GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term

+2
Riprock
PTFlea
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Campbell is not dead wieght and can be moved if need be.

17Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:58 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Campbell is not dead wieght and can be moved if need be.

Definitely not dead weight, but a heck of a contract. Again, teams are only allowed to have 5 of these core players. So some team needs to identify Brian Campbell as the guy they want to have in their system for the next 7 years - and have it work within the realm of who they have coming up to sign - and who they've already committed to - and if they have an internal cap.

18Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:59 pm

I dont have much doubt the Hawks can deal Campbell if need be.

19Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 7:04 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Oh yeah, it's all for fun unless you're an actual member of a team's management team. End of the day, numbers are numbers and you can start to see what a GM will do in advance, but still, this is just hockey talk for the (mildly) obsessed. Smile

How true!

And I think you will agree that these salaries really only become a subject of contention when we as fans feel that players aren't giving maximum effort.

Which is, of course, our perspective...but we don't lace 'em up and go and get our faces washed and our bodies slammed--among other things--for a living...

I'll never forget the first time I skated on NHL ice...when I attended the charity event at SBP...I couldn't help thinking..."Wow, this is a LOT smaller than it looks on TV." And I visualized as best I could what it must be like to play the game at the incredible speeds of today's professionals.

We talk about players being 'brittle' as if they were mechanical objects...when these are young men whose bones are broken, muscles and tendons torn, skulls concussed, and so much more...all so we can enjoy a hockey game.

Makes you think...

OK, so back to Havlat and the Hawks.

Tallon is in a very good position because Chicago has an extremely strong pipeline of talent.

Up front, there are few teams who have achieved the balance the Blackhawks have. Speed, size, skill, scoring, two way play...the Hawks have it all. And ALL of them can come up big when needed.

As Calgary found out. And Vancouver is now finding out.

On defense, they have so many good players they had to send Barker down earlier this year; and could move Wisniewski--who's been excellent for Anaheim--which allowed them to bring up Hjalmarsson (who is, like Detroit's Ericsson, already a quality NHL d-man).

Even when you have big money committed to a PMD like Campbell, it's hard to lose because there are so few of his calibre. There will always be a buyer for his contract.

With Huet, yes, expensive, but again, Cristo has proven himself as a reliable starter and playoff performer. Not many of those around either. So...IF Tallon had to move him...his phone would be ringing.

Toews, Kane and so on...are part of a club on the rise...do you really think they want to go somewhere else?

I mean, come on...being a Blackhawk is WAY cool.

And bear this in mind: the executive group in Chicago has built the team by using Detroit as a benchmark for excellence.

With the extremely--some say obsessively--demanding Scotty Bowman as senior advisor.

I think you'd agree they've done a pretty darn good job so far.

There are no 'perfect' teams...but organizations that insist on excellence, like, for example, Detroit and Chicago, will always be a target for criticism.

Because people wonder 'how they do it'.

20Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 7:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not to be too blunt, but the majority was done by the Hawks sucking for...well, for a long time. Then a couple of slam dunk picks and they were on their way.

A couple of beautiful trades too actually.

21Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Not to be too blunt, but the majority was done by the Hawks sucking for...well, for a long time. Then a couple of slam dunk picks and they were on their way.

A couple of beautiful trades too actually.

Well, that really is TOO blunt.

And your reasoning as to why they have returned to form--and I must admonish you more than slightly for this, given your intelligence and usual insight--is far too simplistic.

The Blackhawks suffered from the mistakes made at a management level under the ownership of William Wirtz Sr, Rocky's father.

The franchise deteriorated on a number of levels, from on ice performance to attendance, and it was only the continued investment of the Wirtz family that allowed the Hawks to survive.

However, it took the death of Wirtz Sr and the accession of his son, to permit the Blackhawks to undertake the rebuilding of the organization at every level.

And the use of the word 'sucking' in a conversation of this nature does not flatter you.

In any case, if you'd like to know more about this story, I'll be happy to share it with you if you are interested.

In the meantime, give Wirtz, Tallon and Co a little respect and the credit they deserve.

22Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 8:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Credit for sure, there were trades that helped the franchise a lot. Sharp, Versteeg.

But...you can't honestly sit there and say that getting the 3rd overall pick in 2006 and then the 1st overall pick a year later doesn't go a long way to rejuvenating the franchise.

Of course Dale Tallon and co. deserve a lot of credit, but at the same time, these are put directly into your lap. Kane and Toews are instant foundations to build the franchise upon.

I know all about William Wirtz Sr and his blackouts and the way he alienated fans of the Hawks etc., but when the change came, it came swiftly and with two incredible picks to start.

Not to mention Seabrook being a 14th overall pick.

I dunno, if the Hawks hadn't 'sucked' and got the 3rd overall, then the 1st overall, could you say that you'd be in a position to even be in the Stanley Cup Playoffs right now?

23Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 3:14 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Credit for sure, there were trades that helped the franchise a lot. Sharp, Versteeg.

But...you can't honestly sit there and say that getting the 3rd overall pick in 2006 and then the 1st overall pick a year later doesn't go a long way to rejuvenating the franchise.

Of course Dale Tallon and co. deserve a lot of credit, but at the same time, these are put directly into your lap. Kane and Toews are instant foundations to build the franchise upon.

I know all about William Wirtz Sr and his blackouts and the way he alienated fans of the Hawks etc., but when the change came, it came swiftly and with two incredible picks to start.

Not to mention Seabrook being a 14th overall pick.

I dunno, if the Hawks hadn't 'sucked' and got the 3rd overall, then the 1st overall, could you say that you'd be in a position to even be in the Stanley Cup Playoffs right now?

My dear friend Heater, I sincerely hope for your sake and the sake of the fine people who are Senators fans...that you never have to endure seeing your favourites, the Ottawa Senators, 'suck'...as you so elegantly put it...for not one, not two, but many seasons.

It is surprising to me that you seem to think that getting a top draft pick and making a few trades is all it takes to bring about the renewal of a franchise.

Success is never put 'directly into your lap'.

And the change in Chicago did not come 'swiftly'.

Between 1997-98 and 2007-08, the Blackhawks made the playoffs only once.

When Brent Seabrook came to play in Chicago just three years ago (having been selected in the 2003 entry draft), the United Center was often three quarters empty.

Things are different now.

From Canwest News Service yesterday: "You can't even put it into words, really," the Hawk defenceman said Monday. "Being here three years ago and then being here now, it's a complete (180). The city is loving the Hawks and we're having fun with it."

The year Mr Seabrook came to Chicago was the year after Dale Tallon took over as GM. Tallon had played for the Hawks from 1973-78 after being traded from Vancouver, and after finishing his career in 1980 with the Penguins, spent 16 seasons as a TV analyst for the Hawks. He joined the front office as the director of player personnel for the Blackhawks from 1998 to 2002, and returned as assistant GM under Bob Pulford in 2003.

So Dale Tallon would probably tell you change does not come swiftly.

I don't think you do know all about William Wirtz, and you probably don't know that the same family who owned the Detroit Red Wings also owned the Chicago Black Hawks in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

There are a lot of stories about the franchise you are probably not familiar with, which is why you may not understand how special it is for Chicago hockey fans and Blackhawks supporters to feel their pride vindicated by not only the performances, but the spirit of this team.

You may not understand what it is for a team to be a powerhouse for so many years, as the Hawks were at various times in the 1960s through the 1990s--four decades--and to come so close to a Stanley Cup many times...but win only once.

It was never for a lack of talent, nor a lack of effort.

The Stanley Cup is the most difficult trophy to win in pro sports.

You should grasp that, as the Senators have yet to win the Cup since they came back into the league in 1992-93...now fifteen years.

...and coincidentally, the year after the Blackhawks lost in their last appearance in Finals to the Pittsburgh Penguins...a series I remember very, very well.

As well as I remember the Cup triumph in 1961.

The reason why the Blackhawks are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs right now is because of the extraordinary efforts of a team, and of a team of extraordinary people...not a few draft picks.

That's another hockey conversation.
Smile

...about what it means to 'Commit to the Indian'.

Unlike fans Wink who jump aboard, or straddle, Nuckwagons...but let's not get started on that subject for now...

So have a great day, my friend.

Big game tonight.

Biggest one ever...for these young Blackhawks.

In a building that will be rockin' to the rafters.

Let's go, Blackhawks.

24Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 10:30 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I respect that Tallon changed the culture inside the organization. I think that's a huge step forward for the team and the fans. All of a sudden there's a vibrant, young product stepping onto the ice night in and night out. Getting TV exposure is a big deal as well as we've seen in Chi-town.

Chicago is one of the 'grandfathers' of the NHL - and I mean no disrespect to the organization as almost everybody loves or likes them. BUT, the difference recently is that the NHL wants success to come to every team - parity they call it. When the Hawks were floundering for those years, fans were being alienated and frustrated. When they got the two top picks, Tallon and his group were further able to change the complexion of the organization and make it a proud group again.

And Dave, honestly, everyone in the NHL is happy that this renaissance is happening.

Obviously, losing seasons isn't lost on a Sens fan. We suffered through an expansion draft with talent that wouldn't be fit for an AHL roster, our first major pick was a semi-bust, our second major pick was a headcase. When we finally got the first overall pick again and prayed to make amends, there wasn't a strong player to choose (not offensive Chris Phillips, but you'd be a mid-round selection in my books), then we had an American that we picked in the top spot tell us to get bent - luckily we were able to parlay him into Wade Redden.

We played in a Civic Center that allowed for 10,000 people - and there wasn't a night where we weren't absolutely smoked in there. And yet, we continued going, even though the Avalanche were coming at us with Sakic, Forsberg, Roy and others.

Ownership? Our owner went bankrupt. If we weren't in a Canadian city with major fan interest, we'd be in Nantucket right now.

Now, I do realize that the Hawks are a part of the Original Six - and I do realize that you've been way longer suffering, but still, I understand what it means to get the opportunity to get a top pick - and what an impact - either positive or negative it can make on an organization. We're witnessing it in Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago and soon on the Island.

I guess as one who hasn't conjured up the past too often, I wish we could build a time machine and get it right back in the early 90s. Perhaps to go along with Chris Pronger, we could have made a selection that wasn't Yashin and the culture of this team could have been cemented early instead of garnering the label of 'soft European'.

In other words, I wish we had approached things differently when we sucked. Smile

25Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 11:11 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hard to imagine we had two 1st picks overall in a row - 1995 and 1996.

26Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Hard to imagine we had two 1st picks overall in a row - 1995 and 1996.

Damn...

27Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 11:44 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

How do the Cubs figure into this? I heard that there's a big wheel from that team calling the shots for the Hawks and that he's looking to axe Tallon.

Also, there was mention of Scotty Bowman caught screaming at Tallon on camera after a goal against in Game 1 of the present series. WTF?

28Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 12:01 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I respect that Tallon changed the culture inside the organization. I think that's a huge step forward for the team and the fans. All of a sudden there's a vibrant, young product stepping onto the ice night in and night out. Getting TV exposure is a big deal as well as we've seen in Chi-town.

Chicago is one of the 'grandfathers' of the NHL - and I mean no disrespect to the organization as almost everybody loves or likes them. BUT, the difference recently is that the NHL wants success to come to every team - parity they call it. When the Hawks were floundering for those years, fans were being alienated and frustrated. When they got the two top picks, Tallon and his group were further able to change the complexion of the organization and make it a proud group again.

And Dave, honestly, everyone in the NHL is happy that this renaissance is happening.

Obviously, losing seasons isn't lost on a Sens fan. We suffered through an expansion draft with talent that wouldn't be fit for an AHL roster, our first major pick was a semi-bust, our second major pick was a headcase. When we finally got the first overall pick again and prayed to make amends, there wasn't a strong player to choose (not offensive Chris Phillips, but you'd be a mid-round selection in my books), then we had an American that we picked in the top spot tell us to get bent - luckily we were able to parlay him into Wade Redden.

We played in a Civic Center that allowed for 10,000 people - and there wasn't a night where we weren't absolutely smoked in there. And yet, we continued going, even though the Avalanche were coming at us with Sakic, Forsberg, Roy and others.

Ownership? Our owner went bankrupt. If we weren't in a Canadian city with major fan interest, we'd be in Nantucket right now.

Now, I do realize that the Hawks are a part of the Original Six - and I do realize that you've been way longer suffering, but still, I understand what it means to get the opportunity to get a top pick - and what an impact - either positive or negative it can make on an organization. We're witnessing it in Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago and soon on the Island.

I guess as one who hasn't conjured up the past too often, I wish we could build a time machine and get it right back in the early 90s. Perhaps to go along with Chris Pronger, we could have made a selection that wasn't Yashin and the culture of this team could have been cemented early instead of garnering the label of 'soft European'.

In other words, I wish we had approached things differently when we sucked. Smile

Heater, thank you, my friend.

This exchange of views is as important as it is spirited.

Here's to the success of our favourites.

:___:

29Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 12:08 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:How do the Cubs figure into this? I heard that there's a big wheel from that team calling the shots for the Hawks and that he's looking to axe Tallon.

Also, there was mention of Scotty Bowman caught screaming at Tallon on camera after a goal against in Game 1 of the present series. WTF?

The 'big wheel' you mention may possibly be a reference to John McDonough, President of the Chicago Blackhawks. As President, he logically 'calls the shots' as you put it.

His bio from ChicagoBlackhawks.com:

JOHN McDONOUGH
PRESIDENT

John McDonough was named president of the Chicago Blackhawks on November 20, 2007. Under McDonough’s guidance, the Blackhawks moved quickly to revitalize the team’s profile and re-energize its fan base. The club welcomed back Blackhawk legends and Hall of Famers Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita and Tony Esposito as official team ambassadors, and announced the inaugural Blackhawks Convention – the first of its kind in the National Hockey League.

In a landmark partnership with Comcast SportsNet and WGN Television, the Blackhawks announced that all 82 regular season games would be televised for the first time in franchise history. The Blackhawks also announced an exciting new radio partnership that united two Chicago institutions as “The Voice of Chicago,” WGN News/Talk 720, became the voice of the Blackhawks.

The aggressive initiatives resonated with Blackhawk fans as the team concluded the 2007-08 season with 12 sellout crowds and 13 crowds in excess of 20,000 fans. Overall, attendance for the 2007-08 season increased 47% from the previous year with merchandise revenue up a staggering 175%. Additionally, season ticket sales for the 2008-09 season increased by more than 300%.

Prior to joining the Blackhawks, McDonough served as president of the Chicago Cubs. During his tenure, the Cubs won the 2007 National League Central Division while setting an all-time franchise attendance record. As the Cubs chief, and in his previous role as senior vice president of marketing and broadcasting, he was widely viewed as a sports marketing and management innovator who played a major role in growing the Cubs’ fan base and attracting sponsorships for one of the most successful pro sports franchises in America.

During his 24 years with the Cubs organization, the club consistently reached record attendance and revenue figures. In addition, McDonough was the architect of the celebrity “guest conductor” 7th inning stretch concept at Wrigley Field and created the annual Cubs Convention, which is now viewed as a prototype for professional team and league fan festivals.

With McDonough’s many achievements have also come several honors and awards, including Major League Baseball’s Marketing Excellence Award; the Chicago Baseball Veterans Committee Man of the Year; Chicago Baseball Executive of the Year; and America’s Top Ten Marketing Executives by Promo Magazine.

He has also been recognized with the St. Mary’s University Alumni Appreciation Award; the Bill Veeck Lifetime Achievement Award; Notre Dame High School’s Hall of Fame; the 2008 Executive of the Year Award by the Chicago chapter of the Public Relations Society of America; and was named to the Chicagoland Sports Hall of Fame in 2008.

McDonough sits on the Board of Governance at Notre Dame High School, the Advisory board of directors for the Illinois chapter of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International, the Faculty Advisory Board at Northwestern University for Master of Arts in Sports Administration, the National Hockey League Club Business Advisory Board and the National Hockey League Board of Governors.

A Chicago native, McDonough is a graduate of Notre Dame High School in Niles, Ill., and St. Mary’s University in Winona, Minn. He currently resides in the Northwest suburbs with his wife, Karen. They have three children, Colleen, Ryan and Michael.

The 'axe Tallon' reference is one of HNIC gossip monger Al Strachan's latest fabrications.

As for the video purporting to show Scotty Bowman screaming at Tallon, Scotty, being the fiery competitor he is, was livid about Bryan Campbell's excursion at the end of Game One that led to the Canucks' winning goal. That's 'What the F&ck', which is probably one of the more polite things Scotty said.

Hope that clarifies things for you.
cool)

30Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 12:31 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:As for the video purporting to show Scotty Bowman screaming at Tallon, Scotty, being the fiery competitor he is, was livid about Bryan Campbell's excursion at the end of Game One that led to the Canucks' winning goal. That's 'What the F&ck', which is probably one of the more polite things Scotty said.

cool)

"Fiery competitor" or arsehole? What gives him the right?

I'm sure that if the Black Hawks make the Final, the Name Dropper will be assigning full credit to his hero.

31Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 12:34 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:

Heater, thank you, my friend.

This exchange of views is as important as it is spirited.

Here's to the success of our favourites.

:___:

Yeah Dave, for sure! One of the better conversations I've had on here in quite some time. :GHF:

32Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 12:54 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
davetherave wrote:As for the video purporting to show Scotty Bowman screaming at Tallon, Scotty, being the fiery competitor he is, was livid about Bryan Campbell's excursion at the end of Game One that led to the Canucks' winning goal. That's 'What the F&ck', which is probably one of the more polite things Scotty said.

cool)

I'm sure that if the Black Hawks make the Final, the Name Dropper will be assigning full credit to his hero.

SSF, what a colourful way of expressing yourself... Wink

For your information, Scotty Bowman is currently the "Senior Advisor of Hockey Operations for the Chicago Blackhawks". So one can deduce he is entitled to use whatever expletives he chooses when a player screws up.

BTW this purported video...did you see it? Did you hear what was said?

And as far as what Pierre McGuire thinks of Bowman, do you really care?

Cheers...and let's play hockey!

33Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term - Page 2 Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Tue May 05, 2009 1:00 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

cool)

SSF, what a colourful way of expressing yourself... Wink

For your information, Scotty Bowman is currently the "Senior Advisor of Hockey Operations for the Chicago Blackhawks". So one can deduce he is entitled to use whatever expletives he chooses when a player screws up.

BTW this purported video...did you see it? Did you hear what was said?

And as far as what Pierre McGuire thinks of Bowman, do you really care?

Cheers...and let's play hockey!

I knew Bowman was there in some "capacity". I'm not sure his made-up title entitles him to tear a strip off the GM.

Should be a good game tonight. :D:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum