GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Garrioch: Is this the real deal - is Redden going to the minors?

+10
dennycrane
SensGirl11
LeCaptain
beedub
Phoenix30
SensHulk
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2010/01/10/buzz-rangers-talking-about-sending-redden-to-minors/

Bruce Garroich, of the Ottawa Sun, is reporting that the time may have finally come for Wade Redden.
Garrioch: Is this the real deal - is Redden going to the minors? Ap090322024507-223x300He is reporting that there is talk that the Rangers could finally send the disappointing defenseman to Hartford:
There has been talk the Rangers are going to place D
Wade Redden on waivers and then send him to the their AHL affiliate in
Hartford. There is nothing to stop the Rangers from doing that because
Redden has a limited no-trade clause, but he doesn’t have a restrictive
no-movement clause. Signed to a six-year, $39-million deal on July 1,
2007, the Rangers have tried to deal Redden, but haven’t been able to
find any takers. Even if New York GM Glen Sather did want to deal
Redden, he’d have to get a list from the defenceman of eight teams
where he doesn’t want to go.
…Well wouldn’t this be nice.
Garroich has a bit of a hit or miss resume when it comes to this
stuff, lets just say, this isn’t Darren Dreger reporting something like
this.

The thing is, I am sure that there has been talk of the Rangers
doing this, probably from people within the organization but it just
doesn’t seem likely. It’s that this could be someone from another team
speaking to Garroich, with no real inside info from the Rangers, who
tells him that the team may do this. Garroich then writes it, and it
gets talked about as if its fact. Again, its more than probable that
this has been discussed, but reading between the lines, there is
nothing concrete to take from it. For all we know, that talk has been
between me and you in email or the comments section. I don’t mean to
rope Garroich into the category of a certain hockey blogger, but don’t
go running to the bank with this info.

Then again, this would be a big move for the Rangers

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Would there be a team out there that would take a chance on him for half the price? Sather's job should be on the line here - horrible moves he has made. And if I am the owner and he says he wants me to pay Redden $6.5M to play in the AHL because of a "my bad"... oh boy.

EDIT:
Question: If he is claimed off of re-entry, does the claiming team pay half his salary for the remainder of the contract or just this season? If it is the former, I wonder if Edmonton would consider taking him, at $3.25M he might not be a bad player to have (relatively close to hometown) and they need to spend some $$$ to reach the cap floor?

Last edited by Dash on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think if Redden makes it to the minors he likely stays there but who knows.

- Unknown Author

Dash wrote:Would there be a team out there that would take a chance on him for half the price? Sather's job should be on the line here - horrible moves he has made. And if I am the owner and he says he wants me to pay Redden $6.5M to play in the AHL because of a "my bad"... oh boy.

EDIT:
Question: If he is claimed off of re-entry, does the claiming team pay half his salary for the remainder of the contract or just this season? If it is the former, I wonder if Edmonton would consider taking him, at $3.25M he might not be a bad player to have (relatively close to hometown) and they need to spend some $$$ to reach the cap floor?

They pay half his salary (and take half the cap hit) for the remainder of the contract.

Edmonton is a cap team, they have very little wiggle room, much less a need to get to the cap floor.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Would there be a team out there that would take a chance on him for half the price? Sather's job should be on the line here - horrible moves he has made. And if I am the owner and he says he wants me to pay Redden $6.5M to play in the AHL because of a "my bad"... oh boy.

EDIT:

Good gosh, I never really gave that any thought, but the Rangers would be on the hook for 4 more seasons after this for 3.25 if someone claimed him on re-entry. Certainly not an attractive player for 3.25 though - he's literally all used up.

I don't know what's gonna happen...only that Sather should lose his job.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I will be absolutely shocked if Redden is waived down to the minors. Unbelievable.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Robby, if you read the Edmonton thread we have, if they trade away their big contract guys, like it is suggested for a rebuild, then they would have to have some salary somewhere to replace the contracts they would be trading away.

Yes, right now, they are near the cap ceiling - but they are in a serious dilemma with their huge amount of free agents to re-sign (specifically the young RFAs).

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I hate Garrioch, so I hope Redden stays up. Also, his defensive inabilities will allow the sens to distance themselves from the rangers.

All in all, I feel pretty bad for Redden. There's no way any human would turn down that money....what was he supposed to do? Acknowledge he can't live up to that type of contract and ask for less? He's really lost it mentally I think for whatever reason (coke) and maybe needs to go the route of Mcgrattan. How does one lose so much talent without a significant injury???

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

No blame on Redden for signing the contract, that's not in dispute at all. His play is all on him though. And more importantly, the blame is on Sather for being dumb enough to offer that much money to a player who clearly did not earn it with his play the prior season(s). Step One: Fire Sather. Step Two: Correct his mistakes.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Yup, that's definitely the correct way to go. Perhaps after the WHC, Messier will take over....or something.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wouldn't want to have to take over that train wreck of a team if I didn't have to.

- Unknown Author

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

EDIT:

Edmonton isnt interested because they have the young guys to bring up. He would be more of a hinderance than anything. My guess is the sharks would take him on reentry..... Garrioch: Is this the real deal - is Redden going to the minors? 805406

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I wouldn't want to have to take over that train wreck of a team if I didn't have to.

REdden and Roszival aside (and granted they are a pretty big "aside") there are some nice players on that team, a la Dubinsky, Del Zotto, Lundqvist, Gaborik to name a few.

All of Slat's decisions can't be faulted. At the time that he signed Redden, there really was no indication that Redden would fall downward so sharply. For all he knew, he was getting the Redden that Ottawa coveted for so long, preferring him over Chara......

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I see Redden doing some rehab (if that is indeed the case, and at the team level, they know what the problem is), get's picked up by the Leafs on re-entry, allowing them to move Kaberle for a high first round pick and a nice player.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I wouldn't want to have to take over that train wreck of a team if I didn't have to.

They are probably top 5 in the league in prospects from top to bottom + IMO the best goalie in the league. I would take that team.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum