GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report

+14
rooneypoo
caissie_1
davetherave
Phoenix30
PKC
Riprock
shabbs
jawal
wprager
LeCaptain
Sens19
M_Christopher
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:41 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

There are major concerns over the status of Tanguay's shoulder. That, and he's a notoriously soft player.

$2.6 mil is probably a deal, but it's probably today's market value all things considering. Chris Neil aside, most players signed for less this year that could have been expected.

32Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:51 pm

davetherave wrote:
GM Brian Lawton appears to have confounded his critics with his recent off-season moves...
I don't quite understand where the criticism comes from :KJK: I think he's made nothing but solid moves. He's done an admirable job considering the ownership he's had to deal with.

33Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:17 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

I said earlier on this summer, and I'll say it again, Tampa Bay is a guarantee playoff team.

34Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:25 pm

I said it earlier this summer, and I'll say it again: Lawton is a good ol' boy in young man's skin.

Not another JFJ, that one...

35Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:55 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cas>Brian Lawton is a rather interesting personality.

From Wikipedia (excerpt, see link for full text):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lawton

Brian R. Lawton (born June 29, 1965 in New Brunswick, New Jersey and raised in Cumberland, Rhode Island) is the current general manager and executive vice president for the Tampa Bay Lightning. He was also a former professional ice hockey player and player agent who played 483 games in the NHL between 1983 and 1992. During his career, Lawton played for the North Stars, New York Rangers, Hartford Whalers, Quebec Nordiques, Boston Bruins and San Jose Sharks.

---

I listened to Lawton do some interviews on the NHL Radio Network just before he was hired by the Lightning as GM. Being a player agent for 15 years, he had gained a lot of insight and built valuable relationships.

He has been smart enough to see past the bickering between Koules and Barrie and formulate his own vision of what the team should be.

The Tampa Bay franchise has had a very difficult history. But unlike South Florida--and I know this from having lived for many years in the state--the Tampa-Orlando corridor (the cities being just an hour or so apart) is an excellent pro sports market.

NFL (Bucs), MLB (Devil Rays) and NBA (Magic) teams all do very well, and the NHL has a very enthusiastic fan base (though their loyalty has been severely challenged by some dreadful versions of the Bolts).

Perhaps this season we'll see some good hockey from the Lightning, and an end to the squabbling and stumbling that has plagued the club for the past few seasons.

Alex Tanguay seems pretty stoked about playing with Vinnie and Marty.

Francois Gagnon, one of the best hockey writers for La Presse, paid tribute to Tanguay in his article the other day.

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon/?p=70314723

"...En signant un contrat avec le Lightning de Tampa Bay, un contrat d’un an, Tanguay s’offre la chance de jouer avec Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St-Louis et Steve Stamkos. Il s’offre donc la chance de renflouer des statistiques offensives qui ont battu de l’aile au cours des trois dernières saisons. Il s’offre aussi, et surtout, l’occasion d’écarter des doutes associés à son nom."

Basically, Gagnon (whose writing is some of the most refined you will read from a newspaperman) says Tanguay never had a chance in Montreal, his injury resulting from a crushing hit by Evgeny (The Hulk) Artyukhin ripping his season to shreds. Gagnon expects AT to redeem himself in Tampa.

One can say that the addition of Tanguay completes an impressive rebuild by Lawton. As some posters have pointed out, the Bolts are looking like a playoff team again.

36Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:57 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

So, this leaves them with what? Something along the lines of

Tanguay - Lecavalier - Miller
Malone - Stamkos - St. Louis
Veilleux - Halpern - Hall
Fedoruk - Craig - Downie

Hedman - Ohlund
Meszaros - Ranger
Krajicek - Foster
*Smaby, Lashoff

Smith
Niitymaki
*Tokarski

?

Looks like a legit playoff team. The defence is actually respectable this time.

37Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:59 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ASQ>you left Matt Walker off your list...a big man and a warrior on D.

38Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:03 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

You've also omitted Paul Szczechura, who became a valuable role player under Tocchet last year.

39Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:04 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:ASQ>you left Matt Walker off your list...a big man and a warrior on D.

True, although some Lightning fans have expressed concern that his name be an aptonym (viz. speed is an issue). Walker's probably the 7th d-man unless Krajicek is moved.

40Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:04 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:You've also omitted Paul Szczechura, who became a valuable role player under Tocchet last year.

That too. I wasn't sure where to fit him in. He doesn't look like the type to play on a line with Todd Fedoruk.

41Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:14 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ASQ> Walker showed under Joel Quenneville that he had the ability to become a reliable and very tough defensive defenseman. He knocks people down, which is a very useful thing.

Tocchet's got some options now, so it will be interesting to see what he does, mixing and matching his personnel (with, for example, versatile players like Szczechura).

BTW Stamkos has been working out with fitness fanatic Gary Roberts and apparently is coming to camp much stronger than last year.

Bringing Tanguay and Drew Miller on board, the Lightning add skill and quickness.

Brian Lawton has more to say here:
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/tampa-bay-lightning-agrees-to-deal-with-wing-alex-tanguay/1032228

"We've got five really incredible players," Lawton said. "That means we're going to have to count on one of our other young players to earn a spot or somebody on the team to step up. But it allows a coach to move pairs around and have a little extra juice on one of the lines."

Should be fun to watch.

42Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:09 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:I said earlier on this summer, and I'll say it again, Tampa Bay is a guarantee playoff team.

I'll take that bet. If EVERYTHING works out the way they planned it, then they'll be in the fight for 8th - and I would lay money down that they take our spot - but, regardless of the course the Lightning have taken, expecting them to jump from second last to a playoff spot because of the additions of Ohlund, Hedman, Foster and Tanguay might be a stretch.

First, they need to figure out if Mike Smith is 100% over his concussion issues - because he didn't even tell them last time. Second, is Tanguay now even more nervous about high traffic areas and the corners since he got smoked? He was a little soft to begin with. Then, is Vinny back to 100%? How much gas does the wonderful, but still a year older St.Louis have? Will Stamkos continue his upward trend and hit 75+ points (I think so personally here), will that D, who's still really young, be able to hold the fort (I do not think so personally).

Ohlund and Hedman are massive additions of course, and I truly think Foster's the steal of the off-season, but they will still be punished on the back end. Targets: Meszaros, Ranger, Hedman first and foremost. Push them a little bit, fatigue them and they'll start to shy away a little. Especially considering the injury plights of Ranger and Meszaros.

I think they'll get there, but I think this season is an 11th or 12th place finish with all the parity in the East. I said before, 6-15 are completely up for grabs.

43Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:31 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Spez...you left Matt Walker out of the equation.

And you obviously don't remember how tough Tocchet played. The Bolts 'soft' next season? Don't count on it.

44Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He smoked "Special Ed" for sure, but Jovanovski had his arms down, both hands on his stick. It's not difficult to pummel someone when they are not putting up a fight. I would say Walker got an instigator for that one.

45Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:10 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:He smoked "Special Ed" for sure, but Jovanovski had his arms down, both hands on his stick. It's not difficult to pummel someone when they are not putting up a fight. I would say Walker got an instigator for that one.

Net-net, Walker nailed Jovo. He's plying his trade in TB now. Trespassers have been warned.
:^^^^:

46Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I'll have to disagree with Spez on this one. I have Tampa figured in for 5 or 6th

47Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:59 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, although SD slotted them 11/12, he also said that 6-15 are completely up for grabs. In other words, he would not be surprised if they finished 6, but not so much because of what they do as much as what else happens with the other teams. Let's face it, every team in the East is one significant injury away from finishing out of the playoffs.

48Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report - Page 3 Empty Re: Tanguay signs with Tampa Bay: report Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 am

Tampa should be solid this year and could even challenge for top spot in that division. Smith is a really solid goaltender, their defense is better, stil a huge question mark, and Vinny will probably bounce back with St Louis. Stamkos is also another year older and a yer wiser. No issue's putting that team in the playoffs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum