GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grilling steak... the right way

+5
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
wprager
shabbs
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Grilling steak... the right way Empty Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, summer season is here... and that means grilling season. Mmmmm steaks on the grill. For those that love to grill, here's a great step-by-step guide to grilling the best steaks...

http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/ss/aa110108a.htm

This is the method I use and it works very well. Oiling your grill is very important - use an extra light Olive oil. I use Montreal steak spice to season my meat.

Now, go forth and grill away and enjoy steak the way it's supposed to be. Why pay crazy money at a steak house when you can do just as good a job at home? Get a good cut from your local butcher and get the same results at home.

2Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 12:38 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Well, summer season is here... and that means grilling season. Mmmmm steaks on the grill. For those that love to grill, here's a great step-by-step guide to grilling the best steaks...

This is the method I use and it works very well. Oiling your grill is very important - use an extra light Olive oil. I use Montreal steak spice to season my meat.

Now, go forth and grill away and enjoy steak the way it's supposed to be. Why pay crazy money at a steak house when you can do just as good a job at home? Get a good cut from your local butcher and get the same results at home.

Amen!

And if you want a great steak without the fuss of bone and fat, look for sales on tenderloin roasts. Tenderloin is the stuff that Fillet Mignon's made of, and you can often find it on sale in the roast form, for as low as $22-28 /kg. Considering that it is *all meat* with no bone or fat, and then considering also that it will be the most tender steak you will ever eat, that's quite a bargain. A nice, sharp knife to cut the roast into steaks is all that is required.

:___:

What happened to the drooling smiley?

3Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Well, summer season is here... and that means grilling season. Mmmmm steaks on the grill. For those that love to grill, here's a great step-by-step guide to grilling the best steaks...

thank you Shabbs, I am forever in your debt for these and so will my neighbours as soon as I put these into action on my bbq. Smile

4Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 12:45 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The beef tenderloin at Costco is surprisingly good. It's big but you can cut it up and freeze what you don't need right away.

Their striploin is also very good, and a bit on the pricey side.

5Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

My personal favourite cut is Rib Eye. Mmmm...

- Unknown Author

6Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 12:49 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:The beef tenderloin at Costco is surprisingly good. It's big but you can cut it up and freeze what you don't need right away.

They also carry Montreal Steak Spice in 50-gallon drums.

7Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 12:51 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:The beef tenderloin at Costco is surprisingly good. It's big but you can cut it up and freeze what you don't need right away.

They also carry Montreal Steak Spice in 50-gallon drums.
HA HA! Actually, I did buy a huge container of it to refill my small shaker... mmmm steak spice.

8Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:

thank you Shabbs, I am forever in your debt for these and so will my neighbours as soon as I put these into action on my bbq. Smile
Fire up the GRILL!!!!

HA HA!

A lot of the neighbours around me (including myself) are avid grillers and there's always the smell of a grill going each night... smells so good...

9Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 2:18 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Mmmmmmmm...Steak.

10Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 2:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

+1 on Costco. I was there just a couple of days ago. A nice size tenderloin (good for at least 10 nice-sized steaks) is around $40-45. A fillet mignon of that size would run you a good $15-20 with a side of potato and some veggies. Here you can get it for under $5, so long as you have a nice, sharp knife.

I got the Montreal Steak Spice from Cotsco. It's *not* that big. I use it for steak, sauteed mushrooms (with a little sour cream -- excellent as a side for your steak), and to top off a baked potato (another steak side).

My only faux-pas is that I have a pretty bad barbecue (well, it's alittle better since swapped out the old burner) and I cook on a grill/griddle (one side for pancakes, the other for grilling) on top of the gas range. Cooking times are a bit longer because I cannot close the lid.

11Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 2:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Costco literally has everything now, they seem to be expanding into everything under the sun. And their products are top notch (or people wouldn't continue to buy).

12Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 2:44 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:Costco literally has everything now, they seem to be expanding into everything under the sun. And their products are top notch (or people wouldn't continue to buy).

People like to buy there because they like the feeling of having access to merchandise on an exclusive basis. It's a class thing.

Their meat is by far the best looking I've seen in any store. I long for the day when I can be enough of a big shot to actually taste this forbidden delicacy.

13Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:My only faux-pas is that I have a pretty bad barbecue
It's important to keep your grill clean. Clean after and before for best results. Sometimes, I'll leave the BBQ on "high" for a while after I cook to burn off some of the "left behinds" and then I'll brush it with a wire brush to keep it nice and clean.

I've got a natural gas BBQ hooked up to the house so I never run out of gas. No more "running out of gas" when you have a bunch of people over for a bbq.

14Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:25 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
It's important to keep your grill clean. Clean after and before for best results. Sometimes, I'll leave the BBQ on "high" for a while after I cook to burn off some of the "left behinds" and then I'll brush it with a wire brush to keep it nice and clean.

I've got a natural gas BBQ hooked up to the house so I never run out of gas. No more "running out of gas" when you have a bunch of people over for a bbq.

I am in your bbq awe, no more buying propane tanks? now that is convenience, thanks for the tip on keeping the grill clean, mine is horrible, but I want to upgrade to a stainless steel bbq, maybe this way I can convince my better half of it, by letting it get dirty that is? lol

15Grilling steak... the right way Empty Re: Grilling steak... the right way Thu May 14, 2009 3:35 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:

Those are the best!! I wish we had one. Friggin' propane, I never know how much is left in the damn tank.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum