GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Habs and Laraque part ways, will be bought out after this season

+5
TheAvatar
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
shabbs
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Maybe Laraque requested this due to the situation in Haiti? Maybe he wants to focus on relief efforts?

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
hemlock wrote:Is outright release even an option under this CBA?
I don't think so. It's a nice way of saying "we're not going to play you for the rest of the year, and then we'll buy you out after the season is done".

That would suggest he can't even sign with another team until he's bought out. So, he'll just sit at home and get paid.

That's Diddling terrible. Like, how could they not even let the guy just skate around with the team and make him a healthy scratch every night? Why distance him so much? And then to keep his $1.5 million on the books too? Weird.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Maybe Laraque requested this due to the situation in Haiti? Maybe he wants to focus on relief efforts?
Possibly, or perhaps it's affected him so much that he feels he's not going to be effective anymore.

Very strange...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dreger just chatted with Laraque... seems like this was a surprise to Laraque and he called it "classless".

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/8030674164

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More from TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=307080

Man, what a horrible way to handle this.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Waive him, send him to Hamilton and bench him there if need be, but what a waste of cap space.

Meh...whatever... Habs and Laraque part ways, will be bought out after this season - Page 2 65556

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If they didn't plan on playing him, as a player, which would you prefer?

1 - Don't say a word, let you keep practicing and thinking you might get a game here or there when the chances are actually 0%.

2 - Be honest and up front but allow you the dignity of not riding the buses in the minors so you can focus on your family and the devastation in Haiti.

I wonder, once he cools down, if he'll think a little differently about it. It's not like they can go ah well George is going through a tough spot so we'll keep him and play him. If they think he's a wasted roster spot then they can't play him because of circumstances.

- Unknown Author

shabbs wrote:
I don't think so. It's a nice way of saying "we're not going to play you for the rest of the year, and then we'll buy you out after the season is done".

That would suggest he can't even sign with another team until he's bought out. So, he'll just sit at home and get paid.

A real tragedy. I'm crying a river of crocodile tears right now.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

But they're not even giving him a chance to sign with another team. He's in total limbo.

SpezDispenser wrote:Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Waive him, send him to Hamilton and bench him there if need be, but what a waste of cap space.

Meh...whatever... Habs and Laraque part ways, will be bought out after this season - Page 2 65556

No Movement Clause.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:

A real tragedy. I'm crying a river of crocodile tears right now.
Well, some people would love that but these guys just want to play hockey. At least give him a chance somewhere else.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

RobbyJ wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Waive him, send him to Hamilton and bench him there if need be, but what a waste of cap space.

No Movement Clause.
I don't think that was in place after this summer... didn't it end on July 1st, 2009?

shabbs wrote:But they're not even giving him a chance to sign with another team. He's in total limbo.

Strange for sure. I would have thought just waiving him and letting him either report to Hamilton or get picked up elsewhere would be the first move.

Gainey......I just don't get this guy.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

He does have a NTC and he can name 6 teams in the East and 6 in the West that he'll accept a trade to. No one wants him, so the Habs released him.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

He does have a NTC and he can name 6 teams in the East and 6 in the West that he'll accept a trade to. No one wants him, so the Habs released him.
So they could have waived him and bought him out since he didn't have a NMC.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:

Yeah, I'm back to not understanding.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Yeah, I'm back to not understanding.
Do you think they didn't want him to go somewhere else this season? Could they be that cold?

Buying him out now surely has to be cheaper than keeping him on the books for the season and then buying him out?

Rooney... crunch those numbers!

Wink

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ok, I went over to capgeek.com and gave their buyout calc a run... the buyout period is as follows:

Buyouts take place between June 15 and 30 or 48 hours after salary arbitration hearings, which are held from July 20 to August 4.

So, they can't buy him out, but they could still waive him and send him down to the minors. Perhaps this is the "easiest" way to do this for both sides. But is he not still listed as an active player? He'll have to be a healthy scratch every single game.

Last edited by shabbs on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum