GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach

+3
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:38 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Let the fun begin for Clouston. Can he handle the pressure of the playoffs? I think he can. What a great series it is going to be with 2 young coaches behind the bench. One that already has a ring and another trying to win his first and the 1st for the modern day Sens.

We shall see what this year will bring. We can all dream! Smile

Cory Clouston needs to look no further than the next bench — and who is standing behind it — for a reminder that dreams do come true.

Like Clouston, Pittsburgh’s Dan Bylsma was coaching in the AHL at the start of last season. Eight months later, he was winning the Stanley Cup.

“Dan’s done a great job there,” Clouston said after Monday’s practice, two days before his Senators begin their attempt at dethroning the champs. “He’s a perfect example of what you can do, as long as you’re prepared and you have your players put in the right situations, and as long as they’re prepared as well.”

Clouston may have his shortcomings, but he’s nothing if not dedicated to detail. You can bet that he’s more than prepared for his first NHL playoff experience. It’s impossible to guess how many times he has studied game tape of the Penguins, but nothing near the top of the Nielsen ratings has been watched closer.

Clouston isn’t the beer-drinking, story-telling type. He’s more apt to order room service than check out the best restaurants in the big cities the Senators visit on the road. He probably doesn’t spend a lot of time talking to his players about their personal lives, either, and nothing he says in post-practice or game press conferences is likely to make headlines, if he gets quoted at all.

But when it comes to knowing the game and knowing how to coach, he’s obviously very good. The question, however, is how will Clouston handle his first experience coaching in the NHL playoffs.

“He’s done it at different levels, he’s gone through the process,” said Senators GM Bryan Murray. “Cory will have a good plan. That’s his strength, I think. Breaking down tape, understanding the strengths and weakness of his players, as well as the other players and letting the players know what they have to do.”

Murray has coached in the NHL playoffs 12 times, finally making it to the championship series as Ottawa’s bench boss in 2007-08. And it wasn’t because he had so many kicks at the can before it that he reached the final.

“Every time you go into a playoff series, you’re nervous,” he said. “It doesn’t matter if it’s your 30th year or your first. You want to make sure your players are prepared. You put stress on yourself to make sure you put in the time and effort, to give them the proper information, then you let them go play.

“The biggest thing in coaching is you try to make sure you put players in a good position. When the game starts, it’s another game. For the players it’s the same thing. Experience is important, but we’ve seen lots of times where players without a lot of experience have really excelled with the pressure.”

He doesn’t expect Clouston to coach nervously.

“When the game starts, you’re not nervous any more. You’re just focused,” Murray said. “You get ready for the series, you’re a little antsy the night before waiting, you think about it maybe too much, guys get out for the warm up and you’ve talked to them, you’ve planned, you’ve had your meetings, then you just coach.

“You don’t stand behind the bench trembling. You just let them play. You give them the right direction beforehand, you make a call or two, and basically that’s it.”

Clouston says he’s excited to get started and he’s not at all concerned about his lack of post-season experience in the NHL.

“Pressure? Nervousness? Not necessarily,” he said. “We feel we’re prepared. We know what we have to do. We know what we can expect from Pittsburgh. We knew we were going to have to go through them eventually. It just happens to be in the first round.

“Every level is different. Every level prepares you for the next level. I’ve been in situations at the Memorial Cup, not as a head coach but as an assistant, I’ve coached Team Canada in the past, we had some pretty good success in Kootenay, so again, as long as you’re prepared before the game, as long as you know what you need to do, as long as the players know what they need to do, then it just becomes in-game management and that’s really no different from a regular-season game.”

Clouston is a well-prepared coach. It’s time to see if that really is all he needs to be in the NHL playoffs.

By DON BRENNAN, Ottawa Sun

2Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:41 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:Let the fun begin for Clouston. Can he handle the pressure of the playoffs? I think he can. What a great series it is going to be with 2 young coaches behind the bench. One that already has a ring and another trying to win his first and the 1st for the modern day Sens.

We shall see what this year will bring. We can all dream! Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach 54934

Only if we dare to do so...

Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Spezza11

3Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think if Clouston had been coaching the 2009 Penguins he'd have Bylsma's Cup ring. Chew on that for a while. Vertigo

- Unknown Author

4Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Clouston's very similar to Bylsma. Apparently Clouston spend 99% of the summer watching video from the Sens, trying to focus in on what they did right and what they did wrong.

Blysma spent the summer researching the teams that won Championships and came back the next season to more success.

Clouston will be fine, in fact, he was made for this.

5Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:53 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

“Pressure? Nervousness? Not necessarily,” he said. “We feel we’re
prepared. We know what we have to do. We know what we can expect from
Pittsburgh. We knew we were going to have to go through them eventually.
It just happens to be in the first round.

Need I say anything. The words tell you everything you need to know about how serious this team is about making an impact in the playoffs.

6Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good catch there PKC, that's a cool statement. It's not cocky, it's just neat.

7Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If the Sens make it out of this round I can definitely see them making it to the Conference Finals. If the make it that far who's to say they can't get back to the Finals?

I know I'm way ahead of myself and should the miracle run occur I don't see a Cup for the Sens.

It sure will boost season seats if they make it to the Finals though.

- Unknown Author

8Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Well, if we happen to make it past round 1 and the Caps make it past the Habs and the Devils make it past the Flyers and the Sabres make it past the B's, then we meet the Caps in round 2. That would scare me a little...

9Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Well, if we happen to make it past round 1 and the Caps make it past the Habs and the Devils make it past the Flyers and the Sabres make it past the B's, then we meet the Caps in round 2. That would scare me a little...

True. I'm hoping for one more upset along with us in order to avoid that ugliness that early.

- Unknown Author

10Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:54 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Well, if we happen to make it past round 1 and the Caps make it past the Habs and the Devils make it past the Flyers and the Sabres make it past the B's, then we meet the Caps in round 2. That would scare me a little...

True. I'm hoping for one more upset along with us in order to avoid that ugliness that early.

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!

11Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

One cup, sixteen teams. Is there a video of that?

12Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:10 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:One cup, sixteen teams. Is there a video of that?

There must be, did you check you tube?

13Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

14Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:21 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

This is a cool video. Except for the ending.

15Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Empty Re: Clouston - 1st year Playoff Coach Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensGirl11 wrote:
wprager wrote:One cup, sixteen teams. Is there a video of that?

There must be, did you check you tube?

I think it was taken down.

I, of course, meant to say "16 teams, 1 Cup". Hey, Dash, you could put that up in your banner and maybe Clutch could put that in the 'alt' attribute text, somewhere on the home page and in the search engine meta tags. Could get us some more traffic.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum