GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heatley's silence "surprises" Clouston

+2
davetherave
shabbs
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Heatley's silence "surprises" Clouston Empty Heatley's silence "surprises" Clouston Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:27 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More on the Heatley saga...

Source: http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/07/23/10239871.html

Disgruntled winger Dany Heatley won’t be in town this weekend for linemate Jason Spezza’s wedding.

While Heatley is looking for a divorce from the Senators, coach Cory Clouston said he’s keeping the lines of communication open.

There hasn’t been any contact since the exit meeting in April between Clouston and Heatley, who has asked for a trade, reportedly because he wasn’t happy with the way he was used by Clouston, among other things.

“Yeah, it’s a little bit surprising,” Clouston said Thursday of the lack of communication. “I’m willing to listen and talk to anybody, but no, nothing has changed (since the draft a month ago, the last time Clouston spoke on the topic). I really don’t know what else to say, to be honest.”

If the Senators can’t find a trade to Heatley’s liking, Clouston said he won’t have a problem welcoming back the sniper.

“Whatever cards we’re dealt, I’ll work with whether that’s with or without Dany. It doesn’t matter who comes through that dressing room door. We’re going to try and make them a better player and make them into a better team.”

There is a deal out there with the Oilers, which Heatley has put on the back burner by exercising his no-movement clause, waiting to see if a destination more to his liking comes along. There have been rumours the Sharks remain interested, but they would have to clear room for Heatley’s $7.5-million (all terms US) cap hit.

Reports out of Edmonton have the Oilers, their patience waning, but still interested, sending a video package to Heatley the other day in a last-ditch attempt to woo him. Maybe the package includes some zippy highlights of Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagne and a video shout-out from new goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin (“Hey, Dan, we’ll have something in common: The Oilers were the only teams that wanted us!”)

If a video package from Senators fans was to show up on Heatley’s doorstep, it would probably include classic remakes like The Silence of the Lamb, The Departed, Unforgiven, Good Deal Hunting (starring GM Bryan Murray) and The Heatley Ultimatum.

Slap Shot would have to be in there, too, if for nothing else but when goaltender Denis Lemieux asks, “Ned, what’s echanger in English?”

Good times.

The Heatley saga, though there has been little hard news lately, has legs.

NHLPA executive director Paul Kelly was asked for his take by Edmonton radio station CHED.

“I think that this has been kind of twisted in a negative way, which is unfortunate for Dany. I think he’s just a victim of a bad set of circumstances,” said Kelly.

“While it is true that he requested a trade, it was not Dany Heatley or his agent that made that fact public. I think Dany’s been unfairly treated by the media and by the (Senators) organization.”

Okay, so we know which side Kelly is on. He knows who signs his paycheques.

But, c’mon. It’s hard to twist a guy asking for a trade into a positive thing.

Heatley a victim? He started this mess.

Does anybody — Kelly or anybody in the Heatley camp — really believe he could have asked for a trade and had it remain private? Murray was given a tentative list of about eight teams when he received Heatley’s letter requesting a trade. Murray called them all almost immediately and just about every other team in the league since. Of course word of Heatley’s demand was going to leak out.

“Unfairly treated?” All Senators owner Eugene Melnyk has done is pay Heatley $14 million US for what shakes out as a season’s worth of work.

If Heatley finally gets his divorce, can Senators fans file for alimony?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

"Tom and Jerry"!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's something actually worth reading:

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/07/spezza-wedding.html

I know that several DGB readers are planning to attend this weekend's
ceremony. So to help avoid any embarrassment, here's a handy etiquette
guide. Feel free to print it out and take it with you.

No matter how adorable he looks in his little tuxedo, DO NOT tell Cory Clouston that you're sure he'll do a great job as ring boy.

DO NOT
linger and stare at Wade Redden as he hands out programs at the front
door, even though it will be the first time you've seen him actually do
anything in two years.

If you see a hockey player who's sobbing and crying constantly, DO NOT assume that they're overcome with the emotion of the ceremony. It could also be Sidney Crosby.

When Bryan Murray is invited up to do the traditional readings from Ephesians, Colossians and Ecclesiastes, DO put on your raincoat.

When Spezza makes his vow to remain forever faithful, DO NOT laugh when Daniel Alfredsson leans over and whispers "I guarantee it".

DO
be understanding if there's confusion on the groom's side during the
exchange of rings. Remember, they're Ottawa Senators -- none of them
have ever seen a ring before.

When the minister delivers his sermon on the importance of honoring commitments, DO NOT
interrupt him to point out that the phrase "overpaid, one-eyed,
gap-toothed, cherry picking glory boy" does not actually appear in the
bible.

If you see Brian Burke at the reception, DO alert security. He wasn't invited, he just automatically shows up anywhere he thinks there might be a live microphone.

DO NOT get stuck behind Kyle Wellwood in the buffet line. This isn't really etiquette, but it will prevent you from starving to death.

Occasional place setting mixups are to be expected at a crowded reception. DO NOT make a big deal out of the fact that everyone has a cup except Marian Hossa.

No matter how nice his tuxedo looks, DO NOT ask Mike Comrie which ventriloquist supply store he got it at.

If you are seated next to Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood, DO NOT repeatedly refer to her as "the poor man's Jessica Simpson". One time is enough.

If the bride informs you that they're planning an extended honeymoon in August, DO NOT
create an awkward situation by turning to Spezza and saying "Wait,
won't that interfere with you attending the Canadian Olympic team
training camp?"

If you run into Martin Gerber at the reception, DO NOT ask him if he enjoyed the ceremony. He's actually just there to bus tables.

If you are Eugene Melnyk, no matter how much you want to create a sense of excitement and team spirit, DO NOT hire the gladiator guy to stand next to Spezza's honeymoon bed shouting "RISE UP!"

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

"Occasional place setting mixups are to be expected at a crowded reception. DO NOT make a big deal out of the fact that everyone has a cup except Marian Hossa."

Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The only one I didn't really think was appropriate was:

If you are seated next to Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood, DO NOT repeatedly refer to her as "the poor man's Jessica Simpson". One time is enough.

Turn it around -- refer to Jessica Simpson as the poor man's Carrie Underwood -- and I'd be OK with it.

7Heatley's silence "surprises" Clouston Empty Re: Heatley's silence "surprises" Clouston Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Simpson and Underwood are poor men's Miranda Lambert Smile

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Tuk Tuk Goose wrote:Simpson and Underwood are poor men's Miranda Lambert Smile

Like any one of us would could say no to any of them ...

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

I'd say no to Carrie, but mainly because she's killing country music Smile

10Heatley's silence "surprises" Clouston Empty Re: Heatley's silence "surprises" Clouston Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:11 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If you run into Martin Gerber at the reception, DO NOT ask him if he enjoyed the ceremony. He's actually just there to bus tables.

DO NOT get stuck behind Kyle Wellwood in the buffet line. This isn't really etiquette, but it will prevent you from starving to death.

Laughing3

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum