GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Habs and Laraque part ways, will be bought out after this season

+5
TheAvatar
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
shabbs
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

RDS is reporting that he's been bought out.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/291074.html

Interesting timing.

EDIT: Not sure if he's been bought out or released. Reports are confusing. Some say he'll be paid for the rest of the season.

Looks like they just won't play him for the remainder of the season and will buy him out after this season is done.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=307080

Last edited by shabbs on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dave Stubbs:

http://twitter.com/habsinsideout1/status/8029918594

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You can buy out players mid-season? Well, what the diddle...what the diddle... Habs and Laraque part ways, will be bought out after this season 821277 I did NOT know that.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm confused as well... is it a buy out or a release?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And I don't recall him being put on waivers, which is usually the first step to a buy out.

Makes sense. He was way too big for that team.

Why get rid of one of the league's toughest hombres when you have such a small group of forwards???

I gotta wonder if theres a move coming and this is to clear space.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:I'm confused as well... is it a buy out or a release?

Release?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:I'm confused as well... is it a buy out or a release?

Release?
Looks like they don't intend on playing him for the rest of the season and will then buy him out after this season is done.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=307080

I'll update the thread title.

Is outright release even an option under this CBA?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:Is outright release even an option under this CBA?
I don't think so. It's a nice way of saying "we're not going to play you for the rest of the year, and then we'll buy you out after the season is done".

That would suggest he can't even sign with another team until he's bought out. So, he'll just sit at home and get paid.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think they're still paying him for the rest of the season but they just don't want him around the team because he's not going to play?

Very strange. I'm not sure how that works. The only time I remember this sort of thing happening is because the player was suspended from the team and told to stay home a la Sean Avery.

- Unknown Author

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

No. I can't imagine that's the case unless it's a "compliance buyout" which apparently every NHL team is entitled to three of for the duration of the CBA.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Maybe Laraque requested this due to the situation in Haiti? Maybe he wants to focus on relief efforts?

- Unknown Author

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
I don't think so. It's a nice way of saying "we're not going to play you for the rest of the year, and then we'll buy you out after the season is done".

That would suggest he can't even sign with another team until he's bought out. So, he'll just sit at home and get paid.

That's Diddling terrible. Like, how could they not even let the guy just skate around with the team and make him a healthy scratch every night? Why distance him so much? And then to keep his $1.5 million on the books too? Weird.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Maybe Laraque requested this due to the situation in Haiti? Maybe he wants to focus on relief efforts?
Possibly, or perhaps it's affected him so much that he feels he's not going to be effective anymore.

Very strange...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum