GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ballard signs 6 year extention with Panthers

+3
Phoenix30
jamvan
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/

6 years, 4ish miller per year. Good deal.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/

Too much, but the length may make up for it. Management is overspending on potential and the league is going to get into severe trouble really fast if this keeps up. Ballard has potential, but in no way is he a $4 million dollar man yet...come on!!!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:Too much, but the length may make up for it. Management is overspending on potential and the league is going to get into severe trouble really fast if this keeps up. Ballard has potential, but in no way is he a $4 million dollar man yet...come on!!!

I like the money and the term to be honest. The more I see of him, the more I like him as a player. Like Meszaros + +. I think this benefits the Panthers greatly and lets them deal Bouwmeester for a top 3 forward.

I still think the Panthers got fleeced on that trade though. *Barf*

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I'm thinking that with McCabe and now Ballard in the fold for the next few years they may be planning on moving ahead without Bouwmeester after this season....I wondering when he will get dealt.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:

I'm thinking that with McCabe and now Ballard in the fold for the next few years they may be planning on moving ahead without Bouwmeester after this season....I wondering when he will get dealt.

Hmm, I confess, I hadn't thought of that.

I hope you're right. Have I mentioned how much I'd love to see Bouw in a Sens jersey? I just don't know if we have enough to offer in comparison to other teams. I imagine the asking price would at least start with one of Vermette, Foligno, or Zubov, plus a 1st, and then go from there... whether we'd have enough, or we'd be willing to pay it, I don't know...

There's no question, tho', that Bouw is exactly what this team needs to add, alongside a real goaltender, that is.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

I hope you're right. Have I mentioned how much I'd love to see Bouw in a Sens jersey? I just don't know if we have enough to offer in comparison to other teams. I imagine the asking price would at least start with one of Vermette, Foligno, or Zubov, plus a 1st, and then go from there... whether we'd have enough, or we'd be willing to pay it, I don't know...

There's no question, tho', that Bouw is exactly what this team needs to add, alongside a real goaltender, that is.

I think one of our 1st will come into play but it won't be until Murray gets a better idea of the position of those picks come draft day. I suspect Martin will hold out until draft day to max his return if they are out of a play off spot. One thought I had was if Pickard or any of our other young d-man in the ranks moves along fairly well this season then a deal for Bouwmeester may center around a prospect, a pick, and I hate to say it but A-train. If A-train was included I would hope it would be enough for us to keep our pick. If Martin pushed a 1st he would need to include a prospect or a pick as well.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
jamvan wrote:Too much, but the length may make up for it. Management is overspending on potential and the league is going to get into severe trouble really fast if this keeps up. Ballard has potential, but in no way is he a $4 million dollar man yet...come on!!!
SO you don't mind paying for potential. SO then the Sens can expect to pay Lee $4 million in 2 years. This is the problem with management today. I don't know how you don't see it as a problem Heater? I'm not knocking his skill or potential, but I am knocking the awarded money for what he has accomplished.
I like the money and the term to be honest. The more I see of him, the more I like him as a player. Like Meszaros + +. I think this benefits the Panthers greatly and lets them deal Bouwmeester for a top 3 forward.

I still think the Panthers got fleeced on that trade though. *Barf*

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wow! That's quite a gamble on Ballard's 'potential.'

I suppose the argument will go full circle, in that is he worth it now, probably not, but should he continue to progress and develop, that contract may or WILL seem like a good one in 2-3 years...

My oh my, though, my intial reaction at seeing it was wow!!

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

The fact he's a UFA at season's end though takes away from their bargaining power. They can only hope to get some kind of return or risk him walking away (a la Chara).

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have to agree with the argument that the league is setting itself up for trouble with all this money being handed out for potential. IF they don't reach it then the comparables for lower tier players shoots way up. Not good.

Edit: BTW, I had originally said this was a good deal and have since had to re-think it.

Last edited by Cap'n' Clutch on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:
The fact he's a UFA at season's end though takes away from their bargaining power. They can only hope to get some kind of return or risk him walking away (a la Chara).

I don't know if it does. Campbell was in the same situation last year, and he netted Steve Bernier and a 1st in return for Buffalo. Bernier's gone now, so that deal looks like it was cheaper than it was, but it was a steep price at the time. Bernier is young and has lots of potential, and he'll be an RFA for a few more years. Buffulo just didn't like what they saw, I guess, at least not enough make it a priority to get him signed before he became open to offer sheets.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I have to agree with the argument that the league is setting itself up for trouble with all this money being handed out for potential. IF they don't reach it then the comparables for lower tier players shoots way up. Not good.

Big, BIG trouble indeed!

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Phoenix30 wrote:I think one of our 1st will come into play but it won't be until Murray gets a better idea of the position of those picks come draft day. I suspect Martin will hold out until draft day to max his return if they are out of a play off spot. One thought I had was if Pickard or any of our other young d-man in the ranks moves along fairly well this season then a deal for Bouwmeester may center around a prospect, a pick, and I hate to say it but A-train. If A-train was included I would hope it would be enough for us to keep our pick. If Martin pushed a 1st he would need to include a prospect or a pick as well.

Would it really be worth it to give up A-train plus, to be getting J-Bo?

Considering what A-train brings to the table, both in terms of defensive stability, and shutdown skill, and in terms of quiet leadership, I'd be hesitant to let him go, almost at any price. This is a guy that leaves everything out there, and that's worth a ton come playoff time. (And even more given the state of our goaltending)

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I have to agree with the argument that the league is setting itself up for trouble with all this money being handed out for potential. IF they don't reach it then the comparables for lower tier players shoots way up. Not good.

Edit: BTW, I had originally said this was a good deal and have since had to re-think it.

Let's put it this way, Ballard is a better D-man than Meszaros, pretty easily actually, and at the end of this 6 years, he'll only be 31. 4 million when guys like Mike Streit and Ron Hainsey get more is a very nice price for a top pairing D-man.

I think this guy is better than we all think.

The deal I can go back on liking might actually be Eric Staal. Did they need to pay him 8.2 million a year? Why wasn't he locked up back when Spezza and Heatley were locked up?

Makes Spezza and Heatley look like the absolute deals of the century.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:

Would it really be worth it to give up A-train plus, to be getting J-Bo?

Considering what A-train brings to the table, both in terms of defensive stability, and shutdown skill, and in terms of quiet leadership, I'd be hesitant to let him go, almost at any price. This is a guy that leaves everything out there, and that's worth a ton come playoff time. (And even more given the state of our goaltending)

My personal opinion is absolutely not. I would however, love to pair Bouwmeester and A-train.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum