GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kadri Cut, Frogren and Hanson to the Marlies

+5
Riprock
rooneypoo
shabbs
Sens19
asq2
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

beerandsens

Sophomore
Sophomore

Kadri Cut, Frogren and Hanson to the Marlies - Page 3 30582
What the hell is going on with this team?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
N4L wrote:So, who is going to be getting Kessel the puck?

Who said they won't be bringing him up in November.
I'm betting he won't be ready until December.

That too. They can save cap space with Kessel on the LTIR and Kadri in the minors.

I'm already calculating for Kadri (and Bozak) in the minors. And whether or not Kessel will qualify for LTIR remains to me seen. Seriously, it's a mess. Take a look at this nightmare for yourself.

I never said they'd be fine to bring in Kadri and Bozak. I just said they'd save cap space having Kessel on the LTIR and Kadri out of the lineup until he's brought up, whenever that may be.

Clearly, there would have to be additional moves. There are some seriously bad contracts there: Finger, Blake, Komisarek, even Beauchemin, Schenn is barely a sophomore earning more than $5M!!!!! Ponikarovski is actually underpaid, relative to most of the other forwards.

And this year Gustavsson is making $4.1M? He was *undrafted*! Sure, he could be good, but why not let the kid prove it first before throwing that money at him?

I swear, I don't want any top-five picks. Would be better to trade down for a mid-round 1st and a 2nd, let these kids come up at a nice pace so that they are happy to get a sniff at the NHL 2-3 years later, with an $800K 2-way salary, maybe with bonuses taking it as far as $1.3M but not much further.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Rooney - why wouldn't Kessel qualify for LTIR?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Rooney - why wouldn't Kessel qualify for LTIR?

I don't know all the ins and outs on LTIR, but I do know that there are plenty of players every year who are injured and are on the IR and can't play, but who don't qualify for LTIR and whose teams therefore get no cap relief. There are a series of tests / conditions to be met to qualify for LTIR, all set out by the CBA, and just being injured for more than 10 days doesn't guarantee that you qualify.

If the prognosis on Kessel is a December return at the earliest, I would think that he would qualify -- but that's not for sure.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
N4L wrote:So, who is going to be getting Kessel the puck?

Who said they won't be bringing him up in November.
I'm betting he won't be ready until December.

That too. They can save cap space with Kessel on the LTIR and Kadri in the minors.

I'm already calculating for Kadri (and Bozak) in the minors. And whether or not Kessel will qualify for LTIR remains to me seen. Seriously, it's a mess. Take a look at this nightmare for yourself.

I never said they'd be fine to bring in Kadri and Bozak. I just said they'd save cap space having Kessel on the LTIR and Kadri out of the lineup until he's brought up, whenever that may be.

Clearly, there would have to be additional moves. There are some seriously bad contracts there: Finger, Blake, Komisarek, even Beauchemin, Schenn is barely a sophomore earning more than $5M!!!!! Ponikarovski is actually underpaid, relative to most of the other forwards.

And this year Gustavsson is making $4.1M? He was *undrafted*! Sure, he could be good, but why not let the kid prove it first before throwing that money at him?

I swear, I don't want any top-five picks. Would be better to trade down for a mid-round 1st and a 2nd, let these kids come up at a nice pace so that they are happy to get a sniff at the NHL 2-3 years later, with an $800K 2-way salary, maybe with bonuses taking it as far as $1.3M but not much further.

I would take Beachemin, for sure. I think that was Burke's best off-season move.

As for your comments about overpaid rookies / undrafted players, I agree on the whole -- but you seem to be doing something wrong with the numbers. Gustavsson makes $2.5 mil this year ($875K in base salary, $1.625 mil in bonus); Schenn makes $2.975 mil this year ($875K in base salary, $2.1 mil in bonus); and Bozak, if he plays with the big club, will make $3.725 ($875K in base salary, $2.85 mil in bonus). The figures are all still pretty ridiculous except for Schenn, tho', when you consider that the other two have never even played a game in the NHL yet. I've heard good things about Bozak, but come on -- they're paying him as much or more than CHI had to pay Kane or Toews, or WAS had to pay Backstrom, for their entry-level deals!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I was just adding the total cap hit and the bonus cushion. I thought the second column was the cap hit less the cushion. Basically I was doubling the bonus.

Joey MacDonald will end up being Burke's best move IMO. Really under rated goaltender. I think Burke is going to look to move Toskala for one of the 1st he gave up but I doubt any team takes him on.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Joey MacDonald will end up being Burke's best move IMO. Really under rated goaltender. I think Burke is going to look to move Toskala for one of the 1st he gave up but I doubt any team takes him on.

I just envy the Beauchemin acquisition. He would have fit nicely here. I think, too, this is one case where Burke got the right guy on the right deal -- and probably only because Burke is who he is. It's clear the history thing here helped him land Beauchemin.

Probably the last good thing I'll have to say about Burke for the next 12 months, tho', and god knows I haven't liked much of what he's done so far.

I still have my doubts whether Beauchemin can actually be as effective without the help of perhaps the leagues best all around D man. Komiserek, haha, so glad they signed him too, we'll see him exposed in a huge way,

You're exaggerating Komisarek's ineptitude. He's not the 4.5 million man he's paid to be, but he's still solid defensively. "exposed" is a little off-base Imo

CCgotITcovered wrote:You're exaggerating Komisarek's ineptitude. He's not the 4.5 million man he's paid to be, but he's still solid defensively. "exposed" is a little off-base Imo

I honestly dont even think he's that good defensivly. Blocks shots, throws the body, but that's about it. I cant stand him as a player, I ripped him in Montreal for good reason now he doesnt have Markov holding his hand. He better be paired with Kaberle or that puck will never leave the zone.

N4L wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:You're exaggerating Komisarek's ineptitude. He's not the 4.5 million man he's paid to be, but he's still solid defensively. "exposed" is a little off-base Imo

I honestly dont even think he's that good defensivly. Blocks shots, throws the body, but that's about it. I cant stand him as a player, I ripped him in Montreal for good reason now he doesnt have Markov holding his hand. He better be paired with Kaberle or that puck will never leave the zone.

One thing thats definitely exaggerated by fans and the media is his toughness. The guy looks like he's about to cry whenever he's in a scrum. We'll see about the rest of his game...I never watched them because I hate them, but I hope you're right.

I watch because I gamble... it's a bad habit.

No sh!t---you can't stop making definitive statements Kadri Cut, Frogren and Hanson to the Marlies - Page 3 668437

might as well change your username to Michael Jordan.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:I still have my doubts whether Beauchemin can actually be as effective without the help of perhaps the leagues best all around D man. Komiserek, haha, so glad they signed him too, we'll see him exposed in a huge way,

Beauchemin looked pretty damn good to me during the 07-08 season, when Niedermayer was contemplating retirement forever.

Still, point taken, Pronger / Niedermayer are very good D partners and he's going to have to carry things for himself, unless he's paired with Kaberle.

I personally think he's a very good D. If he doesn't thrive in TO, I think that might say more about the team than him personally.

I like him better then Komiserek for sure, by a mile.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:

He's no Regher, or Volchenkov, that's for sure. And it's not like he's better offensively.

CCgotITcovered wrote:No sh!t---you can't stop making definitive statements Kadri Cut, Frogren and Hanson to the Marlies - Page 3 668437

might as well change your username to Michael Jordan.

J4L?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum