GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Varlamov - Is he this year's Cam Ward or JS Giguere?

+6
Hockeyhero22000
davetherave
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Varlamov has come out of nowhere and recorded two career PLAYOFF shutouts before he has even achieved one in the regular season. This guy has more playoff experience than he had regular season experience for crying out loud. He leads the NHL with a 1.51 playoff GAA and played a major roll in the Caps comeback against the Rangers and in the Caps latest win vs. the PENS.

Although I initially predicted a PENS series win in 6 games I'm beginning to think that I was way off on that prediction. This kid has all the makings of being this years Conn Smythe winner. I know I'm way ahead of myself on this but I'm just writing a topic thread so I can think ahead all I want Smile .

Personally I still don't think the PENS are out of this one and could come back and turn this series around. Even if that doesn't happen and the Caps make it to the Conference Final then Varlamov will likely have to be Conn Smythe worthy to get them to the Cup finals IMHO.

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Tue May 05, 2009 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He's certainly playing like he could be... fun to watch this guy.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Cam Ward is this year's Cam Ward. My son, who is a goalie, would disagree. He really digs Varlamov.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:I think Cam Ward is this year's Cam Ward. My son, who is a goalie, would disagree. He really digs Varlamov.

That's funny, I thought the same thing. This is Cam Ward's coming out party: The Sequel.

Varlamov has been rock solid. But, he came with a ton of fanfare. He was a top, top prospect in the Caps system, maybe higher than Alzner and Gustofsson in projections, so it's not 100% shocking that he's having success. It's neat though. cool)

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

IMHO Varlamov is this year's Varlamov.
Wink
Seriously, folks...I saw this kid play a few games for the Caps earlier this year and it was obvious he was/is Washington's next Number One.

Another brilliant young goalie who comes 'out of nowhere' as they say.

Not.

Varlamov's the Caps' 1st round pick from the 2006 draft. Played for the Russian Junior National Squad, in the KHL, and went (per Wiki) "4-0-1 with a 2.37 GAA and .918 SV% in 6 games with the Capitals, while also going 19-7-1 in 27 games with the Hershey Bears in the AHL."

On another, related note, Versage really stuck his foot in it this morning on OTE when he and Kulka were yakking and Versage referred to Jonas Hiller as a 'kid'. Hiller's 27, been with the Ducks two years after a strong career in the Swiss League.

Sheesh...when are these mainstream media types going to do their effin hockey homework?
Thumbs Down

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Varlamov is definitely this years cam ward as the cap said he has a 1.51 GAA which is tied for first in the playoffs with thomas with save %age of .945 second to hillers .951 tied with other goalies with 2 shutouts and he is the first goalie to hit 6 wins... more importantly it isnt just that he is making a lot of saves he is making big game saver saves like on crosby in game 1 and he managed to no baby after the crosscheck by kunitz and stop three shots before crosby got the third goal. it may be a bit early but he is the reason the caps are this far into the playoffs if theo was in net the rangers would have made it instead of the caps

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:On another, related note, Versage really stuck his foot in it this morning on OTE when he and Kulka were yakking and Versage referred to Jonas Hiller as a 'kid'. Hiller's 27, been with the Ducks two years after a strong career in the Swiss League.

Sheesh...when are these mainstream media types going to do their effin hockey homework?
Thumbs Down

Small Time Versage is comical. At least he didn't call Richard Park a kid. Yet.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

I still say this series goes 6 or 7. The Caps were awful lucky to come away with both wins.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You might be right about the lucky wins for the Caps; but taking into account Kunitz's antics and riding the high of being up 2-0, even if they are playing in Pitts, I say Washington may come out flying (for their sake, they pretty much have to).

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cronie wrote:You might be right about the lucky wins for the Caps; but taking into account Kunitz's antics and riding the high of being up 2-0, even if they are playing in Pitts, I say Washington may come out flying (for their sake, they pretty much have to).
Kunitz has always played that type of game. He's just not as big of a mouth as Avery, but he's pretty similar. There's a reason they let him go in Anaheim. Both teams have been flying since the start. I agree with you that Washington takes the series, but Pitt will take them to the wire.

MAlkin needs to step things up though for that to happen.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The fact that Washington even admits they were out played last game suggests to me there is a good chance Pittsburgh can take 2 at home and make this a series again.

- Unknown Author

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Maybe Varlamov is this year's Ken Dryden. Conn Smythe this year, next year Calder for top rookie. Dryden's title may be on the line here.

This is a concidental reference ... last night i was watching the game and my thought exatcly was how Cam Wardish varlamov reminds me of .... coming in after a few games after theo was chased out, like gerber was chased out that year ....

Cam Wardish my vote :p

Unless of course Washington doesnt win the cup, in which case he would be downgraded to a Don Beaupre lol

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:IMHO Varlamov is this year's Varlamov.
Wink
Seriously, folks...I saw this kid play a few games for the Caps earlier this year and it was obvious he was/is Washington's next Number One.

Another brilliant young goalie who comes 'out of nowhere' as they say.

Not.

Varlamov's the Caps' 1st round pick from the 2006 draft. Played for the Russian Junior National Squad, in the KHL, and went (per Wiki) "4-0-1 with a 2.37 GAA and .918 SV% in 6 games with the Capitals, while also going 19-7-1 in 27 games with the Hershey Bears in the AHL."

On another, related note, Versage really stuck his foot in it this morning on OTE when he and Kulka were yakking and Versage referred to Jonas Hiller as a 'kid'. Hiller's 27, been with the Ducks two years after a strong career in the Swiss League.

Thumbs Down

Don Cherry still calls Joe Sakic a kid, so...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Thumbs Down

Don Cherry still calls Joe Sakic a kid, so...

And if Don Cherry still calls Burnaby Joe a kid, then why shouldn't Lee Versage etc etc...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum