GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fantasy help

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fantasy help Empty Fantasy help Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:01 pm

I know this is a little off of thread, but I'm looking for some assistance. Some friends of Dawg's have been in a rotisserie hockey pool for a long long time. They use excel spreadsheets to track the league, and I recently volunteered to use my flex programming to take them into the 21st century.

part of what I want to do is update their pool and give them a variety of non traditional stats to choose from. The issue is aside from the basic stats I can't find anywhere that you can download a full league wide set of stats for things like blocked shots, hits, face off %..etc as well as the traditional ones.

Anyone know of a place to download these types of stats on a week by week basis?

2Fantasy help Empty Re: Fantasy help Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:54 pm

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

Dawg's Wife wrote:I know this is a little off of thread, but I'm looking for some assistance. Some friends of Dawg's have been in a rotisserie hockey pool for a long long time. They use excel spreadsheets to track the league, and I recently volunteered to use my flex programming to take them into the 21st century.

part of what I want to do is update their pool and give them a variety of non traditional stats to choose from. The issue is aside from the basic stats I can't find anywhere that you can download a full league wide set of stats for things like blocked shots, hits, face off %..etc as well as the traditional ones.

Anyone know of a place to download these types of stats on a week by week basis?

nhl.com tracks hits, face off % and I'm pretty sure blocked shots as well... or upon further research not blocked shots...

not sure what other non-traditional stats you'd be looking for,

i guess downloadability is another issue... but hey, at least NHL.com keeps stats...

i used to know of a site that tracked like every stat imaginable, but I can't recall it right now... when I do, i'll be sure to tell you

edit: anyhow, apparently NHL.com does keep track of all kinds of stats... blocked shots, missed shots, give aways, take aways etc...

3Fantasy help Empty Re: Fantasy help Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They do blocked shots for sure. Problem is, those are interactive stats, and DW is looking to download them. You could do it in a script -- grab the HTML page and parse out the stats. Others have done it, I'm sure.

For blocked shots, select the "HITS - Players" from the Report pulldown.

4Fantasy help Empty Re: Fantasy help Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:They do blocked shots for sure. Problem is, those are interactive stats, and DW is looking to download them. You could do it in a script -- grab the HTML page and parse out the stats. Others have done it, I'm sure.

For blocked shots, select the "HITS - Players" from the Report pulldown.

someone smarter than me could surely find a way to parse the scripting code and tap into the database directly, no?

5Fantasy help Empty Re: Fantasy help Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Dawg's Wife wrote:I know this is a little off of thread, but I'm looking for some assistance. Some friends of Dawg's have been in a rotisserie hockey pool for a long long time. They use excel spreadsheets to track the league, and I recently volunteered to use my flex programming to take them into the 21st century.

I am in tons of pools and I would love to help you out, but your question is more of a computer related question. I am as dense as they come when it comes to computers. I copied your post in an email to my buddies and they are unsure themselves. I guess we all just follow hockey and not the computer side of it.

Your list will be of value to Dawg (I take it he was a poster here before and I am starting to piece together your sources, shhhhh!) and many others, but I tried my best to help. I have come up shooting blanks though. Sorry. Thumbs Down

6Fantasy help Empty Re: Fantasy help Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:24 am

Thanks guys,

I have a script that actually loggs onto nhl.com specifically the stats machine page which has hits and blocked shots and pulls all the stats, then cycyles to page 2 and continues.

This script works fine, the problem is NHL.com sees this accessing of the pages every Monday Morning doing the same thing and blocks access. They know what is going on.

So what I'm looking for is a company that similar to LLC in the united states has the rights to distribute the stats. Dawg's friends will pay for the service, but good luck finding one that provides non standard NHL stats.

7Fantasy help Empty Re: Fantasy help Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:40 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Dawg's Wife wrote:Thanks guys,

I have a script that actually loggs onto nhl.com specifically the stats machine page which has hits and blocked shots and pulls all the stats, then cycyles to page 2 and continues.

This script works fine, the problem is NHL.com sees this accessing of the pages every Monday Morning doing the same thing and blocks access. They know what is going on.

So what I'm looking for is a company that similar to LLC in the united states has the rights to distribute the stats. Dawg's friends will pay for the service, but good luck finding one that provides non standard NHL stats.

Can you not use a proxy? Dynamic IP vs Static IP?

8Fantasy help Empty Re: Fantasy help Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:42 am

Likely, but I really don't want to run the risk that they stop producing HTML and start putting it out in PDF format or gif even. At least at this point I have a method to get the data...I also don't want to get into a copyright fight with them.

I'm also checking with Dawg to see if he can get me a place to get the stats, but that may be crossing the line.

9Fantasy help Empty Re: Fantasy help Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just out of curiosity, did you check Yahoo! pools to see if they support those stats? You could then enter the pool (free) and get the scoring done there. Or maybe OfficePools.com (costs a little, not much) have those stats?

10Fantasy help Empty Re: Fantasy help Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Yeah, they don't.

Further check this out..the company who maintains the statistics for the NHL and in turn Yahoo is LLC. They don't control the stats for Canada, that is a company out of ottawa who redistributes them to media outlets.

FIrst they don't supply the stats for non media outlets and the cost is in the thousands of dollars..I'm going to call just to check it out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum