GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Toronto Maple Leafs - 7:00pm ET - Tue. Oct. 6th, 2009

+28
mickbud
TheAvatar
Riprock
PKC
spader
mattshock
Hockeyhero22000
Hobiesens
dennycrane
Bramlet07
Number Twenty Nine
caissie_1
beerandsens
SensGirl11
Tuk Tuk
TeamRenzo
Sens19
SeawaySensFan
ddt
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
wprager
LeCaptain
asq2
Hoags
PTFlea
shabbs
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 27]

SpezDispenser wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:Bouwmeester is the most overrated d man there is. You don't want him anyway. Be thankful you don't have that stud d man to give calgary

I literally think that's all the Sens are missing. Him exactly would do the trick.

His offensive skill yes. He's way too soft for a guy his size. His skating is absurd though. I'd take Karlsson over him Bouw.

Sophomore
Sophomore

cloverleaf wrote:Nope. Try again. Lol

how about a lee, kelly, and a third?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:I need to ask - why don't we break up A-Train and Phillips? Not sure it would hurt to have Volchenkov and Karlsson, Phillips, Kuba, Campoli/Carkner/Picard.

Or some semblance of that.

I would not be surprised if I was the first one to bring that up as an option. It may well have been back on HB a couple of years ago. I said "This may be blasphemy, but ..." or something like that.

I was actually surprised I didn't get raked over the coals by more people, but there was general disagreement, with only a few echoing my sentiment.

There are three main reasons I'd like to see that done now:

1. They haven't been very good together since the Cup run year. Our PK has slipped, and that was even before Vermette left.

2. A shut-down pair can be really great against a one-line team. Trouble is, with the cap in place, the one-line teams are usually the weak sisters of the NHL. Most teams are now trying to get two or even three lines going. That shut down pair is still important on the PK, but probably not as much 5-5.

3. I've always said I want a great puck mover and a stay-at-home defensemen paired up. A Pronger-type who can clear out the crease, make a pin-point outlet pass and has a great shot from the point are rare, so put out two guys who can do all of that as a combination.

Actually, thinking of #3, I wonder what would happen if a team with such a player would play 1D and 4 forwards? I guess like the Torpedo System:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_system

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, other than the BoO, any other game to get excited about? I don't have TSN HD (or TSN2 HD, for that matter). Washington/Philly could be a good one -- both teams are 2-0. I'm dying to see how Emery and Pronger do against Ovechkin. The only HD game I've got is the Habs/Flames tilt. Man I still remember those New Year's Eve events from a few years back. Those used to be something. Just like the Caps/Flyers matchup, these two teams are undefeated in two games (although Montreal has done that the generous way, giving away two loser points in the process). Can't say I'm excited about the other games on the sched.

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:OK, other than the BoO, any other game to get excited about? I don't have TSN HD (or TSN2 HD, for that matter). Washington/Philly could be a good one -- both teams are 2-0. I'm dying to see how Emery and Pronger do against Ovechkin. The only HD game I've got is the Habs/Flames tilt. Man I still remember those New Year's Eve events from a few years back. Those used to be something. Just like the Caps/Flyers matchup, these two teams are undefeated in two games (although Montreal has done that the generous way, giving away two loser points in the process). Can't say I'm excited about the other games on the sched.

That Caps vs Flyers match up looks to be the first game where that rivalry is going to go over the top. The Pronger/Emery effect will be huge...a lot of hitting, fighting, scoring...could be the east final preview for the next few years.

back to the Sens....God I hope they win tonight!

Caps don't dress any real fighters though...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TGIT. (Thank god it's Tuesday) It can even be reused for Thursday Smile Anyway, I really hope we show some cohesiveness and a solid game plan. You just know that the Leafs will be hitting everything and there's going to be lots of fights. I mean this is Burke's tough guys and it's on home ice right. Lets just get our PP going and make them pay on their parade to the penalty box. I'm sure the Sens will up there physical play to match the Leafs with Carkner, Neil, Donovan, and Fisher in the lineup so I'm not concerned that we'll get pushed around by the Truclulent tendencies of the Leafs.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Get those beers on ice! Puck drops in... uh.... 10 and a half hours! HA HA!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Get those beers on ice! Puck drops in... uh.... 10 and a half hours! HA HA!

Is that it?!!!??? I better go get my ice then. Wink

- Unknown Author

BigRig wrote:
wprager wrote:OK, other than the BoO, any other game to get excited about? I don't have TSN HD (or TSN2 HD, for that matter). Washington/Philly could be a good one -- both teams are 2-0. I'm dying to see how Emery and Pronger do against Ovechkin. The only HD game I've got is the Habs/Flames tilt. Man I still remember those New Year's Eve events from a few years back. Those used to be something. Just like the Caps/Flyers matchup, these two teams are undefeated in two games (although Montreal has done that the generous way, giving away two loser points in the process). Can't say I'm excited about the other games on the sched.

That Caps vs Flyers match up looks to be the first game where that rivalry is going to go over the top. The Pronger/Emery effect will be huge...a lot of hitting, fighting, scoring...could be the east final preview for the next few years.

I honestly can't really see anyone stopping The Caps this year. I think they are going to run away with the league and probably The East. I said this when they got beat out in game 7 last year, The Caps are the team to beat. Every year they get better and better and more dominate.

Ovechkin will get 150 points this year.

N4L wrote:
BigRig wrote:

I honestly can't really see anyone stopping The Caps this year. I think they are going to run away with the league and probably The East. I said this when they got beat out in game 7 last year, The Caps are the team to beat. Every year they get better and better and more dominate.

Ovechkin will get 150 points this year.

They are certainly talented and fear inspiring but they can be beat. You have to have two or three top end defensive forwards, a very physical defence and make them pay the price minute after minute. You have to be relentless with someone velcroed to OV.

..even then they will win 8 out of 10 against you... GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Toronto Maple Leafs - 7:00pm ET - Tue. Oct. 6th, 2009 - Page 3 78253

The Caps are going to be a machien this year. Any kind of decent goaltending, they could very well win it all. They are the best team in The East. Pitts might be the deneding champs but I dont even think they can beat that Caps team in a 7 game series now.

Teams will find away to beat the Caps.. just a matter of time.. remember when the Sens went 17-4. that was awesome.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You don't have TSN HD but do you have regular TSN or is SD below you know? GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Toronto Maple Leafs - 7:00pm ET - Tue. Oct. 6th, 2009 - Page 3 Icon_wink I don't know for sure but I would imagine if it's on HD it's also on SD but I'll check.

Edit: It is also available in SD on channel 30 or 406 if you're using Rogers Cable.

http://ca.tv.yahoo.com/listings?starttime=1254873600&provider=78424

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author

DirtyDave wrote:Teams will find away to beat the Caps.. just a matter of time.. remember when the Sens went 17-4. that was awesome.

Sens never had Ovechkin. No one has figured out how to stop him thus far in his NHL career. The kid is 3 or 4 years away from his prime. Washington with just ONE true number 1 D man could very well be a dynasty, more so then The Pens.

If you or anyone that even watches, plays, coaches, is a GM, an owner, even God can tell me they know how to stop Ovechkin, I'll call them a liar. The guy might be the most dominate player that has ever played the game. He's just unreal.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:Teams will find away to beat the Caps.. just a matter of time.. remember when the Sens went 17-4. that was awesome.

Sens never had Ovechkin. No one has figured out how to stop him thus far in his NHL career. The kid is 3 or 4 years away from his prime. Washington with just ONE true number 1 D man could very well be a dynasty, more so then The Pens.

If you or anyone that even watches, plays, coaches, is a GM, an owner, even God can tell me they know how to stop Ovechkin, I'll call them a liar. The guy might be the most dominate player that has ever played the game. He's just unreal.

That's some serious praise. I don't know If I'm personally ready to crown him the most dominant to ever play the game. There is a long list of accomplished players, that were ultra super stars of their era that I would put ahead of him right now for sure.

Edit: Off the top of my head I would put Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux ahead of him. Then if we want to include goalies there's also Terry Sawchuck. I know there's others but those are the first ones that popped into my head.

- Unknown Author

N4L wrote:The Caps are going to be a machien this year. Any kind of decent goaltending, they could very well win it all. They are the best team in The East. Pitts might be the deneding champs but I dont even think they can beat that Caps team in a 7 game series now.

I think Philly is the best. Washington is a close 2nd but if Emery holds up in Philly, Washington can't match Philly's depth, particularly on defence. I think goaltending will be the difference though as these two battle for 1-2 in the conference all year long.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I'm a big fan of AO but as great as he is, he can only do so much.

The whole team needs to play well and after watching the Rangers go up on them early and the Pens defeating them I'm still convinced they can be beaten by a smart team.

It's going to have to be Varlamov in nets for them, I don't think Theodore will take them anywhere, he's so over the hill.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum