GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nash re-signs with Columbus

+3
PTFlea
davetherave
wprager
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Empty Re: Nash re-signs with Columbus Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:11 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Oh, the cap's going down. There's no doubt about it.

You mean when Prager replaces Bettman as Commish? Wink

So I take it I have your vote.

Prager, based on everything you have shown the Members of GM Hockey Fourm, there is every reason to believe you will be a *TERRIFIC* NHL Commissioner.

17Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Empty Re: Nash re-signs with Columbus Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:13 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:Excellent.

My sentiments exactly. And now the Leafs can't have him and that makes me even more happy.

That was my reason in the first place. :^^^^:

I suppose they can always hold out hope for a trade. Sarcasm

EDIT: Brian Burke press conference: "I want Rick Nash" Wink

18Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Empty Re: Nash re-signs with Columbus Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:13 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:Excellent.

My sentiments exactly. And now the Leafs can't have him and that makes me even more happy.

That was my reason in the first place. :^^^^:

I suppose they can always hold out hope for a trade. Sarcasm

Yeah, somewhere in that 8 years, they might have a chance. :^^^^: Ahhhhh!

19Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Empty Re: Nash re-signs with Columbus Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:01 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

Does anyone have a picture of Burke's face when Schenn was drafted by the Kings this year because I'm sure he made the exact same face when he heard about this signing?

20Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Empty Re: Nash re-signs with Columbus Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:42 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Mojo wrote:Does anyone have a picture of Burke's face when Schenn was drafted by the Kings this year because I'm sure he made the exact same face when he heard about this signing?

not sure about any pictures, but I found some videos that I have been unable to check, youtube doesn't work for me here, but they might show his face after Brayden Schenn was picked by LA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDkvuuBtf8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQFIfuR5r7E

21Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Empty Re: Nash re-signs with Columbus Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:12 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Burke12

Yup, that's the one!

22Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Empty Re: Nash re-signs with Columbus Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:34 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Mojo wrote:Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Burke12

Yup, that's the one!

he he he I love that look, he wants to set someone ablaze with that look. suck it up burke, your team stinks.

23Nash re-signs with Columbus - Page 2 Empty Re: Nash re-signs with Columbus Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:53 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Here's what Leafs chronicler, the sardonic and often ironic Howard Berger, had to say, in suitably sardonic--can we say sarcastic?--fashion:

FANTASYLAND LOSES ANOTHER
Howard Berger, Fan590.com, July 4, 2009

TORONTO (July 4) – How dare Rick Nash turn his back on the Mighty Blue & White!

Talk about an ungrateful ingrate. After all the Maple Leafs and the city of Toronto have done for this guy, he snubs his home town and signs an eight-year contract extension with the Ohio State Blue Jackets. Having formed his entire team-building strategy around landing Nash as a free agent next summer, where now does Brian Burke turn for a savior?

After exhaustive research, yours truly obtained a transcript of the negotiations between Nash’s agent, Joe Resnick, and Blue Jackets’ general manager Scott Howson:

Resnick: “Scott, my client wants eight years and $62.5 million to stay away from the Maple Leafs.”

Nash: “I’m going to Toronto.”

Howson: “Jeez, Joe, that’s a long time and an awful lot of money…”

Resnick: “C’mon, stop farting around, Scott, I’ve got Burkie waiting on the other line and we’re ready to commit to the Leafs for next summer.”

Nash: “I’m going to Toronto.”

Howson: “Damn! I know that every free agent in this league is dying to play for the Leafs, particularly now that Doug MacLean lives in the Big Smoke. But, how do I explain your contract demands to my owner?”

Nash (Daydreaming): “Kensington Market… Ontario Place… Nathan Philips Square… The Bridle Path…”

Resnick: “Listen to my client mumbling, Scott. Better hurry up. Rick wants to ensure there is space for him on that Toronto juggernaut. Burkie’s waiting… I’m telling you, he’s waiting.”

Howson: “You S.O.B., Joe. How can you pressure me like this in my second year on the job?!”

Nash (singing): “The Maple Leaf, Our Emblem Dear, The Maple Leaf Forever. God Save our Queen And Heaven Bless, The Maple Leaf Forever.”

Resnick: “You hear the song, don’t you Scott? I’m warning you, the lure of that perennial powerhouse is overcoming my client. He can’t take much more of this. What’s your bloody decision? We have to know… NOW!”

Nash (practically shouting): “Oh, this is too exciting. Just think… a Brampton boy like me alongside
John Mitchell, Jamal Mayers, Nikolai Kulemin, Anton Stralman, Colton Orr, Justin Pogge! Legends, I tell you, legends! C’mon Joe, let’s forget this Columbus mess.”

Howson (tortured): “No, no, wait. I can’t afford to lose your client, Joe. He’ll put the Leafs right over the top. But, the money… and all those years…”

Nash (daydreaming again): Brian and Ronnie… Ronnie and Brian… Brian and Ronnie… Ronnie and…”

Resnick: “Scotty????”

Howson: “Okay… fine! You got the money, you got the term. We’re keeping you right here, Rick… away from your beloved Blue & White.”

Nash (wiping his sweaty brow): “Oh, thank you Scott. The mere inkling of having to play for that Godforsaken loser! Tell Burkie to go away.”

So, Heaven’s team in the NHL loses another. Only three short years after
Joe Thornton, Jarome Iginla and Vincent Lecavalier reluctantly thumbed their noses at the Blue & White. Oh, you remember that scenario, don’t you? It was right after the lockout. John Ferguson used the petty-cash carton at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment to sign free agents Eric Lindros, Jason Allison and Alexander Khavanov.

“Excellent decision… very prudent,” exclaimed Leafs Nation, along with a columnist at Canada’s national newspaper who should have known better. “Save money now and blow the bank on the dazzling crop of eligibles next year. That’s how you build a team.”

It was hardly a shock, of course, when
Andrew Raycroft, Hal Gill and Pavel Kubina became Ferguson’s prize acquisitions the following summer… months after Thornton, Iginla and Lecavalier had been locked up by their respective teams.

But, lessons don't come easy in a deprived hockey market.

Next up for the Leafs Nation? Why,
Ilya Kovalchuk, of course.

E-mail howard.berger@rci.rogers.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum