GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators 09/10 pleasant surprises.

+8
PTFlea
asq2
wprager
Devo
SDH89
SensGal
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I will just be focusing on what I viewed as pleasant surprises and let someone else go into an in-depth review of the season including disappointments if they like.

Drafting Jared Cowen - I know he had the injury issue but this guy, before the injury, was projected top 5. To snag him at ninth was a very pleasant surprise. I honestly would have been happy with either him or MPS and to have both still on the board when Ottawa picked was quite the nice problem to have. I am very excited to see what he can do for Ottawa when he finally makes the big club.

The Dany Heatley trade demand. After a disappointing season he decided he wanted out and the pleasant surprise out of this was that Murray, despite having his hands tied, was able to obtain Michalek, Cheechoo (I know he disappointed but we knew that was a realistic possibility), and a draft pick. Michalek had a down year in terms of point totals but, for me, he showed enough with his 20 + goals and his style of play for me to be pleasantly surprised and excited for 2010/11. It also doesn't hurt that the trade looks far less lopsided when the "50 goal man" doesn't even hit 40.

Matt Carkner - This guy was more than a pleasant surprise. He stepped right in and took over the tough guy role and could play well. The perfect 5/6 D man. Not only that but, he was able to chip in offensively on occasion. The guy topped off his season with a triple OT winner in game 5 for cryin' out loud.

Chris Campoli - I had to put him in here even though he started the season as a disappointment in my eyes. I fully expected him to pick up where he left off in 08/09 but that didn't happen. I put him in here because of the fact that he managed to turn his season around at the most critical time of the year down the stretch and in the playoffs. I'd say Campoli was one of the most consistently good D men vs. the Pens in round 1 personally. Here's hoping he can carry it into next season this time.

Erik Karlsson - I thought Karlsson would be good but there's no way I thought he'd turn it on like he did down the stretch and potting goals like he did. He stepped into the number 1 D man role quite seamlessly and only barely started to show his rookie self in his first playoff round of his career. With a healthy lineup and a more appropriate role I suspect we'll see a dominating performance all season long.

Peter Regin - Wow. Just wow. This guy got a chance on the first line and stuck there. No ups and downs once he got on the first line and produced. He freakin' scored his first playoff goal in his first playoff game and followed it up with his second in as many playoff games. If not for the called off goal in game three it would have been three for three in his first three playoff games. This guy has set the bar so high that there's bound to be some let down next season. I certainly am willing to give him a tonne of slack and won't be surprised if he's not putting up numbers like he did down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Pascal Leclaire - I know people will say the jury's still out on this guy but lets not forget the start this guy had. He played some very good hockey at the beginning of the season and stole some games for us. I think the injuries took there toll on him and he just couldn't find his form. He waited patiently and it took a desperation move for him to get another chance this season but, playing in the Senators longest game ever he was dynamite. Even in game 6 he was quite good. It could still go either way but I personally think that one triple OT game put Leclaire into the pleasant surprise category for me.

Brian Elliott - I knew he could be a pretty solid goalie for us this year but to get NHL stars of the week as many times as he did was amazing. To go from struggling to rattling off 9 straight wins is just off the charts good. Sure he struggled in the playoffs but he wasn't supposed to be our number 1 and he's still getting his feet wet in the NHL. Assuming Leclaire can pull it together, I know I've said this before, then we'll have a very solid tandem for next season.

Matt Cullen - He had some struggles coming in to Ottawa but all is forgiven after the performance he put on in the six games year vs. the Pens. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're going to over pay for anyone then over pay for this guy. As much as I don't want to say good bye to A-Train his asking price, according to TSN, of 5 Million is far too much and in fact 4 Million is too much. Re-sign Sutton if you can and go from there.

Zack Smith - Despite giving up his job through a poor training camp, he went down to Bingo with the right attitude and stormed his way back onto this team. Even with two healthy bodies ready to step in he still secured a playoff 4th line roster spot. He looked like the perfect playoff 4th liner out there for the most part and again has put himself in a position where it's his roster spot to lose. I'd love to see what he can do in a full season with the big club.

- Unknown Author

I think that's a pretty good way to put things in terms of those guys. I think you can throw Sutton in there, Karlsson played the best hockey of his life with that beast standing beside him. You skate with an extra stride when you have a guy like that beside you and you're only 5'10, 165 lbs.

I think Mike Fisher having the year he did was also a bit of a surprise. I would have also included that entire 3rd line, the best 3rd line in hockey.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good point about the third line. Fisher was a surprise at the start of the season for sure. Sutton was a nice surprise after Kuba went down and as you said probably made the difference for Karlsson. From that Sun article you posted in the other thread it looks like Sutton won't be considered for re-signing which is really too bad. I could handle losing A-Train if we keep Sutton. If we lose Sutton too then do we see Cowen next season?

- Unknown Author

we'll see about that sun article, I dont buy everything that was in there and that sutton part is no exception.

If Sutton and A Train both leave though, I think Gryba almost becomes a lock for next year.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:we'll see about that sun article, I dont buy everything that was in there and that sutton part is no exception.

If Sutton and A Train both leave though, I think Gryba almost becomes a lock for next year.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Murray walk away from Sutton and Cullen as it seems to be his MO. If it doesn't get you to the playoffs or out of the first round then he cuts bait and tries someone else.

I personally don't agree with it and would like to see both of them back in Ottawa.

- Unknown Author

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

And the other spot goes to a FA, Lee, or Cowen/Wiercioch or a surprise?

Lots of spots could be available despite the number of contracts the Sens have. It'll be hard for Smith to make the team with a full healthy roster, and I want him to make the team.

Gryba, Gryba, Gryba, I think that's you're "surprise" there Dash. That's the guy out of all the D men prospects that has the best shot next year.

People should start to do their research on him.

SensGal

Rookie
Rookie

Great write up. I am super happy with the way this year had turned out. As well as, the great things to look forward to for next year. I am excited and sooo proud of the Sens, especially the younger guys. Its great!

GO SENS GO!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:And the other spot goes to a FA, Lee, or Cowen/Wiercioch or a surprise?

Lots of spots could be available despite the number of contracts the Sens have. It'll be hard for Smith to make the team with a full healthy roster, and I want him to make the team.

Of the players the Sens have available for RFA or UFA status.

Campoli - Easy decision and should be cheap based on his regular season numbers.
Regin - See Campoli
Winchester - See Campoli
Foligno - Re-sign then decide if he's trade bait or not. Should be cheap based on regular season numbers.
Cody Bass - Easy decision. Very cheap re-signing with call-up potential.
A-Train - Trade him. No way you go over 4M per as a cap hit.
Sutton - Re-sign if you can because he can insulate Karlsson.
Cullen - Please re-sign at 3M x 3
Donovan - It's been nice but it's time for you to go.

Of the players the Sens have on contract in 2010/11
Cheechoo - sealed his fate with his one playoff game. Buy him out.
Shannon - Send him to Bingo and use him as a call-up if needed.

- Unknown Author

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Gryba, Gryba, Gryba, I think that's you're "surprise" there Dash. That's the guy out of all the D men prospects that has the best shot next year.

People should start to do their research on him.

Phillips-Karlsson
Kuba-Gryba
Campoli-Carkner

Ah, you're right - I was including Gryba already and thought there was another spot up for grabs but I was leaving out Kuba. So that'w what it could look like. Gives us 3 right handed players, and it's a solid mix of offensive and defensive skills in each pairing.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Here's what I'd like to see on D assuming we don't re-sign Sutton.

Phillips - Karlsson
Kuba - Campoli
Gryba - Carkner
Cowen

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

With a first PP unit of Fisher, Kovalev, Alfredsson, Karlsson, Campoli. Sorry Kuba but you need to learn to shoot before you get on my first unit PP. Nod

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Dash wrote:And the other spot goes to a FA, Lee, or Cowen/Wiercioch or a surprise?

Of the players the Sens have available for RFA or UFA status.

Campoli - Easy decision and should be cheap based on his regular season numbers.
Regin - See Campoli
Winchester - See Campoli
Foligno - Re-sign then decide if he's trade bait or not. Should be cheap based on regular season numbers.
Cody Bass - Easy decision. Very cheap re-signing with call-up potential.
A-Train - Trade him. No way you go over 4M per as a cap hit.
Sutton - Re-sign if you can because he can insulate Karlsson.
Cullen - Please re-sign at 3M x 3
Donovan - It's been nice but it's time for you to go.

Of the players the Sens have on contract in 2010/11
Cheechoo - sealed his fate with his one playoff game. Buy him out.
Shannon - Send him to Bingo and use him as a call-up if needed.

I think Cheechoo does indeed get bought out. That's 2 mil off the cap that they can use to resign Cullen. Shannon, he prob just gets waived and a team that is looking for a short term fix picks him up at league min.

whats the status on Kovalev.. does he have a NTC?
Why not trade Foligno? especially if he can get you an upgrade top 6? to be he's a 3rd liner and I wouldn't touch Kelly, Ruutu and Neil

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DirtyDave wrote:whats the status on Kovalev.. does he have a NTC?
Why not trade Foligno? especially if he can get you an upgrade top 6? to be he's a 3rd liner and I wouldn't touch Kelly, Ruutu and Neil

I personally would hang onto Foligno a little longer. He redeemed himself some what when he moved to Spezza's line. He's still young.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum