GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Talk is Cheap - The Official GMH slogan for the SENS 09/10 season

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Talk is Cheap. I was at the game last night and started to think about who I should bring up in the thread dedicated to this GMH slogan for the Sens 09/10 season. I found myself coming up with several and felt that a simple comment wouldn’t do justice to the players that are exemplifying the “Talk is Cheap” slogan. You could almost list the entire team for their efforts last night but I will limit this blog to my top 5.

Anton Volchenkov – He has been a beast so far and paired with Phillips, they’ve looked like the shutdown duo circa 2007 playoffs. Last night in particular I noticed a wicked hip check on Hedman, some timely blocked shots and a two on one defensive play that got fans out of their seats. Way to exemplify “Talk is Cheap”!

Milan Michalek – I know, easy pick with two shorties as a part of his first ever hat-trick right? I don’t think so. I remember seeing Heatley and Spezza both have 4 plus point nights and wondering where they were all night, outside of the point production of course. Michalek has put in a strong effort in every zone of the ice and used his speed to create chances. He’s hit posts and now, for his efforts, he’s been rewarded with 4 goals on the season. He could have had 5 or even six goals last night. He didn’t just pot the goals and figure his work was done. Good on you Michalek. I’ll take your 30 plus goals and infectious attitude and effort over a lazy player with 45 plus goals any day of the week.

Jarko Ruutu – This guy has been the perfect pest. The guy you love on your team but hate if he’s not. At 1 Million-ish a year he’s also got a great salary for what he brings and what he’s brought so far this season. A goal and 2 assists last night for his efforts sure showed me he knows what our slogan means.

Jason Spezza – Talk is cheap for sure here. A quote I remember hearing him say after being put on a line with Cheechoo and Michalek made me say this slogan to myself – “…those guys are making me a better player”. Well Spezza I couldn’t have said it better myself. Spezza has looked like a much more well rounded player and seems to be taking his PK responsibilities seriously. He can still be creative offensively (See that sick pass for Michalek’s PP goal) and play smart. I saw him lay a guy out last night behind the net too. Keep it up Spezza. Fantastic game all around even without scoring.

Matt Carkner – This guy has lived this slogan since training camp. He worked his way onto the Sens lineup forcing Murray to keep him up and he hasn’t disappointed. Tough play last night, not looking out of place plus a pounding on Downie sure had me happy with his play thus far.

Well, there are many others that could have been brought up but those were my top 5 just for last night’s game. If they keep this up I’ll have a problem keeping up with giving out props to all the players. Believe me it’s a problem I welcome.

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author
Share this post on: reddit

good post/blog Cap, another shout out should go out to Donovan too, a guy is making just above league minimum, never complains about anything, does his job on the 4th line and is a great leader for the kids we have in the organization. Talk is Cheap - The Official GMH slogan for the SENS 09/10 season 301182

Good point about Donovan. As I said we could put just about the whole team up there but, for last night at least, those were my top 5.

What a great night to cap off a successful home stand. Give the people something to chew on (a slice of pizza) while they wait for the team to come back.

Say what you will about going 1 for 7 on the PP, that's still double what we had coming into the game at 1 for 14. Plus they had lots of chances. It *will* improve, although I now realize my expectations from the Summer were probably too lofty. Then, again, if Kovalev and Spezza get going that 2 for 21 9.5% can change to something respectable in a hurry (a 4 for 5 performance would give as 23% and put us right around 14th in the league).

Kovalev, despite the goal, was still largely invisible. It was nice, though, that the team rallied to kill off his hooking penalty (the one where St. Louis grabbed his stick and made it look real good).

Can't wait till Saturday. I must admit I'm a little worried -- I just hope the Habs are going to be tired from the bag-skate that's surely in store for them today. Oh, and Kovalev might want to leave his fans with something nice to remember him by -- like a hat trick?

I too am a little concerned about the game on Saturday. It's hard to come down from a 7 to 1 pasting and the Habs, despite losing last night, held in pretty well against a hot team in the AVs. This certainly won't be 2 points in the bag if the Sens aren't careful.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum