GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hockey Canada unveils list of invitees to camp

+2
asq2
SensFan71
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

rooneypoo wrote:I wouldn't read too much into this. No Steven Stamkos. No Marc Savard either. Guess he's not elite either, eh?

It's a question of team needs as much as the player's skill: you only need 3 offensive centremen, at the most, after all. There's no question Spezza takes a backseat to guys like Crosby and Thornton. But why you'd take Andy McDonald over Spezza or Savard is more than puzzling.

Not really, to me anyways. He is a responsible center who is a PPG player for the most part who is a better all around player then both of those guys. I've been blowing McDonalds horn for a long time saying that he might be the most under rated player in the league.

The Wings being in the same division has him knows exactly how good of a player that guy is. One of the best centers in the game, its good he got a little recognition.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Meh. I like him, but I don't think he's anything too special. Useful guy, but not a true #1 centre. Great #2 centre.

Anyway, with Crosby, Thornton, and Lecavalier ahead of him as offensive centremen, McDonald won't make this team. Not unless they start making centres play wing, which they normally don't do.

It not his fault, or Spezza's or Savard's or Stamkos's. There's only room for 3 big offensive centreman on this team, with maybe one spare. No one will deny that it ought to be ahead of those guys.

Sakic got the invite, too. He's got the leg up on all those guys just because of who he is and what he's done.

rooneypoo wrote:Meh. I like him, but I don't think he's anything too special. Useful guy, but not a true #1 centre. Great #2 centre.

Anyway, with Crosby, Thornton, and Lecavalier ahead of him as offensive centremen, McDonald won't make this team. Not unless they start making centres play wing, which they normally don't do.

It not his fault, or Spezza's or Savard's or Stamkos's. There's only room for 3 big offensive centreman on this team, with maybe one spare. No one will deny that it ought to be ahead of those guys.

Sakic got the invite, too. He's got the leg up on all those guys just because of who he is and what he's done.

The guy won a cup and a number 1 center. I dont know what to tell you at this point. He is the number 1 center in St Louis, a playoff team. When McDOnald came back from injury this past year St Louis took off and made an unreal run into 6th spot.

Stamkos has tons of time so there is really no issue there, but Spezza and Savard were left on that list for a reason. Spezza was closer to making the team in 2006 then he is in 2010.

ANyways, McDOnald is very much a number 1 center. If he played in a hockey hot bed he wouldnt fly so low under the radar.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Meh. I like him, but I don't think he's anything too special. Useful guy, but not a true #1 centre. Great #2 centre.

The guy won a cup and a number 1 center. I dont know what to tell you at this point. He is the number 1 center in St Louis, a playoff team. When McDOnald came back from injury this past year St Louis took off and made an unreal run into 6th spot.

Stamkos has tons of time so there is really no issue there, but Spezza and Savard were left on that list for a reason. Spezza was closer to making the team in 2006 then he is in 2010.

ANyways, McDOnald is very much a number 1 center. If he played in a hockey hot bed he wouldnt fly so low under the radar.

What can I say. I just don't agree.

He's too small, for one, and he's not a great faceoff guy. When he won a cup, he did it in a 1a / 1b situation, with he and Selanne and Kunitz, and Getzalf and Perry and Penner. Pretty good situation to be in, you have to confess.

To me, he's closer to Gomez than he is Lecavalier. Leaving Spezza out of the discussion to avoid the tired old argument, I'll just say that I'd take Savard right now over McDonald right now. Long term, you obviously have to go with McDonald, but that's an age / potential thing.

Speedy guy, tho', I grant. And great hands.

Is he an elite player? No, he isnt. Is he a number 1 center? Yes he is. Even if it was 1A/1B in Anahiem, he was sitll number 1 with a 20 year old Getzlaf just finding his way in the NHL. St Louis was a force for 1/2 the year and that was only when McDonald was in the lineup.

I cant say enough about this guy, he isnt elite but I would take him over a Thornton, Spezza, Roy, Savard.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think Spezza is one of the better passers in the league, and on a larger ice surface that skill becomes much more important. A good start to the season, an injury (or two) and he could be there. I won't be running out to buy a Team Canada #91 jersey (btw, who wears what if Sakic, Doan, Thornton and Spezza are all there?) but there's still a chance.

Now, what I would *love*to see happen is that someone from the Sens makes the team (Team Canada, that is) but Heatley is cut.

I would say speed is way more important on a big ice surface then skill. That being said it is being played in Vancouver on NA ice.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Is he an elite player? No, he isnt. Is he a number 1 center? Yes he is. Even if it was 1A/1B in Anahiem, he was sitll number 1 with a 20 year old Getzlaf just finding his way in the NHL. St Louis was a force for 1/2 the year and that was only when McDonald was in the lineup.

I cant say enough about this guy, he isnt elite but I would take him over a Thornton, Spezza, Roy, Savard.

Trust me, I've seen a looooot of Andy McDonald. My STL contingent (Backes, Tkachuk, Oshie, Coliacovo) pretty much single handedly won me the Dobber league pool this year.

Part of our argument who appear to be pure semantics. When I say 'true #1 centre', I have the Lecavaliers of the world in mind: someone who puts up not just close to PPG, but a dominating force who puts up well over PPG. When you say '#1 centre,' you mean a guy who is actually playing that role for his team, and who isn't seriously miscast (ie, Horcoff, Drury, etc.).

I won't comment on Thornton or Spezza. They've obviously been whipping boys for you forever. As for the other guys you mention, tho', I would slot McDonald in right alongside Derek Roy. They're actually really similar players, now that you mention it. Both small, speedy, good hands. Very similar. Except I hate Roy with a passion. Too much of a whiney Wing Dang Doodle.

Yeah, wel I grew up playing against Roy and I hate him too. If you are talking about the elite centers in the game like Vinny, Getzlaf, Crosby, so on, naw, he isnt anywhere near their level.

When you compare him to guys like Spezza and Thonrton, having McDonald up the middle you're team is going to be better all around. If you dont have a number 1 center that can take over and dominate a game on a more then regular basis you need a guy you can count on night in and night out to provide something else besides scoring.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Yeah, wel I grew up playing against Roy and I hate him too. If you are talking about the elite centers in the game like Vinny, Getzlaf, Crosby, so on, naw, he isnt anywhere near their level.

When you compare him to guys like Spezza and Thonrton, having McDonald up the middle you're team is going to be better all around. If you dont have a number 1 center that can take over and dominate a game on a more then regular basis you need a guy you can count on night in and night out to provide something else besides scoring.

So you're saying that, while he doesn't put up quite the same kind of numbers as Spezza and Thornton, McDonald brings more to the table in other departments than either of them? That might be fair, at least of Spezza right now anyway.

Thornton too, he absolutly cannot raise his game unlike a lot of other guys.

McDonald though, another Murray guy.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Yzerman was on the radio and said they had to put some players less skilled to fill different roles. Sums it up I think.

He also said anybody who is not on the list and has a great season next year can still make the team.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:Yzerman was on the radio and said they had to put some players less skilled to fill different roles. Sums it up I think.

He also said anybody who is not on the list and has a great season next year can still make the team.

Thing is, though, no-one ever has. No-one left off the summer development camp has ever made it to the Olympic roster.

Except Iginla

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

RobbyJ wrote:Except Iginla

I only repeated what I'd read in the article. No-one who wasleft off the summer camp roster has ever made it to the playing roster.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

If Spezza can start using his talent to its full potential, Hockey Canada would be ridiculous to leave him off the roster.

I don't care what anyone says, Spezza is a better offensive talent than most of the guys on that camp's roster.

PKC wrote:If Spezza can start using his talent to its full potential, Hockey Canada would be ridiculous to leave him off the roster.

I don't care what anyone says, Spezza is a better offensive talent than most of the guys on that camp's roster.

Not a better player though. A lot of proven winners on that list and thats what it is about.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Small correction -- Roy is a proven whiner.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum