GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sharks sign CHI's Hjalmarsson to offer sheet

+12
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
rooneypoo
shabbs
wprager
SeawaySensFan
PKC
CockRoche
PTFlea
Ev
SensGirl11
Riprock
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Bowman's gonna match it, as per everyone on twitter.

Bye bye Campbell then for sure. Where before there might have been a chance to keep him, there won't be anymore.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

# My ESPNChicago colleague Jesse Rogers believes Patrick Sharp could be in play as well now and he's much more easily moveable... We'll see

With Hawks deciding to match Hjalmarsson offer, source said today Brian Campbell being shopped. Have hard time seeing that contract moved

And sure enough, this comes from LeBrun's Twitter.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Some are saying that Sharp may be shopped instead. Who knows at this point.

Insert "Sharp to the Sens" comment here.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Some are saying that Sharp may be shopped instead. Who knows at this point.

Insert "Sharp to the Sens" comment here.

Him or Bolland is being shopped if you believe twitter people who probably don't know what they're talking about.

I'd love Sharpie here, love it. I'd give up...enough...to make it happen.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Man... Chi should just take the compensation and worry about their remaining cap issues... matching puts them back into cap hell.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Man... Chi should just take the compensation and worry about their remaining cap issues... matching puts them back into cap hell.

Back
into cap hell? Laugh1

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:Man... Chi should just take the compensation and worry about their remaining cap issues... matching puts them back into cap hell.

Back
into cap hell? Laugh1
Heh. Yeah, they never really got out of it, but were on the way...

Wink

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
I am looking at things a bit differently than you I guess here.

In my opinion, if I were making decisions for the Blackhawks, I would most likely match the offer sheet to Hjalmarsson.

Here's my reasoning and thought process.

Try to get Niemi signed if you can to a contract in the 1.5 to 2 million range. If you can't get him under contract you are at the mercy of his arbitration hearing where if the award is too high, you have to let him walk.

Chicago has goaltender Corey Crawford waiting in thw wings and some feel is already a better goalie than Niemi anyway.

I don't think Niemi wants to play in Chicago, so let's say he is as good as gone as I don't think a contract will be signed prior to arbitration either. Once the hearing is over, the Stanley Cup ring may ensure Niemi gets a raise to steep for Chicago's cap nightmare.

So, I have Hjalmarsson to solidify my Top 4 D and Crawford as tender. Way better in my mind to have that scenario than to have Niemi in net with #4, 5, and 6 defenseman by the names of John Scott, Jordan Hendry and Brian Connelly.

To me this decision is:
a solid Top 4 D and a rookie goalie
versus/or
only 3 D and Niemi in the pipes.

I choose the deeper D.

Depending on what you do with Hjarl, you can sign a solid defender for 2.5 million tops. A Sutton type guy who can provide some nice defense and a big body back there - and won't need more than a 2 year deal. Or you can come out of it with a 1st and a 3rd and make a trade for a sturdy defender.

3.5 might be worth it down the road, but I think that's a hefty price for him right now. I'm not sure what to think though, some Chicago fans love him, some are so-so on him.

Looks like Chicago and I were on the same page as they did match the San Jose offer sheet. My scenario is playing out so far.

Next up is dealing with Niemi. If they sign him, Huet is gone to etiher the minors or a trade for a player who is either cap friendly or getting shipped to the minors himself.

Also, depending on the size of Niemi's contract, if they do sign him, now you have to say goodbye to Sharp.

I like the way Chicago is doing this so far. They keep taking things slowly and deciding on player versus player and the big picture as well.

In my mind, their decision is Niemi versus Sharp right now.

Sharp wins, because Crawford can do most of what Niemi can to a lesser extent.

We will see what happens.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, I'd make a move for one of the UFA goalies - like Turco - I'm not a fan of Turco at all, but if he can play another year or 2, it'll be in Chicago.

I'd EASILY let Niemi go before Sharp or Bolland. I love those two guys, what great strength down the middle.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Bowman's gonna match it, as per everyone on twitter.

Bye bye Campbell then for sure. Where before there might have been a chance to keep him, there won't be anymore.

I don't know about that. That kind of contract can't really be moved. They may not even want to move it as they love their Top 4 D. Yeah, they eat up a lot of cap space, but they spit out the same amount of opposing forwards.

You have to remember the reason they matched the offer sheet on Hjalmarsson was to stabilize their 4 D. Getting rid of Campbell now, brings them down to 3.

Also, give props to San Jose for recognizing the situation in one of their main rivals and forcing Chicago into losing another piece. Niemi, Sharp, Campbell, Bolland, one will have to go now as well.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

HEard on the radio, don't remember which station but they said Chi is shopping Campbell.
After matching the offer sheet for Hjalmarsson. It's pretty clear they are ready to either bury Huet in the Minors or buy him out.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:HEard on the radio, don't remember which station but they said Chi is shopping Campbell.
After matching the offer sheet for Hjalmarsson. It's pretty clear they are ready to either bury Huet in the Minors or buy him out.

i think it's clear it's either minors for huet or europe. too bad cuz at half that price tag he can be a decent goalie at time.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder who's gonna take Campbell at that Titanic-sized salary cap hit.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:I wonder who's gonna take Campbell at that Titanic-sized salary cap hit.
i think the biggest problem with campbell is which team he's willing to waive to go to...
could theCBJ be interested? they need a D-man of his caliber. would he want to go there? i doubt it...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, I'd make a move for one of the UFA goalies - like Turco - I'm not a fan of Turco at all, but if he can play another year or 2, it'll be in Chicago.

I'd EASILY let Niemi go before Sharp or Bolland. I love those two guys, what great strength down the middle.

Someone will pay for Niemi. I agree with you. Let Niemi walk if he wants too much money. He was okay to good this year from what I saw. His cup ring as a starter will drive his price up and good for him but he's not worth it IMO.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
Hoags wrote:I wonder who's gonna take Campbell at that Titanic-sized salary cap hit.
i think the biggest problem with campbell is which team he's willing to waive to go to...
could theCBJ be interested? they need a D-man of his caliber. would he want to go there? i doubt it...

They have an internal cap that would prevent that from happening. They could have had Souray for nothing and they didn't do it, so I doubt they even entertain the notion of Campbell.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Islanders could use Campbell to get the cap floor since they won't land Kovalchuk but I doubt he'd go there.

Unless they threaten him with waivers like Boyle.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, I'd make a move for one of the UFA goalies - like Turco - I'm not a fan of Turco at all, but if he can play another year or 2, it'll be in Chicago.

Someone will pay for Niemi. I agree with you. Let Niemi walk if he wants too much money. He was okay to good this year from what I saw. His cup ring as a starter will drive his price up and good for him but he's not worth it IMO.

I remember a few goalies who took their teams to the Finals and got rewarded with a nice, fat paycheck. Two of them played for Ottawa recently. Neither one is in the NHL right now.

The Hawks would kill for an offersheet right about now. Niemi didn't win them the Cup (wait, is Neely around?)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum