GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Luongo contract now under investigation: reports

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Ah, the joys of trying to keep up with the soap opera that is the National Hockey League. Now comes word that Roberto Luongo's contract is being investigated.

From The Hockey News via Greg 'Puck Daddy' Wyshysnki at Yahoo Sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Hey-remember-that-NHL-investigation-into-long-t?urn=nhl,191286

LUONGO DEAL ALSO UNDER INVESTIGATION
THN.com has learned that, along with the contracts of Marian Hossa of the Chicago Blackhawks and Chris Pronger of the Philadelphia Flyers, Roberto Luongo’s long-term contract extension with the Vancouver Canucks is under investigation to determine whether or not it circumvents the collective bargaining agreement.

The Hossa, Pronger and Luongo contracts are the only ones under investigation, but nothing has been determined on any of them yet.

All three deals were frontloaded and would provide the team with salary cap relief in the form of a lower cap hit and, in the case of Hossa and Luongo, no cap hit at all if they retire in the latter years of the deals.

---

Nucks blogger Tom Benjamin is now irritated that the NHL chooses to do any sort of investigation at all.

http://canuckscorner.com/tombenjamin/?p=1329

From his blog:

Oh, please. The length and structure of the Luongo contract is clearly a way to get around the salary cap. I don’t like the fact that the loophole exists – a Gary Bettman design flaw – but it doesn’t matter whether I like it or not. The Luongo contract may circumvent the salary cap, but it does not circumvent the collective bargaining agreement.

An investigation is pointless. If the league wants to close this loophole – and they should want to close this loophole – they should talk to the NHLPA. They can’t do anything about Luongo’s contract.

This smiley pretty much sums up the whole situation.
Luongo contract now under investigation: reports 639591

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Don't they have to? I mean, investigate one... investigate them all... if the NHL wants to look like they are consistently applying the rules...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! I can't believe I just said NHL and consistent together when talking about applying rules.

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

Oh no an investigation, this will surely stop teams from during this next July 1st. Sarcasm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Don't they have to? I mean, investigate one... investigate them all... if the NHL wants to look like they are consistently applying the rules...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! I can't believe I just said NHL and consistent together when talking about applying rules.

And who investigates the investigators?
Luongo contract now under investigation: reports 78253

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:Don't they have to? I mean, investigate one... investigate them all... if the NHL wants to look like they are consistently applying the rules...

And who investigates the investigators?
Luongo contract now under investigation: reports 78253
Internal affairs...

Wink

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:

Nucks blogger Tom Benjamin is now irritated that the NHL chooses to do any sort of investigation at all.

From his blog:

Oh, please. The length and structure of the Luongo contract is clearly a way to get around the salary cap. I don’t like the fact that the loophole exists – a Gary Bettman design flaw – but it doesn’t matter whether I like it or not. The Luongo contract may circumvent the salary cap, but it does not circumvent the collective bargaining agreement.

An investigation is pointless. If the league wants to close this loophole – and they should want to close this loophole – they should talk to the NHLPA. They can’t do anything about Luongo’s contract.

Um, isn't the salary cap outlined in the CBA? If that's the case, then this blogger is an idiot. If you circumvent a portion of the CBA, then you circumvent the CBA. Thanks for coming out though.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case the "thanks for coming out" line applies to me.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:
davetherave wrote:

From his blog:

Um, isn't the salary cap outlined in the CBA? If that's the case, then this blogger is an idiot. If you circumvent a portion of the CBA, then you circumvent the CBA. Thanks for coming out though.

I believe Mr Benjamin uses a program called 'Nucklogic' to help him in his blogificating...but you can always look up the CBA if you want to check up on his due diligence.
Luongo contract now under investigation: reports Icon_wink

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
spader wrote:
davetherave wrote:

From his blog:

I believe Mr Benjamin uses a program called 'Nucklogic' to help him in his blogificating...but you can always look up the CBA if you want to check up on his due diligence.
Luongo contract now under investigation: reports Icon_wink

I'm confident enough that it is the case. I can't imagine how the salary cap issue was decided but not actually written into the CBA. I'd bet big, necessary-for-survival dollars that I'm right.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

man I can't believe you said that either, did you keep a straight face when you typed it? Luongo contract now under investigation: reports 668437

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum