GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who Will Coach The Oilers?

+7
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
sennies1980
shabbs
wprager
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 1:06 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PS, Colorado really diddled up. They should have offered Quinn whatever he wanted to start to guide their young team in the right direction. :crazy:

32Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 1:07 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:according to TSN they are saying Quinn, nothing substantiated yet though, smart move by the Oil if its true.

Quinn alone? Did they mention Renney being an assistant?

Yes it do.

33Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 1:07 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:according to TSN they are saying Quinn, nothing substantiated yet though, smart move by the Oil if its true.

actually yes, Renney as his goofy sidekick was included on TSN. Sarcasm

34Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 1:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good work by the Oilers to get these two minds together.

35Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 1:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:Good work by the Oilers to get these two minds together.

Are you sure it's not "good luck to the Oilers?

36Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 1:27 pm

I bet Messier is named as an assistant coach. He has not hidden his desire to get into management and this would be a great start.

37Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 1:30 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Are you sure it's not "good luck to the Oilers?

Maybe that's what I meant subconsciously. Sarcasm

No, I actually think having those two guys coaching your team is a massive step in the right direction. I don't like Renney, never have, but when you combine his defensive approach with Quinn's hybrid approach, you're going to have very good, very well coached results IMO.

38Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Now this is a hire. I'm not unhappy with Clouston, but this is just the type of hire Murray should have made in any of the last 3 decisions. Both of these guys are quality hockey men and if they can check egos at the door (particularly Renney) could form a formidable tandem. Nice job by Lowe if it's true.

39Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 2:19 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Yup. Quinn and Renney.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279979

This should be interesting.

40Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 2:29 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Yup. Quinn and Renney.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279979

This should be interesting.

would have been moreso with Keenan still in Calgary, Quinn vs Keenan in the Battle of Alberta, yowza, huge fireworks

:%%:

41Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 3:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So I guess it's official:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/Detroit/2009/05/26/9576086-ap.html

Nothing on Jagr, though.

42Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 3:16 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:So I guess it's official:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/Detroit/2009/05/26/9576086-ap.html

Nothing on Jagr, though.

What does Lidstrom and Datsyuk skipping practice have to do with anything? Razz

- Unknown Author

43Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 4:14 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From CBC Sports, updated today at 3:43pm:

Pat Quinn named Oilers head coach

Pat Quinn will take over as head coach of the Edmonton Oilers, with former New York Rangers head coach Tom Renney as an assistant, the team announced on Tuesday.

"If I think of leadership, I think of Pat. If I think of the way you want to be treated as a player, I think of someone like Pat Quinn," said Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini.

"I'm very excited that he accepted this job as head coach."

Former Oiler Kelly Buchberger was also retained as an assistant.

Quinn was last seen behind the Team Canada bench at the 2008 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships, where he won gold with the squad over Sweden.
Before that, Quinn led Team Canada's entry in the 2006 Spengler Cup to a finals appearance.

Knows area well

He knows the area well from his junior days, as he played for the Edmonton Oil Kings and was a member of their Memorial Cup-winning squad in 1963.

"The tradition is very, very important to this organization," said Quinn. "But I'm looking to the future obviously ... We're here to help this team win."

Quinn's last NHL coaching stint was a seven-year run with the Toronto Maple Leafs. The 66-year-old has spent 19 seasons behind NHL benches, also coaching in Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Vancouver. The Leafs made the playoffs in the first six years he was head coach, and went to the conference finals twice in that span.

But he was fired in 2005-06 after Toronto missed the post-season for the first time under his watch.

His record stands at 657-481-154, with 26 OT losses. He made it to the Stanley Cup final twice (once with Philadelphia in 1979-80, and again with Vancouver in 1993-94).

Jack Adams recipient

Quinn has won the Jack Adams award for NHL coach of the year twice, in 1980 with Philadelphia and again in 1992 with Vancouver.

Quinn also has an Olympic gold medal to his name, winning the prize as head coach of Team Canada at the 2002 Olympics. He also led the team to victory in the World Cup of Hockey two years later.

Renney coached the Rangers from 2003 to the middle of the 2008-09 season. He was fired in mid-February and replaced with John Tortorella.

His first job as NHL head coach came in 1996, when he was hired by then-general manager Quinn to coach the Canucks. Tambellini knows both Quinn and Renney from their days in the Canucks organization.

"I think any of us in this game understands the opportunity when it presents itself," Renney said. "It's something I completely embrace, without a doubt. ... It comes down to the people that you're able to surround yourself with."

The Oilers had been without a bench boss since they fired Craig MacTavish after nine years in mid-April. Edmonton has missed the playoffs for three straight years.

Tambellini also interviewed Marc Crawford and San Jose assistant coach Todd Richards for the job.

44Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 4:14 pm

I hope Quinn loves Spezza!

45Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 4:22 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Not sure why some people here are dumping on Tom Renney, who actually did a lot with a dodgy Rangers team.

The combination of Quinn--unquestionably an excellent motivator--and Renney--who is an excellent strategist--should give the Oilers considerable strength behind the bench.

46Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 4:59 pm

sennies1980

sennies1980
Prospect
Prospect

some old vancouver tandems control two canadian teams now

http://talkinghockey.wordpress.com

47Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 5:03 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:Now this is a hire. I'm not unhappy with Clouston, but this is just the type of hire Murray should have made in any of the last 3 decisions. Both of these guys are quality hockey men and if they can check egos at the door (particularly Renney) could form a formidable tandem. Nice job by Lowe if it's true.

Excellent point.

48Who Will Coach The Oilers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who Will Coach The Oilers? Tue May 26, 2009 5:12 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:Now this is a hire. I'm not unhappy with Clouston, but this is just the type of hire Murray should have made in any of the last 3 decisions. Both of these guys are quality hockey men and if they can check egos at the door (particularly Renney) could form a formidable tandem. Nice job by Lowe if it's true.

i'm not sure if ottawa would of had that option possible. i don't think ottawa is seen as a prime location at the moment for players or coaches due to our (in)activities of the last 2 years.

edmonton has alot of the pieces in place and are a storied franchise.
to many people ottawa is in a downward spiral. one i think and hope we are on our way out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum