an ok deal, but really didn't have a choice. It's one thing to recognize that the Sens were in a really tough situation and basically got the short end of the stick. Quite another if you're suggesting that BM could have gotten a better return.

Personally, I like 9MM (as I'm sure you do too Dash). 9MM for Heatley is obviously a bad deal, but we were in a Dung spot and BM got what he could.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Oh...p.s.

Did you folks see Heatley speaking German on nhl.com? He really came off as a prick.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:Oh...p.s.

Did you folks see Heatley speaking German on nhl.com? He really came off as a prick.

Well at least he's honest in one language.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

The part that I really dislike is having to take on Cheechoo and eventually buying him out.

We had young guys that could have had his spot all year, and we wouldn't have that $1M on the hooks.

If Michalek can stay healthy and his knees don't blow out in a few years, he will be a good top 6 for us, but I really do not expect him to put up Heatley goals.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:Oh...p.s.

How do you say "I'm Dany ****in' Heatley" in German?

Google, it's all up to you.

Google failed me:

Google translation services wrote:Ich bin Dany Heatley Cussing

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:The part that I really dislike is having to take on Cheechoo and eventually buying him out.

We had young guys that could have had his spot all year, and we wouldn't have that $1M on the hooks.

If Michalek can stay healthy and his knees don't blow out in a few years, he will be a good top 6 for us, but I really do not expect him to put up Heatley goals.

Neither do I. I think we tend to focus too much on numbers. No, Michalek will never score Heatley numbers. That doesn't mean that we didn't get the best deal possible. I don't look at 9MM as Heatley's replacement. By forgetting that 9MM came over in the Heatley trade, I'm free to appreciate him as a player rather than wishing he measured up better against Heatley.

Particularly in the salary cap era, numbers only tell part of the story. I'm pleased with the return BM got in the trade, if only because he was so handcuffed by that little Wing Dang Doodle.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michalek kills penalties (and well) which takes some pressure off Alfredsson. Not that it helped all that much last year, since Alfie was injured himself, but if this helps the Cap'n stay fresh and healthy for the playoffs it could be worth much more than an extra 10-15 goals sprinkled throughout the regular season. How many of those goals would be difference makers anyway?

Sophomore
Sophomore

I know it's hard to swallow but sometimes the best deal is to get rid of the great player who is a major distraction/problem.

You get a good player back but, more importantly, you become a Team again. Heatley had to go to clear the air, refresh the room, and move forward together as one. It takes a team to win a cup and I feel we have this now more than we have had in the past 4-5 years.

Let me put it this way, I wouldn't take Heatley back now for Michalek and 1 million cap space. Would you????

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Price may not play in the season opener against the Leafs. A new strain of Blue Flu?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336477

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

111519 wrote:I know it's hard to swallow but sometimes the best deal is to get rid of the great player who is a major distraction/problem.

You get a good player back but, more importantly, you become a Team again. Heatley had to go to clear the air, refresh the room, and move forward together as one. It takes a team to win a cup and I feel we have this now more than we have had in the past 4-5 years.

Let me put it this way, I wouldn't take Heatley back now for Michalek and 1 million cap space. Would you????

Yeah, this feels like more of a unit.

So...Michalek and 1 million in cap space for Heatley... Thinking Wow...tough one - and I HATE Heatley.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

We win that by a country mile.

You think Heatley looks bad now, imagine in the last year of that contract when he has even less speed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 38 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum