GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Flyers to announce they've signed Emery

+4
beedub
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Flyers to announce they've signed Emery - Page 2 Empty Re: Flyers to announce they've signed Emery Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:05 am

rooneypoo wrote:I've always been a big Emery supporter, and thought he got blamed for a lot of crap here in Ottawa that was beyond him. I hope he takes the opportunity and runs with it.

In fact, I think he will.

I think he probably will too. Holmgren played it smart though and only did a one year deal. If the experiment bombs they aren't committed for any more than next season.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Oh, he'll be good, I'm sure of it. Still a little peeved at his behaviour though.

I think the whole behaviour thing was blown out of proportion by an Ottawa media hungry for news and easy explanations about what was going wrong with the Sens at the time. I've never bought that he was the problem in Ottawa. Needed some straightening out, maybe, but I didn't like the way we treated him at all after the end of the 2007 season.

I mean, the guy steps in in Nov. of 2006 to replace the guy the organization went out and signed to put in front of him (Gerber), turns the team around (and anyone who says that he didn't stand on his head through the months of Nov., Dec. 2007, Jan. 2007 is full of Dung), and then helps them to the first SCF in Sens' history -- all with a bum hand, which he had to tough it out with because Gerber was Dung and the team needed him.

Yeah, the guy who postpones surgery for 6 months is not a team player. What a joke.

Then, after that, he goes out and gets the bum hand fixed, and he returns to find out he's 2nd banana to the guy he displaced last year, and with such good results. I totally get why he acted the way he did in late 2007 and early 2008; I don't agree with it and didn't like it, but I get it.

He needed to grow up, for sure, but he wasn't the problem.

I feel pretty sure he's going to do just fine in Philly. Guy's a competitor, and has been forced to grow up. He's going to be stronger for this experience I think -- chip on his shoulder, something to prove to people every day, every game. I know I'm targeting him for a late round pick up in my hockey pools this year.

wow, 1.5 is really cheap if he does well!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

A review of some memorable moments of Emery in Ottawa

http://www.tsn.ca/window/oneclip_nhl_playoffs.html#clip181775

Thanks TSN 🇬🇬

Edit: Wasn't that memorable at all, his fight with McGrattan, being late for practice, and beating the Trainer up in Russia (which is not Ottawa by the way TSN)

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Oh, he'll be good, I'm sure of it. Still a little peeved at his behaviour though.

I think the whole behaviour thing was blown out of proportion by an Ottawa media hungry for news and easy explanations about what was going wrong with the Sens at the time. I've never bought that he was the problem in Ottawa. Needed some straightening out, maybe, but I didn't like the way we treated him at all after the end of the 2007 season.

I mean, the guy steps in in Nov. of 2006 to replace the guy the organization went out and signed to put in front of him (Gerber), turns the team around (and anyone who says that he didn't stand on his head through the months of Nov., Dec. 2007, Jan. 2007 is full of Dung), and then helps them to the first SCF in Sens' history -- all with a bum hand, which he had to tough it out with because Gerber was Dung and the team needed him.

Yeah, the guy who postpones surgery for 6 months is not a team player. What a joke.

Then, after that, he goes out and gets the bum hand fixed, and he returns to find out he's 2nd banana to the guy he displaced last year, and with such good results. I totally get why he acted the way he did in late 2007 and early 2008; I don't agree with it and didn't like it, but I get it.

He needed to grow up, for sure, but he wasn't the problem.

I feel pretty sure he's going to do just fine in Philly. Guy's a competitor, and has been forced to grow up. He's going to be stronger for this experience I think -- chip on his shoulder, something to prove to people every day, every game. I know I'm targeting him for a late round pick up in my hockey pools this year.

We're on the same page. Paddock and Murray let the situation fester for far too long. A lot of it is on Emery, of course -- not practicing hard led to a drop in his "athleticism", moping about losing the #1 led to a drop in his intensity (remember the shootout loss where he didn't so much as wave at the winner). But because the situation didn't get handled early, the team was forced by the media and fan reaction to do something drastic. What they should ave done is send him on an extensive conditioning stint down in Bingo. Let him see how underpaid athletes compete to get a sniff of a chance at even the minimum NHL salary. He was sent down for 2 games over a weekend, what a joke. I guess you could say that Murray's hand was forced because of the public outcry, but I still felt it was a far stronger move than what was required. It was probably also an attempt to find a scape goat, but it backfired in a large way this past season. Emery's SV% in the KHL versus what we got from Gerber/Auld would have probably won us enough of the close games early on to still have a spot in the post-season.

Oh, well, water under the bridge. I wish him nothing bu well with Philly. Except when he plays against Ottawa, of course.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:A review of some memorable moments of Emery in Ottawa

Thanks TSN 🇬🇬

Edit: Wasn't that memorable at all, his fight with McGrattan, being late for practice, and beating the Trainer up in Russia (which is not Ottawa by the way TSN)

Moreons.

:^^^^:

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Thanks TSN 🇬🇬

Moreons.

:^^^^:

no kidding, am hoping that some city around here wins their 10 cities in 10 days event, then I can punch some of them in the face and pinch Holly Horton's....ummm....nevermind. Ahhhhh!

23Flyers to announce they've signed Emery - Page 2 Empty Re: Flyers to announce they've signed Emery Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:28 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Anyone see the Emery presser after he signed? I couldn't believe it was the same guy.

1. Suit and tie!
2. Hair. Short, but there. I think there was also no facial hair.
3. All tattoos covered up, just a tiny stud-earring; no other bling I could see.
4. Greatful for another chance; saying all the right things.

Sure, all of those things can be carefully planned by a publicity guy, but why would he do that *after* he's already signed? I guess it could have been the Philly organization trying to forestall any fan backlash, but he really, really sounded sincere (yeah, if you can fake sincerity you've got it made, I know).

Last thing which, I don't believe, you can fake: his eyes were clear. In pretty much all previous appearances his eyes looked either glazed over or half-open. As though he'd been doing some heavy partying *or something*.

If you haven't seen it, try to catch it on Sportsnet Connected. It should be running all day.

24Flyers to announce they've signed Emery - Page 2 Empty Re: Flyers to announce they've signed Emery Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks TSN 🇬🇬

LOL frig. Did you see him attack the poor team trainer in Russia? Tantrum

Ridiculous. Just for a hat? What a hothead .....

Sheit i'm watching it again, it's horibble, you can tell the trainer is somewhat down syndrome, and the trainer even visually looks and gesters at emery for ok of the hat. He puts the hat on, and emery starts freakin' on him, the trainer did not say a word after. What a goof, i can't believe it, what a goof ....

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

HowieMorenz wrote:Sheit i'm watching it again, it's horibble, you can tell the trainer is somewhat down syndrome, and the trainer even visually looks and gesters at emery for ok of the hat. He puts the hat on, and emery starts freakin' on him, the trainer did not say a word after. What a goof, i can't believe it, what a goof ....

The trainer must not watch NHL hockey and know Emery's reputation, I think he is the 2nd coming of Ron Hextall now for the Flyers.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Umm, that was a classic racist comment, by the way. Are you sure you wouldn't like to retract it? DELETED the comment Pragues

Look, you can say the guy was a prick. I have no issues with that. And, yes, he *was* colorful and loud (style-wise), but so is Don Cherry.

Did you even see the interview I mentioned? Did you read what I wrote? Have you never met anyone who made mistakes when they were young? Have you never experienced any kind of redemption of character -- whether yourself, a family member or an acquaintance?

His transformation was eye-opening and seemed sincere. But if you want to keep looking back at old footage with no context, that up to you. By the way, we have no idea why he reacted the way he did. Who knows, maybe he'd had a tough time in the KHL (not too many black players over there). Maybe someone had previously thrown something at his head and he just snapped. There are a million possible explanations. Maybe he simply told the guy 15 times to leave him alone and on the 16th he snapped. I've got kids, I can relate to that, for sure.

Ah, why am I bothering.

Emery looks like a changed man. I hope he gets his mojo back.

And Howie, that was horrible to say.

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Emery looks like a changed man. I hope he gets his mojo back.

And Howie, that was horrible to say.

Yeah that probably didnt come out like I wanted. No racism here i like everyone. I can assure you.

I apologize.

My avatar and and your avatar are starin each other down Howie :^^^^:

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:My avatar and and your avatar are starin each other down Howie :^^^^:

Yes sir, this is as good as it gets ... wouldn't overtime be awesome? Facepalm

HowieMorenz wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:My avatar and and your avatar are starin each other down Howie :^^^^:

Yes sir, this is as good as it gets ... wouldn't overtime be awesome? Facepalm

Especially when Hossa scores Smile

33Flyers to announce they've signed Emery - Page 2 Empty Re: Flyers to announce they've signed Emery Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:56 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Pannacio's Q&A with Emery:

http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?Panaccio-A-One-on-One-With-Ray-Emery=1&blockID=58391&feedID=704

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum