GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grilling steak... the right way

+5
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
wprager
shabbs
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:23 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:My only faux-pas is that I have a pretty bad barbecue
It's important to keep your grill clean. Clean after and before for best results. Sometimes, I'll leave the BBQ on "high" for a while after I cook to burn off some of the "left behinds" and then I'll brush it with a wire brush to keep it nice and clean.

I've got a natural gas BBQ hooked up to the house so I never run out of gas. No more "running out of gas" when you have a bunch of people over for a bbq.

17Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:25 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
It's important to keep your grill clean. Clean after and before for best results. Sometimes, I'll leave the BBQ on "high" for a while after I cook to burn off some of the "left behinds" and then I'll brush it with a wire brush to keep it nice and clean.

I've got a natural gas BBQ hooked up to the house so I never run out of gas. No more "running out of gas" when you have a bunch of people over for a bbq.

I am in your bbq awe, no more buying propane tanks? now that is convenience, thanks for the tip on keeping the grill clean, mine is horrible, but I want to upgrade to a stainless steel bbq, maybe this way I can convince my better half of it, by letting it get dirty that is? lol

18Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:35 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:

Those are the best!! I wish we had one. Friggin' propane, I never know how much is left in the damn tank.

19Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:38 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Those are the best!! I wish we had one. Friggin' propane, I never know how much is left in the damn tank.

I keep a full backup tank ready at all times. It's a little less convenient than a direct hook up, but it works.

20Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:41 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Those stainless steel BBQ's look nice when they're all cleaned up. When it comes to the grill, choices these days are cast iron, porcelain coated cast iron and stainless steel. Cast iron holds the heat the best but is high maintenance (needs to be seasoned), porcelain coated don't hold the heat as well but are lower maintenance, and stainless steel
are the easiest to maintain but hold the heat the least so you'll need to cook a bit longer.

Here's a tip for those with stainless steel BBQ's: the best thing to clean the outside of it is WD40. It's a grease eater and works very well. Just make sure your BBQ is all dry and cleaned off before you fire it up... WD40 is flammable.

Here's my BBQ:
Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Papneaabk

Last edited by shabbs on Thu May 14, 2009 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:41 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

That's a great idea, we're going to have to start doing that. Propane tanks make me really nervous too though...I hate firing up the BBQ, I always think it's going to explode.

22Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:42 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:I keep a full backup tank ready at all times. It's a little less convenient than a direct hook up, but it works.
That's the best thing to do to always be ready.

I believe the old way to check how much propane is left in the tank was to pour boiling water down the side of it and there would be condensation showing the level. Not sure if that still works.

23Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:48 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I keep a full backup tank ready at all times. It's a little less convenient than a direct hook up, but it works.

I believe the old way to check how much propane is left in the tank was to pour boiling water down the side of it and there would be condensation showing the level. Not sure if that still works.

Really? boiling water on a propane tank? That sounds scary. It's true though, there's gotta be a way to check.

24Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:50 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Really? boiling water on a propane tank? That sounds scary. It's true though, there's gotta be a way to check.
No word of a lie... it is the way...

http://moorecountyboyscouts.org/propane.html

There are others too...

25Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:53 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Crazy! So the hot water method is with a special strip on the side of the tank. That sounds safer than just straight up pouring the water on the tank.

26Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:Crazy! So the hot water method is with a special strip on the side of the tank. That sounds safer than just straight up pouring the water on the tank.
You can pour it right on the tank and then feel for where it's warm/cold. There is no issue with pouring a bit of boiling water down the side of a propane tank, trust me. It's not a balloon that will pop.

Wink

27Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 4:11 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Crazy! So the hot water method is with a special strip on the side of the tank. That sounds safer than just straight up pouring the water on the tank.
You can pour it right on the tank and then feel for where it's warm/cold. There is no issue with pouring a bit of boiling water down the side of a propane tank, trust me. It's not a balloon that will pop.

Wink

Ok, I'm just paranoid. It's a great tip though, thanks. I never knew how to check.

The bathroom scale one is strange as well, it's just not completely accurate, I'm sure.

28Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

But you gotta support the people that sell propane and propane accessories.

29Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 4:21 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:But you gotta support the people that sell propane and propane accessories.

Agreed.

Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Hank+bbq

30Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I've been buying our steaks from Costco for as long as I can remember. They have been the best deal my wife has found for the price and yes they are big but they feed the entire family with enough left over to cook for another day.

31Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 5:56 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, seriously can't go wrong with a big slab of tenderloin or striplon, divided into individual steaks. Still costs a lot, but good for big dinners or freezing I suppose. We got the The Keg steak rub from there as well. And I love a blue cheese sauce over my steak. And served with mushrooms, Caesar salad and a potato.

32Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 7:51 pm

HERES MY SECRET: Montreal Steak Spice RUB

...i DARE you to try it....

33Grilling steak... the right way - Page 2 Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 8:02 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blazer wrote:HERES MY SECRET: Montreal Steak Spice RUB

...i DARE you to try it....
I've got a bottle of that ready to go... will be trying it soon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum