GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Luongo contract could be void on Friday: Report

+2
PKC
canucklehead96
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

canucklehead96

canucklehead96
Prospect
Prospect

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Luongo+contract+could+void+Friday/3471905/story.html

The NHL could move to void Roberto Luongo's contract as soon as Friday, a report revealed late Wednesday.

The NHL and the NHLPA appear on a collision course over Ilya Kovalchuk's latest deal and Luongo's contract is being offered up as collateral damage.

The New Jersey Devils, the league and players' union moved Wednesday's deadline — to agree to or reject Kovalchuk's $100-million, 15-year deal — to Friday. The NHL extended the deadline because it is negotiating with the NHLPA in an effort to close a gaping hole in the CBA which has allowed teams to circumvent the spirit of the salary cap with front-loaded, long-term contracts.

For now, the NHL says it will only register the Kovalchuk deal if the union agrees to some unpalatable demands which change CBA rules. If the demands aren't met, the league is threatening to reject Kovalchuk's deal, de-register Luongo's 12-year, $64 million contract and formally investigate Marian Hossa's.

The Luongo and Hossa contracts are the only two mentioned — along with Kovalchuk's proposed deal — even though the NHL has 11 long-term deals which end with the player making $2 million or less. Luongo's deal does not begin until this season starts.

Two of the NHL's demands regarding Kovalchuk were reported late Wednesday.

In the first, the league would no longer use the years after the player is 40 years old to calculate the average cap hit on long-term deals. It would mean the contract years after a player is 40 years old would essentially be lopped off when calculating the average cap hit.

This would be a big concession for the players.

The second demand has some negotiating wiggle room. The NHL wants a new formula which would increase the cap hit on long-term deals during the five years the player is paid the most in salary.

The NHL has already been negotiating with NHLPA advisor Donald Fehr working toward a settlement. There has already been speculation Friday's deadline could be extended so the two sides can work out a deal. To get it done, both sides would have to make some concessions.

If they do, Luongo's deal and others, including Kovalchuk's, will be grandfathered in.

If they can't, Luongo's deal could then be voided. The Canucks have long understood this was a possibility.

Before the Luongo deal was signed, the NHL advised Vancouver to take two years off of the negotiated term, making the deal a decade long. The Canucks chose to keep it a 12-year deal and the NHL only conditionally accepted the contract.

As part of the condition, the Canucks were investigated by a third party law firm. Both GM Mike Gillis and assistant GM Laurence Gilman were questioned for several hours in an effort to determine whether the deal was negotiated in good faith.

If the league had found any wrongdoing, it would have likely acted on it by now.

If the contract is de-registered, the NHLPA can grieve the decision. The Canucks would not have standing in an arbitration hearing, but believe the case for Luongo is much stronger than the one for Kovalchuk's 17-year, $102-million deal which was rejected by the league.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch sided with the league in the subsequent Kovalchuk hearing.

There are a couple of key differences in Luongo's deal. He averages $1.2 million during the last 3 years where Kovalchuk was making less than $1 million.

True, it's nowhere near the $10 million he makes now. But Marty Turco will make $1.3 million this year. Last year, he earned $5.7 million. In the final three years of his career, Dominik Hasek averaged $1.4 million after averaging $7.7 million in the five previous years.

Luongo also does not have a no-movement clause, something Kovalchuk's deal had for the first 12 years. In the final five years of his deal, Kovalchuk's no-movement shifted to a no-trade and that shift was seen as an escape clause by Bloch.

Even if Luongo is a better case, can the NHLPA stomach going into another arbitration hearing where it would risk another embarrassing loss?

Finally, even if all of these what-ifs happened, Canucks fans should not be hovering over the panic button. The Canucks would just be in a position where they would have to re-negotiate Luongo's deal

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Luongo+contract+could+void+Friday/3471905/story.html#ixzz0yOp6FH2U

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

They'd have to re-negotiate to the $8.5+ million cap hit it should be.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That's insane though, we're talking about a contract that's already been rubber stamped by the NHL. Luongo's contract should never have been allowed to go through in the first place if the NHL planned on cussing around with it now.

Canucklehead, how do you feel about this? Are you super-pissed, or does this not bother you? I'd be very upset if this was an Ottawa Senator personally.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:That's insane though, we're talking about a contract that's already been rubber stamped by the NHL. Luongo's contract should never have been allowed to go through in the first place if the NHL planned on cussing around with it now.

Canucklehead, how do you feel about this? Are you super-pissed, or does this not bother you? I'd be very upset if this was an Ottawa Senator personally.

It's been stamped, but it doesn't take effect until next year. I think the NHL really didn't like the circumvention but didn't have enough legs to stand on to revoke it. With the Kovalchuk thing happening, they've established a precedent they can refer to.

I hope the Raptors or Jays improve next year, because I'm gonna need something to watch during the next NHL lockout.

canucklehead96

canucklehead96
Prospect
Prospect

SpezDispenser wrote:That's insane though, we're talking about a contract that's already been rubber stamped by the NHL. Luongo's contract should never have been allowed to go through in the first place if the NHL planned on cussing around with it now.

I have mixed feelings about it because im not a huge fan of Luongo but I dont want the Canucks to have to resign him for a ridiculous cap hit but if the canucks can get a better deal then before it could be good unless they dont resign him and get someone else but i highly doubt that will happen

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

@Canuckle - Gillis will be able to pled his case 10 times better than Lou. Same with Bowman - by accepting the deal, you allowed the clubs to go ahead and make changes to their respective teams - including adding major salary. I don't see there being much of an issue - unless the NHL told them at the time to be prepped for some investigation. Still...I said there would be no issues for the Devils and Kovalchuk and I was wrong about that for sure.

@PKC - I 100% hear what you're saying. I think it might be time to start seriously prepping for a lockout - especially with Fehr at the helm of the NHLPA.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Luongo contract could be void on Friday: Report   821277 I won't accept another lockout! Luongo contract could be void on Friday: Report   533719

Luongo contract could be void on Friday: Report   441415 LOCKOUT Luongo contract could be void on Friday: Report   233319

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
@PKC - I 100% hear what you're saying. I think it might be time to start seriously prepping for a lockout - especially with Fehr at the helm of the NHLPA.

If Fehr is really in then I'd expect a lockout for sure Facepalm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

The NHL needed to act on this when it began, with the Hossa contract. This belated response looks bad, PR-wise.

I agree totally with what's happening -- that is, these contract violate the spirit of the CBA, and shouldn't have ever been allowed -- but the NHL had the chance to do something with Hossa's deal and didn't nip it in the bud when it happened, and that's on them for failing to do so. All NJ/Kovalchuk did was logically to extend the premises of the Hossa deal, which the NHL approved previously. Can't really blame them for trying.

The NHL didn't create this mess, but they are at fault for not dealing with it as soon as it arose. It would have been better to piss off one team, one player, and one agent, and have it settled then, than to let it fester, allow GMs and agents to extend logically the principles of the Hossa deal to get the deals for the Luongos and Prongers and Savards, and now be in a position to piss off multiple teams, players, agents, etc.

The NHL has a knack for Cussing things up. How does Bettman keep his job through all this?

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:The NHL needed to act on this when it began, with the Hossa contract. This belated response looks bad, PR-wise.

I agree totally with what's happening -- that is, these contract violate the spirit of the CBA, and shouldn't have ever been allowed -- but the NHL had the chance to do something with Hossa's deal and didn't nip it in the bud when it happened, and that's on them for failing to do so. All NJ/Kovalchuk did was logically to extend the premises of the Hossa deal, which the NHL approved previously. Can't really blame them for trying.

The NHL didn't create this mess, but they are at fault for not dealing with it as soon as it arose. It would have been better to piss off one team, one player, and one agent, and have it settled then, than to let it fester, allow GMs and agents to extend logically the principles of the Hossa deal to get the deals for the Luongos and Prongers and Savards, and now be in a position to piss off multiple teams, players, agents, etc.

The NHL has a knack for Cussing things up. How does Bettman keep his job through all this?

To be fair it started quite a long while ago, with the Rick DiPietro signing. Although the GM didn't use the length of contract to his advantage, he did open up the eyes of other GMs to the loophole.

To be honest, the easiest solution to this whole mess is to limit the length of contract that can be given according to seniority. Sort of like the NBA has. Not only does it close this loophole of adding on years and reducing cap hit, but it also keeps teams from locking up superstar players for the duration of their playing career and gives other teams a chance at leveling the playing field, ie. parity.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:The NHL needed to act on this when it began, with the Hossa contract. This belated response looks bad, PR-wise.

To be fair it started quite a long while ago, with the Rick DiPietro signing. Although the GM didn't use the length of contract to his advantage, he did open up the eyes of other GMs to the loophole.

To be honest, the easiest solution to this whole mess is to limit the length of contract that can be given according to seniority. Sort of like the NBA has. Not only does it close this loophole of adding on years and reducing cap hit, but it also keeps teams from locking up superstar players for the duration of their playing career and gives other teams a chance at leveling the playing field, ie. parity.

I'm not sure I buy that, re: DiPietro. That deal might have allowed for a slightly lower cap hit than might have been expected (even that's debateable), but it had none of the stink of these 40+ contracts.

The NHL didn't need to stomp out the DiPietro deal (though I'm guessing the NYI are wishing they had) -- they needed to stomp out the Hossa deal. That's where it all came together -- a deal that extended past 40 years of age; a deal with multiple 'cheap' years tagged on that reduced the cap hit, and that clearly give the player no incentive to play them; a deal that paid 90% of the promised money up front, and opened up the possibility of the player retiring, leaving those crumbs on the table, all with no negative cap consequences for the team. These things are the root of the problem.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum