GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Teams that are over the cap

+3
rooneypoo
PKC
Riprock
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Teams that are over the cap Empty Teams that are over the cap Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

As of Sept. 14 2009 (source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/)

TEAM # OF PLAYERS SIGNED CAP SPACE
New York Rangers 22 -34,643
San Jose Sharks 21 -225,834
Calgary Flames 23 -890,834
Philadelphia Flyers 21 -1,031,667
Washington Capitals 23 -2,692,212
Anaheim Ducks 22 -3,235,000

Who is likely to be traded/waived? I thought Calgary was going to be buying some players out, did that happen yet? With a few exceptions, some teams are slightly over, and a low end player could be waived or traded to make room. Anaheim and Washington are the worst offenders right now, and we all have heard about Schneider and Marchant being the likely candidates... and Selanne hasn't even signed yet.

2Teams that are over the cap Empty Re: Teams that are over the cap Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:09 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I see Calgary moving Aucoin.
The Rangers will most likely benefit from the re-up of the CBA tomorrow by the PA to negate some of the bonuses they pay their rookies, same with the Sharks.
The Flyers will most likely move a forward for some D help.
The Capitals I believe will look to move Nylander.
And the Ducks are Diddle.

3Teams that are over the cap Empty Re: Teams that are over the cap Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:53 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:As of Sept. 14 2009 (source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/)

Who is likely to be traded/waived? I thought Calgary was going to be buying some players out, did that happen yet? With a few exceptions, some teams are slightly over, and a low end player could be waived or traded to make room. Anaheim and Washington are the worst offenders right now, and we all have heard about Schneider and Marchant being the likely candidates... and Selanne hasn't even signed yet.

Of that list, I think only the Flames and the Ducks have to make trades to get back under the cap -- and Aucoin and Schneider, as mentioned, as well as Todd Marchant are the obvious targets for being moved.

Philly and Washington are widely expected to get cap relief in the form of LTIR with Hatcher and Pothier, respectively. That would mean that neither team would have to do anything to get back under the cap comfortably.

New York and San Jose are currently over the cap, yes, but they haven't trimmed down their rosters yet either; the listing at HockeyBuzz have them with 22- and 21-man rosters, respectively, and I imagine they'll both trim down to 20. Guys on 2-way deals will be sent down, and expendable players on 1-way deals will get waived or traded -- that should clear up something like $500,000 to $1 mil a piece, which is tight, I grant, but it would be enough. I keep hearing McLaren mentioned as a guy who might get moved, tho', so look for that, too.

4Teams that are over the cap Empty Re: Teams that are over the cap Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:41 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Anaheim's just Diddle. :D

Give me a break, how are they possibly gonna fit Selanne in? Trade Marchant and Schneider? So you trade a 30 point forward and a 50 point D man for an 80 point winger?

Pfft. Whatever you want there Burkie.

5Teams that are over the cap Empty Re: Teams that are over the cap Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:35 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:Anaheim's just Diddle. :D

Give me a break, how are they possibly gonna fit Selanne in? Trade Marchant and Schneider? So you trade a 30 point forward and a 50 point D man for an 80 point winger?

Pfft. Whatever you want there Burkie.

Maybe "Burkie" thought he'd have a new address by now. It's his mess, for sure, but he didn't think he'd have to deal with it. That said, whoever gets Marchant's minutes will get at least some of his points, and the same goes for Schneider (but, of course, to a lesser degree).

Tough situation, but it's more likely that Selanne will play another two seasons (if not more) than Schneider lasting even one. The mistake was not dealing with the situation sooner. They won't be able to get as much for him now as they could have in the summer.

By the way, where's the flip-side of the cap situation? What teams are below the cap floot?

6Teams that are over the cap Empty Re: Teams that are over the cap Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:30 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

that's a good point Wrager. I think Burke thought he'd be sitting comfortably in his wingback chair at MLSE and at the ACC!!
Now he has to fix his own mess...

LOL

7Teams that are over the cap Empty Re: Teams that are over the cap Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:11 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:As of Sept. 14 2009 (source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/)

Of that list, I think only the Flames and the Ducks have to make trades to get back under the cap -- and Aucoin and Schneider, as mentioned, as well as Todd Marchant are the obvious targets for being moved.

Philly and Washington are widely expected to get cap relief in the form of LTIR with Hatcher and Pothier, respectively. That would mean that neither team would have to do anything to get back under the cap comfortably.

New York and San Jose are currently over the cap, yes, but they haven't trimmed down their rosters yet either; the listing at HockeyBuzz have them with 22- and 21-man rosters, respectively, and I imagine they'll both trim down to 20. Guys on 2-way deals will be sent down, and expendable players on 1-way deals will get waived or traded -- that should clear up something like $500,000 to $1 mil a piece, which is tight, I grant, but it would be enough. I keep hearing McLaren mentioned as a guy who might get moved, tho', so look for that, too.

Getzlaf for Donovan (or Neil) sounds fair :lol!:

8Teams that are over the cap Empty Re: Teams that are over the cap Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

oh yeah! Get it done Murray!! LOL

Seriously though, I'm wondering more and more if Murray is still making a pitch to Burke...

9Teams that are over the cap Empty Re: Teams that are over the cap Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:11 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Eventually, if that is the case, Burke is going to be pressured into making a move, even one that is not to his advantage. He's dealing from a position of weakness since everyone knows he needs to make a move or else face huge repercussions. That being said, I still do not want Schneider.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum