GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site

+6
ddt
sens4win
Tuk Tuk
wprager
PTFlea
Riprock
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:10 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:LAME!!! haha. I've heard them all. Too bad I am not a pro athlete, I'd have a sick name. Put me on the Kings with Quick.

Now dash away Dash away! Dash away all!

That's what usually comes to *my* mind -- Dasher and Prancer and Donder and Blitzen.

Yup, got that one too. Used to bother me 'cause the people saying it said it with malicious intentions, but I basically go by Dash now anyways.

17No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:26 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:http://www.nomoreorr.com/reasons-to-remove-bobby-orr-from-the-hhof/

Have you seen this yet? It's ridiculous. Saw it on Facebook and had to check it out to find out why someone would hate Orr so much and go so far to have him removed from the HHOF.

The points are invalid - trying to compare the hockey of the past 20 years to the hockey of 30-40 years ago is irrelevant - of course they are different games. The players are bigger, stronger, faster, but the equipment is much more technologically advanced and larger and more protective. The rules have changed significantly.

It's like saying if you were to put Gordie Howe or Maurice Richard into the NHL today that they would not be as good as they were in their time.

You could do this for any sport too. Football, basketball, baseball, soccer...

I agree with everything you said except for that. Baseball is still the same sport it was 50, 60, 70 years ago. Guys could throw just as hard and hit just as far as they can today. It's the only sport where technology couldn't influence the game too much and the dimensions and properties of the bases and the diamond never changed.

18No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:32 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Possibly, I was thinking more like steroids, performance enhancers, and just the athletics. Babe Ruth was hardly the most athletic guy, though you still have a few overweight guys playing the sport.

19No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:34 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good god, yeah, steroids and performance enhancers. If anything the players back in the day would mess with their performance by being three sheets to the wind.

20No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

LOL same with hockey players who used to smoke and drink - on the bench.

21No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:

Have you seen this yet? It's ridiculous. Saw it on Facebook and had to check it out to find out why someone would hate Orr so much and go so far to have him removed from the HHOF.

The points are invalid - trying to compare the hockey of the past 20 years to the hockey of 30-40 years ago is irrelevant - of course they are different games. The players are bigger, stronger, faster, but the equipment is much more technologically advanced and larger and more protective. The rules have changed significantly.

It's like saying if you were to put Gordie Howe or Maurice Richard into the NHL today that they would not be as good as they were in their time.

I agree with everything you said except for that. Baseball is still the same sport it was 50, 60, 70 years ago. Guys could throw just as hard and hit just as far as they can today. It's the only sport where technology couldn't influence the game too much and the dimensions and properties of the bases and the diamond never changed.

Baseball *has* changed. Catchers' equipment is night and day; gloves are very different; no more long, baggy wool unis; $300 shoes; all-year training; separate batting, running, fielding, pitching coaches; juiced up balls; sliding pants; flip-up sun-glasses; contact lenses.

Last edited by wprager on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

22No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:LOL same with hockey players who used to smoke and drink - on the bench.

As bad as the leaf who brought a hotdog onto the ice? No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 270956

23No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I have never heard that! Who was that and when?

Is that the only "hot dogging" that the Leafs are allowed on the ice? No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 159628

24No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Hahahaha, oh man, what a stupid proposal. Great points the guy makes though No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 489887

25No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:44 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Go and Read the email section (emails he received). looks like most guys are in agreement with us Smile

26No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 pm

wprager wrote:
PKC wrote:

Baseball *has* changed. Catchers' equipment is night and day; gloves are very different; no more long, baggy wool unis; $300 shoes; all-year training; separate batting, running, fielding, pitching coaches; juiced up balls; sliding pants; flip-up sun-glasses; contact lenses.

Baseball is exactly the same. 100mph fast ball is still a 100mph fastball. No equipment or training makes it any easier to hit.

Things hurt less, that's about it.

27No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:30 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Actually the change is bats is pretty huge. Still nowhere near the changes in hockey or football though.

28No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site - Page 2 Empty Re: No More Orr - anti-Bobby Orr site Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:37 pm

How far the ball goes has changed but the basic skills needed to play baseball are exactly the same.

Put it this way, if you were an all stat 50 years ago chances are you would be an all star today too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum