GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada

+2
SensGirl11
davetherave
6 posters

Who covers hockey better?

CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_lcap224%CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_rcap2 24% [ 4 ]
CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_lcap224%CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_rcap2 24% [ 4 ]
CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_lcap20%CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_lcap26%CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_lcap26%CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_lcap20%CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_lcap212%CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_rcap2 12% [ 2 ]
CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_lcap212%CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Vote_rcap2 12% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 9:30 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Who's better at covering our national sport? The Winnipeg Sun's Tim Friesen makes it clear where he stands.

CBC vs TSN for the Cup

By TIM FRIESEN/Winnipeg Sun, 5th May 2009, 2:06am

So far, the best NHL playoff match-up this year has been the slugfest between the broadcasters themselves.

CBC is still the favourite. After all, they brought hockey to the airwaves and have defined our national game, both on and off the ice.

But things can change fast in the playoffs, where momentum is sometimes more important than skill.

TSN started the year with some fancy stick-handing, snatching the Hockey Night in Canada theme song from the clutches of the CBC.

Then, the scrappy sports broadcaster secured the rights to more NHL games than ever before.

Finally, just as the playoffs rolled around, TSN managed to finesse a deal with the NHL leaving CBC broadcast rights to only one Canadian team per conference.

This forced CBC to choose between covering the Flames and the Canucks.

Suddenly Calgary was watching Don Cherry talk about their team between periods of other games.

But as they say, three goal leads are the hardest to hold, especially against a wily veteran team.

As I flipped between CBC and TSN, the difference in broadcast coverage because startlingly clear.

At first blush, TSN simply looked like a farm team full up-and-comers and aging has-beens.

After a few games, however, and the problem became much more clear. The difference between CBC and TSN is national pride.

CBC covers hockey because it's our national game. TSN covers hockey because it's a sport.

ON THE LINE
CBC covers players as they move from Carman and Cole Harbour to the big leagues. TSN covers players as they seek the most goals and highest salaries.

CBC broadcasts to the Canadian whereas TSN broadcasts to the sports fan.
There is a lot on the line here.

Private broadcasters like TSN have been salivating over CBC's lock on the lucrative Saturday night HNIC slot for a long time.

They argue it's unfair that a public broadcaster should get preferential treatment over private ones.

What they fail to mention is that it was CBC that carved the HNIC juggernaut out of the worst TV night of the week.

HNIC dates back to 1931, when hockey games were broadcast Saturday nights on the Canadian National Railway radio network. CBC started televising games in 1952.

HNIC was gospel long before studio executives were pouring over Nielsen ratings.

For many, Saturday night is even more patriotic than Canada Day. That means we want our hockey broadcast to tell us stories about our kids done good. We want to feel that the game is about more than just the players -- it's about the hometown fans as well.

Saturday night needs to do more than just tell us the score. We want each Saturday night to be a clinic on the game itself.

While TSN scored some big goals this season, they haven't seemed to figure out yet that when it comes to hockey, Canadians expect more than just stats and banter.

TSN may have made the highlight reels this year but if they ever want to make it to the Stanley Cup, they're going to need a lot more depth.

---

What do YOU think?

2CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 9:35 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I voted for CBC, if I could vote for 2 it would be CBC and NHLN. NHLN has the BEST highlight packages by far of ANY station. They really go into detail and show you not only the goals but the missed chances and the great plays. You can pretty much miss a game and get the whole story on NHLN. Kudos to them and CBC.

3CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 9:44 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

One of the big issues I have with CBC is they'll never pick up another broadcaster's feed... they always have to have their own feed and control everything about it. TSN will pick up an NBC feed or a VS feed in HD if they can't provide cameras etc... and I'm fine with that.

I've grown up with CBC and HNIC... so there will always be a bias for me towards CBC, but I really have no clear preference... just show me the damn games! HA HA!

4CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 11:04 am

I respect TSN for trying something new with the way it is broadcast, but when I sit back and watch a game, I simply love the tradition that is HNIC. From the camera angles they use (hardly changed over the years) to the producing of the game, to the intermission entertainment ( the 2nd period hotstove is still a favorite of mine).

Until TSN clearly demonstrates a far superior product it's my opinion that CBC is the leader.

5CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Coach's Corner and the Satellite Hotstove are definitely things that give CBC that extra edge and uniqueness...

6CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CBC hands down in my view; although like Sensgirl, if I miss a game, I am very partial to NHLN personally for their NHL on the Fly segments.

7CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 12:28 pm

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

Until the sens (or habs for that matter) are broadcast nationally on Saturday nights - I cannot support CBC.

Originally I sided with CBC with the hockey theme (too much money) - but the new songs annoys me and TSN (CTV) is a lot smarter than I am.

And enough with Bob already.

8CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hayden wrote:Until the sens (or habs for that matter) are broadcast nationally on Saturday nights - I cannot support CBC.

Originally I sided with CBC with the hockey theme (too much money) - but the new songs annoys me and TSN (CTV) is a lot smarter than I am.

And enough with Bob already.

That's a great point Hayden.
Personally, I hate the 'new' version of the HNIC, and while TSN is trying awfully hard to take the lead, in my view, they need better analysts and perhaps they should remember the old saying, 'sometimes less is more.'

9CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 1:57 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

If TSN axed Dreger, McKenzie and McGuire...just think how much they could improve...

CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tsn-th11

10CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Great point Dave. MacKenzie doesn't annoy NEARLY as much as Dreger and MacGuire; and for the most part, I enjoy Hodge and Duthie; and I ALWAYS have room for Jennifer Hedger. Wink

11CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I went with CBC and Sportsnet but that's because I like Dean Brown and Garry Galley on Sportsnet feeds of Sens games.

- Unknown Author

12CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 2:09 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:Great point Dave. MacKenzie doesn't annoy NEARLY as much as Dreger and MacGuire; and for the most part, I enjoy Hodge and Duthie; and I ALWAYS have room for Jennifer Hedger. Wink

Ah, the lovely Jennifer...seen here (left) in the reality show 'The Lofters'.

CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Jennif10

13CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Empty Re: CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Tue May 05, 2009 2:13 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:
Cronie wrote:Great point Dave. MacKenzie doesn't annoy NEARLY as much as Dreger and MacGuire; and for the most part, I enjoy Hodge and Duthie; and I ALWAYS have room for Jennifer Hedger. Wink

Ah, the lovely Jennifer...seen here (left) in the reality show 'The Lofters'.

CBC Vs. TSN: Hockey Fight in Canada Jennif10

Heh heh. I watched that show...

*shame*

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum