GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking Back- Cowen or MPS?

+11
Flo The Action
LeCaptain
Phoenix30
wprager
PTFlea
stempniaksen
dennycrane
SDH89
Riprock
Tuk Tuk
Ev
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:07 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'd rather have Cowen 100%.

Last edited by Big Ev on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

2Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

We also havent seen anything of MPS in the NHL. Too early to tell

3Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

LOL, I remember when I did this for Karlsson vs. Eberle. I am happy how Kalrsson turned out.

I think a lot of us here wanted MPS, but Cowen was at one time a top 5 pick, but the injury caused him to drop. MPS would help us a lot upfront where we need the help, and on the other hand Cowen could be a very good player on the blueline, which is also a good thing. Cowen's at least played a game in the NHL, MPS has not. Should be an Oiler next year though.

4Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:37 pm

MPS... sorry Cowen but I have a soft spot for Swedish forwards.

5Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:56 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

I remember the Stars passing on MPS for Glennie and jumping around the living room because I knew we were about to draft him. I was absolutely devastated when we drafted Cowen because I had my hopes up for MPS. Over time I've grown to understand the decision and both will be great players in this league. Cowen is a major piece going forward and is a piece that will make our blueline very tough to play against in a couple years time.

6Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:08 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Murray made the right choice and I think at least a couple of GM's will regret their choices in the near future.

7Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:30 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Cowen for two reasons.

1) I had a mancrush on Cowen going into the draft.
2) I was, and still am, convinced that MPS is overrated.

8Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cowen. Big, mobile D-men are hard to find.

9Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tuk Tuk wrote:We also havent seen anything of MPS in the NHL. Too early to tell

Yep. Way too early. Neither Kalrsson, nor Wiercioch is a shutdown guy, so they needed to start developing a new Phillips. We have lots of forwards in the system and, frankly, there is nothing that says MPS will be any better than Regin or Silfverberg, or one of the others. Cowen is a *big* mobile defenseman, and those are much more difficult to get in a trade.

10Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's weird though...for how good Phillips is at his role, you would never see a guy like him being picked #1 overall these days.

11Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:It's weird though...for how good Phillips is at his role, you would never see a guy like him being picked #1 overall these days.

Phillips had great stats in the WHL IIRC

12Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:59 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So, did they think he would be an offensive defenseman?

13Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

No, but a mobile defensemen, who's excellent in his own, has a scoring touch, and who plays his best in the playoffs, is definitely a good candidate for 1st overall.

14Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:27 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I am happy with the decision. I was hoping that Murray would have found a way to get another 1st to get some offensive depth but hey there is always this year. Now we just need to get some blazing speed for the wings.

15Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Empty Re: Looking Back- Cowen or MPS? Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:28 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:It's weird though...for how good Phillips is at his role, you would never see a guy like him being picked #1 overall these days.

No offense to Big Rig, but that was a particularly weak draft year. Look at the rest of the top-10:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_NHL_Entry_Draft

2 Andrei Zyuzin
3 Jean-Pierre Dumont
4 Alexandre Volchkov
5 Ric Jackman
6 Boyd Devereaux
7 Erik Rasmussen
8 Johnathan Aitken
9 Ruslan Salei
10 Lance Ward

Zubrus at 15 would not challenge Phillips 15 years later, Briere at 24, maybe.

There was this tall, skinny kid named Zdeno at 56; he turned out pretty good Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum