GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Random Sens Notes

+9
wprager
asq2
LeCaptain
Riprock
Hockeyhero22000
Acrobat
SensFan71
BigRig
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:22 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Haven't seen anything, so I guess it's bye-bye Ruslan?

17Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:09 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote: If he can play both (C and W) well then that just makes him more valuable, and give Murray more trade options.

If by some odd chance he is also a viable defenseman, then he's just a freak of nature. But we'll take it.

EDIT:

If he is C/W and so is Fisher (and Foligno, for that matter), imagine the destruction that the three of them could do together...and they could take turns parking in the crease.

Now that would be fun to watch. We could call them the OFF line as in they'll OFF anyone who gets in their way? OK that was bad. Facepalm

18Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:25 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Haven't seen anything, so I guess it's bye-bye Ruslan?
I would guess so...

19Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
I would guess so...

Muckler's legacy of drafting Russian's that end up not playing for us continues.

Interesting take on this (and on Murray's handling of our Russian prospekts) from Viktoro over on Sens Army Central:

http://forums.ottawasenators.com/index.php?showtopic=5933&st=20&start=20

Bolding is mine for emphasis:

Wasn't Nikulin traded or something??
SOMETHING?
Nikulin was
forced out of Ottawa by Murray...Nikulin was upset the way Murray
treated him and Zubov. Murray's exact words to Nikulin just before
Nikulin asked to be traded where" We Just Don't Need You Here".... I
wish Nikulin could have explained himself in English but in his blog he
pretty much said that He was upset to see Zubov not get a legitimate
chance during camp and he felt Foligno's relationship with Hartsburg
was coming in between his and Zubov's opportunity to make the team. Not
to mention Winchester's One Way Contract. He was probably right to
leave and I am surprised Zubov stayed. Zubov played on three World
Junior Championships for Russia and it had to sting a little to see 2
inferior prospects like Winchester, and Foligno get an opportunity
ahead of himself and Nikulin ...After being insulted by Murray I don't
blame Nikulin for wanting to leave. This year Murray is gonna have to
play Zubov or trade him and my bet is Murray will trade him before
Zubov makes an *** out of him. Just like Shannon did after the little
guy was called up!! kind of ironic to see Foligno playing on both Zubov
and Shannon's lines in both of their call ups.... As if Foligno really
wanted to see Zubov and Shannon succeed in his position.... As for the
rest of the Russian prospects don't think they aren't aware of the way
Murray handled Nikulin and Zubov. I doubt any of them will come to
Ottawa as long as Murray is enthroned in the G.M. position.

20Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Can anyone corroborate that version of events?

21Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:05 am

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
I would guess so...

Muckler's legacy of drafting Russian's that end up not playing for us continues.

Interesting take on this (and on Murray's handling of our Russian prospekts) from Viktoro over on Sens Army Central:

http://forums.ottawasenators.com/index.php?showtopic=5933&st=20&start=20

Bolding is mine for emphasis:

Wasn't Nikulin traded or something??
SOMETHING?
Nikulin was
forced out of Ottawa by Murray...Nikulin was upset the way Murray
treated him and Zubov. Murray's exact words to Nikulin just before
Nikulin asked to be traded where" We Just Don't Need You Here".... I
wish Nikulin could have explained himself in English but in his blog he
pretty much said that He was upset to see Zubov not get a legitimate
chance during camp and he felt Foligno's relationship with Hartsburg
was coming in between his and Zubov's opportunity to make the team. Not
to mention Winchester's One Way Contract. He was probably right to
leave and I am surprised Zubov stayed. Zubov played on three World
Junior Championships for Russia and it had to sting a little to see 2
inferior prospects like Winchester, and Foligno get an opportunity
ahead of himself and Nikulin ...After being insulted by Murray I don't
blame Nikulin for wanting to leave. This year Murray is gonna have to
play Zubov or trade him and my bet is Murray will trade him before
Zubov makes an *** out of him. Just like Shannon did after the little
guy was called up!! kind of ironic to see Foligno playing on both Zubov
and Shannon's lines in both of their call ups.... As if Foligno really
wanted to see Zubov and Shannon succeed in his position.... As for the
rest of the Russian prospects don't think they aren't aware of the way
Murray handled Nikulin and Zubov. I doubt any of them will come to
Ottawa as long as Murray is enthroned in the G.M. position.

This was quite a stinging version of events... Perhaps the Russian faction is not happy with being treated as any other prospect i.e. having to work for your opportunity. I am not sure I would classify Foligno or Winhchester as inferior prospects (to Nikulin and Zubov) or Shannon for that matter. Sure Zubov has enjoyed success in Russia as had Nikulin but truth of the matter is that they did not outshine other prospects in Bingo. Their games are somewhat soft and one dimensional. If we have to get out of the business of drafting Russians I am okay with that... personally my preferred nationalities are Canadian, Swede, Finn and Slovak followed down the line by Russians. We just haven't had a lot of luck with Russian players...

22Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:20 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
504Heater wrote:
Dash wrote:Here's an article on O'Brien from the Sens site: http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=424567&cmpid=rss-brodie

Says he has some work to do, liekyl playing with Bingo next year, and that once he improves his size, strength on the puck, etc, he will be a solid winger. When did he transition from Center to Wing?

They asked him to work on it in Seattle and they'll work on it in Bingo as well. We have too many centers, I remember reading this, so that's good news.

He was a defender when he first started out.

Too bad.

I loved the idea of Z. Smith - O'Brien - Foligno as a line.

Why do you say too bad? Isn't Z.Smith a natural center? Same with Foligno, I know he's working the wing pretty hard, but isn't he a natural center as well? That line could still work, only, instead of the way you wrote it, it would be more like:

Foligno - Z.Smith - O'Brien

23Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Classic case of Nikulin figuring he was due an NHL chance instead of proving he was worthy.

If we're adopting a 'it's a privilege to play for the Ottawa Senators, not a right', then he had to go. The same will apply to Zubov. You must earn it to the point that if you feel you're in the AHL for too long, too bad, you have to deal with it. If you continue to work hard, you'll get your chance.

It's also a little bit of a black mark against Russians. I understand that not all Russians are the same, but at this point, the only Russian I would take would be Kulikov - and the only reason I'd take him (other than he's awesome) is that he's integrated himself into North American culture.

24Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:28 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
I would guess so...

I think Bashkirov was a Murray pick shockingly enough. I doubt he does that again - especially not with a 2nd rounder. But...at the time I remember everyone trying to get rid of their picks - even 1st rounders. It was a dismal year for drafting, so I guess Murray took a chance that didn't work out.

25Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:41 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
I would guess so...

I think Bashkirov was a Murray pick shockingly enough. I doubt he does that again - especially not with a 2nd rounder. But...at the time I remember everyone trying to get rid of their picks - even 1st rounders. It was a dismal year for drafting, so I guess Murray took a chance that didn't work out.

well with the overflow of tallent this year i hope murray doesn't pick russians. it's nothing against them i just think that the KHL might gain momentum and might become an attractive option for them. i say go with canadians, swedes or finns. i'll be very interersted in who we draft in the first and second round.

26Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
well with the overflow of tallent this year i hope murray doesn't pick russians. it's nothing against them i just think that the KHL might gain momentum and might become an attractive option for them. i say go with canadians, swedes or finns. i'll be very interersted in who we draft in the first and second round.

I doubt he does, with the possible exception of Kulikov.

27Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:46 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Nikulin was so good he couldn't even crack Phoenix's makeshift lineup...please. Tell him to go cry in his milk back home if he can't handle not being good enough to play in the NHL.

As for Zubov, this is his final chance this training camp to prove he belongs with the big team. If he can't crack the lineup this year, he might as well pack his bags up too and head back home.

28Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:55 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PKC wrote:Nikulin was so good he couldn't even crack Phoenix's makeshift lineup...please. Tell him to go cry in his milk back home if he can't handle not being good enough to play in the NHL.

As for Zubov, this is his final chance this training camp to prove he belongs with the big team. If he can't crack the lineup this year, he might as well pack his bags up too and head back home.
or be traded Sarcasm

29Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:00 pm

Zubov is worth di ck to another team. He will be back in Russia by years end I think.

30Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rumors are starting again that Smith will retire before next season.

31Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Rumors are starting again that Smith will retire before next season.

Really?

32Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:
wprager wrote:Rumors are starting again that Smith will retire before next season.

Really?

It was in Sens Chirp's Tuesday Notes.

33Random Sens Notes - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Sens Notes Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

is it due to injury? i was really happy when they signed him but i was also hoping that they would sign a PMD. Campoli came too late... well that could clear 2.6 millions for a foward...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum