GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2010 Russian Roster

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

12010 Russian Roster Empty 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:17 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Russia's Olympic hockey roster Goalies
Ilya Bryzgalov (Phoenix), Evgeni Nabokov (San Jose), Semyon Varlamov (Washington) Defence
Sergei
Gonchar (Pittsburgh), Denis Grebeshkov (Edmonton), Dmitri Kalinin
(Salavat Ufa), Konstantin Korneyev (CSKA Moscow), Andrei Markov
(Montreal), Ilya Nikulin (Ak Bars Kazan), Fedor Tyutin (Columbus),
Anton Vonchenkov (Ottawa) Forwards
Maxim Afinogenov
(Atlanta), Pavel Datsyuk (Detroit), Sergei Fedorov (Metallurg
Magnitogorsk), Ilya Kovalchuk (Atlanta), Viktor Kozlov (Salavat Ufa),
Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh), Alexei Morozov (Ak Bars Kazan), Alexander
Ovechkin (Washington), Alexander Radulov (Salavat Ufa), Alexander Semin
(Washington), Danis Zaripov (Ak Bars Kazan), Sergei Zinoviev (Salavat
Ufa)

22010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:18 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=24347.html?cid=rsstsn

NHL, NHLPA write to IIHF about Team Russia

Because of comments the coach made saying he was going to make any changes to his roster as he felt, up until the Olympics start.

32010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I guess having Mike Richards on the Canadian team will spark the Ovechkin-Richards rivalry. Perhaps that was a huge reason that he was picked?

42010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sure, but according to the coach this is just a "provisional roster".

"I wouldn't guarantee a place on the Olympic team to anyone," Bykov was quoted as saying at the time. "If my players can't perform up to the standards playing for their respective clubs, then how can I rely on them in Vancouver?"

It's a bit of a pickle. According to the IIHF the rosters *are* provisional and do not have to be set in stone until Feb. 15, so long as the replacement players are all on the WADA list for anti-doping purposes. The NHLPA and the NHL disagree, saying that the only substitutions allowed are for injury replacements.

Frankly, what does it really matter?

52010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:29 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:Sure, but according to the coach this is just a "provisional roster".

"I wouldn't guarantee a place on the Olympic team to anyone," Bykov was quoted as saying at the time. "If my players can't perform up to the standards playing for their respective clubs, then how can I rely on them in Vancouver?"

It's a bit of a pickle. According to the IIHF the rosters *are* provisional and do not have to be set in stone until Feb. 15, so long as the replacement players are all on the WADA list for anti-doping purposes. The NHLPA and the NHL disagree, saying that the only substitutions allowed are for injury replacements.

Frankly, what does it really matter?

Mehn it's just another "we're russians", we'll do whatever the Diddle we want.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

62010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:34 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone confused with the addition of Radulov? I thought there was a ruling he couldn't play in the IIHF for breaching his NHL contract?

72010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, don't make me exercise my Russianness. I've got admin powers.

Seriously, though, first of all, according to the IIHF they are correct -- this is a provisional roster. And even if it wasn't, they have as much of a chance to make a mistake now as in the next 6 weeks. Seriously, it should be the best players against the best players. Would Team Canada's strategy change drastically if the Russian roster changed? It's not likely that Yzerman's selections were affected by the revelation that Kovalev didn't make the team, or that Fedorov did.

82010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:40 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

True. Plus injuries happen all the time, or someone might decide not to go for personal reasons.

92010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's a bit of a mind game. The NHL/NHLPA are posturing just as much as the Russians (if not more).

102010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:33 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

First of all, these games are sanctioned by the IOC, not the IIHF, which explains the Radulov inclusion.

Second, as long as players pass the required doping tests, they can name anyone to the team before the tournament starts.

112010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:07 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Oh, so he can play in the Olympics but not the World's? Weird.

122010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:Oh, so he can play in the Olympics but not the World's? Weird.

I didn't say that. All I said is that it's happened in figure skating/ice dancing. Rules could have changed since then, or the IOC/IIHF agreements may be different.

132010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:Oh, so he can play in the Olympics but not the World's? Weird.

I didn't say that. All I said is that it's happened in figure skating/ice dancing. Rules could have changed since then, or the IOC/IIHF agreements may be different.

Sorry, this belongs in the other thread where Olympic eligibility is being discussed w.r.t. Tyler Myers.

142010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:26 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Radulov should come back to the NHL though... the Pred's would be much better with him.

152010 Russian Roster Empty Re: 2010 Russian Roster Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:47 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Diddle the IIHF and IOC anyways.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum