GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Markus Naslund To Retire

+6
caissie_1
pgood
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
Nasty Nas
dennycrane
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Sun May 03, 2009 8:00 pm

A player needs to be 35 or older when he signs in order for his salary to count on the cap after he retires.

17Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Sun May 03, 2009 8:06 pm

dennycrane

Veteran
Veteran

My bet is he plays in the Swedish Elite League and goes to Vancouver with the national team.

18Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 8:34 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

dennycrane wrote:My bet is he plays in the Swedish Elite League and goes to Vancouver with the national team.

you may very well be right on this one, he probably will make oodles of money in his homeland, more than he would get here due to the taxation.

19Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 8:49 am

SensFan71 wrote:
dennycrane wrote:My bet is he plays in the Swedish Elite League and goes to Vancouver with the national team.

you may very well be right on this one, he probably will make oodles of money in his homeland, more than he would get here due to the taxation.
Sweden has one of the highest personal tax levels in the world.

20Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 9:04 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Sweden has one of the highest personal tax levels in the world.

oh, I figured it would be like the KHL, oh wait, Russia, totally different argument all together, I withdraw the reason then, am alarmed too that some people are getting taxed more than Canadians, or is it just that bad because we are the ones paying it and we like to complain?

21Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 12:47 pm

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:if it is true then the rangers get more cap space which makes life q little easier for them.....to bad Naslund had such a bad year he was pretty great player back when he was in Vancouver

Can you imagine if Murray had signed like he tried to last summer?
Would he still be "retiring"? I'm guessing no because he would've had a much better year in Ottawa...like maybe 47points Smile

....what is it with Rangers that makes people want to quit playing?

22Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The view from Europe on Naslund's retirement:

Näslund to retire

Star Swedish winger set World Junior goals record in 1993
04-05-09

www.iihf.com

BERNE – According to North American media reports, Markus Näslund of the New York Rangers is poised to announce his retirement from the NHL at age 35.

Näslund put up 24 goals and 22 assists in 82 games in his lone season with the Rangers, with whom he signed as a free agent on July 3, 2008. The Swedish veteran had one year remaining on his contract at $4 million.

Reportedly, his decision to retire was motivated by a feeling that he could no longer perform at a level that was personally satisfying.

The Örnsköldsvik-born forward leaves behind a mixed legacy. He certainly enjoyed many successes as an NHLer. Best-known as the captain of the Vancouver Canucks (2000-08), Näslund remains that franchise's career points leader (756), and also holds the single-season team record for most goals (48), assists (56), and points (104) by a left wing.

Näslund, however, was often criticized by fans and media for not leading the Canucks deeper into the playoffs than the second round in 2002-03. That season marked the peak of his glory years on a line with centre Brendan Morrison and right wing Todd Bertuzzi, which was among the league's most explosive and exciting in the pre-lockout NHL era dominated by defensive schemes. The three-time NHL All-Star generated most of his offence with his great skating and lightning wrist shot.

In IIHF competition, Näslund generally didn't perform at the same level he did as a pro.

His best outing came at the 1993 IIHF World Junior Championship in Sweden, where he set the record for most goals in one tournament (13) on a line with Peter Forsberg and Niklas Sundstrom, and won his second straight silver medal in a Tre Kronor jersey.

Yet afterwards, apart from a 10-point showing with Sweden's 1999 World Championship team that won bronze in Norway, Näslund seemed to struggle with expectations when representing his country.

He never had more than three points at any of his other senior IIHF tournaments (Worlds in 1993 and 2002, Olympics in 2002) or World Cups (1996, 2004).

He also had the misfortune of not getting to make up for the disastrous quarterfinal loss to Belarus at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, as he missed the golden glory of Torino 2006 with a groin injury.

Nonetheless, Näslund should be remembered as a classy and conscientious star, whether he ever makes a comeback in the NHL or Swedish Elitserien or not. His #19 jersey will likely be retired by the Canucks in the near future.

LUCAS AYKROYD/IIHF

---

23Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 3:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Reportedly, his decision to retire was motivated by a feeling that he could no longer perform at a level that was personally satisfying.

That's a very, very mature thing to do if it's true. His level of play has deteriorated so badly that there must be more behind it - like a series of nagging injuries that have slowed him down, that kind of thing.

The will to win a Cup is so strong though, I'm kinda surprised that he'd hang 'em up without giving it another chance.

24Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Reportedly, his decision to retire was motivated by a feeling that he could no longer perform at a level that was personally satisfying.

That's a very, very mature thing to do if it's true. His level of play has deteriorated so badly that there must be more behind it - like a series of nagging injuries that have slowed him down, that kind of thing.

The will to win a Cup is so strong though, I'm kinda surprised that he'd hang 'em up without giving it another chance.

At 35 years of age, sometimes the body tells you...it's time.

25Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 4:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Quite true Dave. I feel badly for him, he really wanted to win a Cup. Good luck to him in the future.

26Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

The best of luck to him.

I'm very surprised that he's retiring right now, he's still young enough. I'm assuming he gets injured quite a bit though.

27Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 4:25 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I guess at one point in your life you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. If he's injury prone, he probably wants to make sure he retires before he does irreparable damage to himself. You need to think about your health and your family.

28Markus Naslund To Retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Markus Naslund To Retire Mon May 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

According to tsn.ca

New York Rangers forward Markus Naslund has announced his retirement after 15 seasons in the National Hockey League.

The 35-year-old veteran signed a two-year, $8 million contract as a
free agent with the Rangers last summer, and still had one year
remaining on the deal, worth $3 million.

"I would like to sincerely thank Glen Sather and the New York
Rangers for giving me the opportunity this past season in New York,"
said Naslund in a statement. "I would also like to thank the Vancouver
Canucks and all of their fans for their support over the 11-plus
seasons I was a part of their organization, as well as to the
Pittsburgh Penguins where I began my NHL career."

In 15 NHL seasons - 11 with the Canucks - Naslund compiled 395 goals
and 869 points in 1,117 games. He was drafted in the first round, 16th
overall, by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 1991 NHL Entry Draft. His
most productive season was 2002-03, when he scored 48 goals and tallied
104 points for Vancouver. He scored 40 or more goals three times.

The long-time Vancouver captain departed the team after the 2007-08
season as the club's franchise leader in goals (346), points (756),
power play goals (114), and game-winning goals (49).

"He was a player with great offensive instincts and he knew where
the back of the net was," said former Rangers head coach Tom Renney,
who coached Naslund in New York during the first part of this season.
"He might have had his best moments in Vancouver playing with Todd Bertuzzi and Brendan Morrison but he certainly added to a very dry offence in New York."

Naslund scored 46 points during his only campaign in New York, which
represented the fifth consecutive season of declining point production
for the native of Ornskoldsvik, Sweden.

New York would have had an opportunity to buy Naslund out in June,
at a total cost of $3 million in cap hits over the next two seasons.
Instead, with Naslund's departure, the Rangers will save $4 million in
salary cap space immediately for the 2009-10 season.

so apparently it will give the rangers immediate cap relief

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum