GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chris phillips career sen or huge loss at FA

+7
Amnesia021
Flo The Action
Hoags
PTFlea
Riprock
top shelf15
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

dennycrane

Veteran
Veteran

This will get done in late August or early September. Arbitration is the priority at this point.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
111519 wrote:why in the world would you give a 33 year old defencemen an 8 year deal?

how about a 5 year, 5mil,4mil,3mil,2mil,1mil=3 million per cap hit.

I would certainly pay phillips 5 million when he is 34 but am more comfortable paying him 2 million when he is 37.

Lower the cap hit, dude. Pretty simple.
How low would you go on an 8-year deal?

I dunno, something like $2.5 mil?

$5 mil, $ 5 mil, $4 mil, $3 mil, $2 mil, $1 mil, $750K, $750K

= $21.5 / 8 = $2.7 mil cap hit.

Looks beauty to me. Is it enough for Phillips, tho'?

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think you need to get it up to 3 or 3.2 to get Phillips to sign on the dotted line. I like the figure you're bringing in though because it'll start the process. We'll offer 2.7, he'll counter with 3.5 and we'll work to the middle ground.

I'm not worried at all, I think Phillips is here to stay for the next 8 years.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:I think you need to get it up to 3 or 3.2 to get Phillips to sign on the dotted line. I like the figure you're bringing in though because it'll start the process. We'll offer 2.7, he'll counter with 3.5 and we'll work to the middle ground.

I'd be happy if he countered with 3.5, but i could see his camp countering with 4 or more. As many of us have said and seen, he made Volchenkov what he is. Agents also, obviously, tend to over value their clients. They high ball much like teams low-ball. I doubt they start with a number that they see as 'fair', more like one that they hope will drive the 'compromised number' up. I believe the hometown discount will come later in the negotiation when they are not that far off.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I think you need to get it up to 3 or 3.2 to get Phillips to sign on the dotted line. I like the figure you're bringing in though because it'll start the process. We'll offer 2.7, he'll counter with 3.5 and we'll work to the middle ground.

I'd be happy if he countered with 3.5, but i could see his camp countering with 4 or more. As many of us have said and seen, he made Volchenkov what he is. Agents also, obviously, tend to over value their clients. They high ball much like teams low-ball. I doubt they start with a number that they see as 'fair', more like one that they hope will drive the 'compromised number' up. I believe the hometown discount will come later in the negotiation when they are not that far off.

4 million - or 3.75 - on a 4 or 5 year term, or 24 million guaranteed for 8 years. It's basically up to Philly, but we need every penny of cap space going forward - and I actually think Philly not only loves it here, but he also desperately wants to win.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

If you read that article about him wanting to stay you get the sense that money isn't that important to him as as long as he is happy and his family's happy, and the Sens are happy. He knows he can live quite comfortably on what he will get paid.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

4 million - or 3.75 - on a 4 or 5 year term, or 24 million guaranteed for 8 years. It's basically up to Philly, but we need every penny of cap space going forward - and I actually think Philly not only loves it here, but he also desperately wants to win.

I love the guy, and he's worth every penny of his current contract, even if each penny were worth 1.5 cents. The guy is one of the great underrated players in this league, and I'm ok with that. I've never had a player on my jersey, but have long thought about a Phillips one. I'm a big supporter of the underrated, unsung hero, so maybe it's time I put Phillips on one of my jerseys.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, Dr. Poo's initial 8-year is a good starting point... we'll see what happens. I'd be happy to see him a Senator-for-life for sure.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:

Yeah, Dr. Poo's initial 8-year is a good starting point... we'll see what happens. I'd be happy to see him a Senator-for-life for sure.

Sure, we can credit Rooney with that one, yeah. A lot of us have been saying this since last summer though.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Sure, we can credit Rooney with that one, yeah. A lot of us have been saying this since last summer though.
Facepalm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Facepalm

What....we've all been talking about this for...about a calender year I would guess. Facepalm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
111519 wrote:why in the world would you give a 33 year old defencemen an 8 year deal?

how about a 5 year, 5mil,4mil,3mil,2mil,1mil=3 million per cap hit.

I would certainly pay phillips 5 million when he is 34 but am more comfortable paying him 2 million when he is 37.

Lower the cap hit, dude. Pretty simple.
How low would you go on an 8-year deal?

I dunno, something like $2.5 mil?

$5 mil, $ 5 mil, $4 mil, $3 mil, $2 mil, $1 mil, $750K, $750K

= $21.5 / 8 = $2.7 mil cap hit.

Looks beauty to me. Is it enough for Phillips, tho'?

I like it. I originally guessed somewhere between $3-$4 since he is sitting at $3.5, but it makes more sense that he might see a decrease since he got his big contract at the "prime" of his career. I think he will do the right thing for his family and the team. He can live comfortably with the money he has made and will make, and he will surely always have a job in the NHL and with Ottawa should he choose to, and he will want the team to save money to remain competitive by spending money elsewhere.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Facepalm

What....we've all been talking about this for...about a calender year I would guess. Facepalm
I was liking the numbers specifically... we've all been lobbing the idea of a long term contract for Big Rig for some time...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
I was liking the numbers specifically... we've all been lobbing the idea of a long term contract for Big Rig for some time...

Sorry, I see that now. Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum